Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Non alphabetic characters

Started by Cary_B, August 30, 2020, 04:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cary_B

OK, Barry, here is a small problem I just notice.  I have a few artists that use special characters for their names.  Such as Blue Öyster Cult and Céline Dion.  When I build the library, all seems to go fine.  They show on the main albums screen just fine.  But when I search for them, I can't find them.  That is to be expected, I guess, as Ö isn't the same as O.  Not sure what to do about that except to remove the special characters and replace them with the English ones.

The real problem comes when you filter by Artist.  All special characters are stripped from the artist names, so Blue Öyster Cult becomes Blue yster Cult and Céline Dion becomes Cline Dion.  This really messes things up as now the artists are out of order and spelled wrong.  Also, no artist image is shown unless you name them without the special characters. 

I know there is an option to remove special characters in the config program, but I haven't tried it yet.  Will this just leave me with Blue yster Cult and Cline Dion?  If so, I am thinking that the only solution is to rename all the artist with special characters to remove them.  I don't really see another option, unless you have an idea I haven't thought of ..

Cary_B

Ok, just tested the Strip Alphanumeric Character option in the config program.  It seems to not do anything.  So I guess that option is out.

Mark Norville

I would suggest deleting your database and then rebuilding your database with strip enabled.

I have never trusted updating your library, so myself personally I would always delete and rebuild, however, do this at your own risk.

I would also never tag anything with a stupid character, I will always replace it with the proper letter.

Hope this might help a little bit.

Regards

Mark
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

Cary_B

Thanks. But I already did that. I always delete and rebuild. Strip characters only seems to remove apostrophes and such but not foreign characters. And I left them in because that is the true way to spell the bands name. I've been going for correctness when burning my CDs this last time to be 100% correct. Removing those characters actually makes the band names wrong. But I will do this if I have to. So using those characters isn't stupid. Just correct. You do what you feel is correct.

Mark Norville

I can understand what you are saying, but if you found a wallet in the street, and you had no food. Do you do the right thing and hand the wallet in, or spend the money in the wallet? If the wallet is empty then obviously it is worthless.

However, Prince changed his name to a symbol, but the albums that he done under that sign, do you try and represent it like that, or do you just call him Prince?

If you can cheat on one artist, then you can cheat on them all.

You always have to find a work around with most programs, especially etouch.

Regards

The artist formely known as Mark, but now M^ark
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

Barcrest

I did this for ease of coding and also ease of use. Those non alpha characters are best changed to their standard versions. So I have Motorhead, this is usually what people will search for. In and ideal world i would do a replace on search but it slowed it all down.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...