Karaoke files not playing

Started by Bondy, September 09, 2009, 02:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fordman

We'll try the obvious route first:

LEFT Click on the .cdg file and chose open with:

Then....

Click OK.

Open WMP then goto Options and make sure WMP is the default player for your MP3's

Click OK

Then, try to open the .cdg file by itself. It should play.

But if you get this error:

Then the .cdg file is corrupted or is a bad rip!

Alot of karaoke files found on the net or torrent sites are bad rips. I used Audiograbber to rip some karaoke files and some of those didnt turn out correctly.

:beer

Fordman

Woody

Bondy,

When you get the error the first time does it give you the option "open this file anyway" or "play this file anyway"? If so go ahead and open/play the file, after you do this one time you should not get this filetype error again.

Woody

eist1

Has anyone figured out how to get around the error "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file" When opening a .cdg in Windows Media Player? I have installed Karaoke 2.3 (and .cdg is associated with WMP), but when I try and double click the .cdg and Windows Media Player opens up, but then I get that error, if I hit Close and Play Again in WMP the file plays fine. But in E-Touch the files aren't playing because of the initial error message, which doesn't show up in E-Touch only when trying to open the fire directly. This is using WMP 12 if that makes any difference. can someone verify that this should work on WMP 12? Thanks

eist1

Well looks like there is an issue with WMP 11 and 12 and Karaoke. As I downgraded my XP PC from WMP 11 to 9 and it works fine. As soon as I upgrade to WMP 11 it breaks again. The issue I have is that I am building an All in One PC (ASUS 20" Widescreen) but it has Windows 7 installed (has all the touchscreen tools installed) so there will be an issue with Karaoke. Does anyone know of another WMP plugin that plays .cdg? Please let me know. Thanks

Barcrest

If you get the error that says the file doesn't match the expected type you can put a tick in to overwrite it. As for wmp11 i can use it fine with that. You might just need an updated CDG plugin to support WMP12.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

eist1

Ok, after a bunch of trial and error with Windows 7 and Windows Media Player 12 I have finally got everything to work (the same as WMP 11 on XP) I downgraded WMP 12 to WMP 11 with the following downgrade script Windows7WMPDowngrader_1.1.exe http://www.iamkizer.net/freeboxjukebox/files/skins/V4skins/Downloads/Windows7WMPDowngrader_1.1.exe Also I downloaded a newer version of Karaoke for DirectX which now allows videos for the karaoke screen background karaoke-3.0-beta3 http://www.iamkizer.net/freeboxjukebox/files/skins/V4skins/Downloads/karaoke-3.0-beta3.zip (Barry may want to include this updated karaoke zip in future versions of E-Touch.)

Here are the steps I took to downgrade from WMP 12 to WMP 11 on Windows 7:

1. Uninstall Karaoke for Direct X if you already have it installed (also go into Program Files and delete the folder if it is still there)
2. Do a regedit and seach the registry for .cdg and delete any entries it finds for .cdg
3. Run the Windows7WMPDowngrader_1.1.exe and let it do its install. After it's done reboot.
4. After rebooting install karaoke-3.0-beta3 and reboot again
5. After rebooting go into your Karaoke song folder and right click a .cdg file and choose Open With and then choose Windows Media Player and make sure the "Always use the selected program to open this type of file" box is checked
6. The .cdg should now open in WMP 11 and start playing (at least it did for me after doing this a few times)

Hope this helps some of you out

The only issue I am now having in E-Touch for any WMP 11 PC (XP and Windows 7) is that when first opening E-Touch if you choose a Karaoke song the ID3 Tag info does not show up when playing and when going into the Now Playing screen and hitting the lyrics box, it's jumps you back to the main album page. But if you hit the skip ahead arrow and play another Karaoke song, the ID3 Tag info shows up fine and you can go into the Now Playing screen and tap the lyrics box and it goes to full screen. I have recreated this on my Windows XP WMP 11 jukebox, and my Windows 7 WMP 11 PC with exactly the same issue. So it isn't specific to an operating system, just WMP 11. Maybe Barry could take a look at it and see if he can get the same thing happening with WMP 11 as I have. I know it worked the first time I tried it (after installing) but after the second try it starts occuring (only after first E-Touch boot up). Also, if Barry could get the Auto Full screen to work just on Karaoke/Video and not Audio that would be even better.

BTW, here's a screenshot using an image as a background for karaoke in E-Touch (go into the Karaoke for DirectX settings in the start menu and choose an image under the CD+G settings tab, I'm sure a video would even look cooler)

pwood999

Does anyone still have the WMP-11 downgrader ?

pwood999

Replying to my own post:    I found the "Windows7WMPDowngrader_1.1.exe" eventually.   

Also tried a clean install on a Win-7 32bit Virtualbox machine, and got the process to work.   I cannot get Win7-64 to work with Karaoke on any machine these days (64bit if fine for MPS only).     Also "karaoke_3.0" does not work for me, but the bundled "karaoke_2.3" does work.

So unless someone knows better, I will be installing 32-bit on my HP i5 All-in-One so we can have Kaaoke working this weekend (grandaughter's christening)

Barcrest

To be fair I have not used Karaoke on my jukebox for ages. Tend to just use music videos on it now days, glad you did get it resolved though.

Jukebox Stats...

pwood999

Update on my setup & success.    I completely failed to get either WMP-11 downgrade to work in Win7-64bit no matter what I tried . . . . and yes I tried all the procedures I can find on here.   

Was testing the latest v10 on my other laptop which already had Windows 10, and found that simply installing E-Touch, and then Karaoke_2.3 fro9m the e-Touch folder, it all works with WMP-12 in Win10 64bit.  Seems WMP-12 is no longer the issue (maybe MS fixed it?).

So I decided to upgrade the old Windows 7-64bit on my HP Touchsmart using the "Win 10 Free process".   The upgrade took a while due to the HDD speed, but afterward I simply re-installed Karaoke_2.3 and it works.   :)   Time will tell if the windows updates break it, but most of the time the jukebox has no internet !!

Finally new SSD arrived today, so I'm in the process of upgrading the HDD to SSD to speed it up a bit.

Barcrest

I am just using a stock 64bit Windows 10 myself. The dev machine is still windows 7 but that is because i don't want to stop anything working.

Jukebox Stats...