Started by spudgunman, May 14, 2008, 10:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spudgunman

Hello everyone,

I present

Config6 Alpha - June 05 release
alpha version .77

http://www.iamkizer.net/freeboxjukebox/files/config/Config6ALPHA-June5.zip

Again huge credit to frosty for his work and Barry for why we are all here. and Kizer for hosting

known issues:
If your computer is on a domain some errors on folder selecting
export to config5 will throw errors for years and genere
.tag not fully tested
command line not tested
if you scan a path with no folders funky things happen

if you report errors please post up and good looking bits from the error.txt

spudgunman

fixed some more bugs and updated the package again. I see a few downloads anyone have any feedback? Your feedback on the app sort of directly effects the incorporation of the DB function into new versions of FJB, also I work for feedback.

eist1

I was able to download the original version earlier, but get this "Sorry, the page you requested was not found." now when trying to download the updated version.

draginit

probably maxed the bandwidth!?
Just when you thought it not possible....TwelveNinedy

spudgunman

likely, it works right now. They reset the bandwidth meter ever hour. so if you cant get it wait till the next hour on the clock. (this is due to the free hosting server) or i just messed up the name, i just repasted the link to avoid confusion.

eist1

spud,

It's working now, just downloaded it, I will try it out on my test library and see how it works. If freebox starts using the sqllite db, will it then technically be able to support embedded artwork? As there looks to be a db section for artwork. Thanks to both of you for putting time into this....

squirrellydw

yes, thank you very much.  I like that you are helping out, take some work off of Barry
Graphic creator of the original BnB, BnR, BnO and BnG Skin
Coffee is the man now

Barcrest

The DB section for artwork is an idea frosty had about putting the artwork in the DB. This is not as good an idea as it seems. It will make the DB huge and it offers no speed increase when loading the files over what we have now. However switching to SQLite should mean that searches will be a lot faster and we can do more filtering easier. There shouldn't be any need for the seperate genre libs and artist libs.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

spudgunman

well i would say the glob is one part the application change, the ability to deal with the data in a structured manner is the big change. from my testing so far the db size change isnt a huge issue
-also disk usage isnt as much of a problem now-a-days but application memory is.

I think the biggest value change (in globs) is that the lack of disk spin time to load the jpg which could cause mp3 stream issues vs having them in the local db so windows file API search isnt needed

this glob idea is could be turned off if disk space is a issue.

eist1

Tried it out on my small Music library and my Karaoke library, and it seems very fast.... The only thing I found was that all the files (Karaoke and Audio) are being put under the Audio section, but other than that great start....

spudgunman

thanks I will bug that, I haven't tested with movies or Karaoke yet so I will get that on the debug list.

you can also right click stuff and delete from the DB

but im glad it works on other people collection, I did a lot of hacking to Barry's and Frosty's code and was scared that I ruined it.

pulled down a free CDG file (jingle bells) haha and
now I can test that I see the issue

Also when Barry has time I hope to incorporate the .tag editor into this application and give you a choice to make a tag on the fly is there isnt one.

netcat

I will be happyu to test it but am confussed

will this just enhance the speed in the generation of the databases OR will it spped up the search and execution of media INSIDE of freebox ?

spudgunman

this is just a "next gen" import tool. I cleaned up the tool and frosty invented a storage system into sql.

The clean up of the tool is just things that bothered me about the old application it was confusing to use.

The SQL switch will speed up searching in and out of the tool. Also i have 50,000+ mp3's in my DJ computer (im a simi-pro party DJ) and when I import this collection config5 will crash and the flat files are just a giant mess of data. With SQL i can create sql calls to manage the data in a format that is much cleaner then dealing with flat file and data fragment issues as well as import memory, with config 5 the import tool would kick my P43ghz box, with the new tool I dont have that issue.

the end experience with jukebox4 will be better memory management and a different way to search and store album graphics (and we were chatting about the benefits ^^^)

the execution of media in the jukebox application is depended on the jukebox code your HDD speed and memory in the system, however the end user will not notice much in the beginning. however in the future we can run reports on most played, keep play statics in a database when the computer shut's down. gather reports on cashflow, etc. This can all be done with flatfiles, however i am personally not a fan of VB6 ability to deal with flat file data.

this alpha code needs to undergo testing and further development with frosty/barry if that wont happen then I will likely try to rework config5 in its current state. but the benefits of the SQL-DB I hope are realized by the dev team. so that I can continue to help dev this project. But thats a B call. Im just here to give my experience with code to free up some time for B, I dont want anything but to make this product better.

You can run this application on your media collection and test it out. if you like it or find bugs let us know, if you dont let us know. It will not hurt your media, and it will not change anything with current jukebox (as jukebox4 cant read anything with SQL) its just a import tool demo.

netcat

I have had many problems in the past as well as I have now over 500 Gb of MP3s
another 300 worth of Karaoke
and at least 100 in MPGs

after much pleading I was able to persuade Barry to put some ERROR trapping inside of the current config (which I pressume you have kept in the new version)

otherwize I had to spend sometimes days figuring out on which files config was chocking, I have also talked with Barry in the past about using some sort of SQL database search within freebox which should prove to be much quicker and more efficient. is this were we are headed ?

Thanks.
Tony

kizer

Mirrored
http://www.iamkizer.net/freeboxjukebox/files/Config6ALPHA.zip

Feel free to update the first post in this thread if you like with it. Or make it the sole download source if you like I have the bandwith available for your use.
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)