Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

High Quality Album Art?

Started by James77, June 23, 2008, 06:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James77

Just wondering where people get really high quality album art? I am trying to get all the covers 500x500 or higher.

Thanks

Cary_B

Believe it or not, Wal-Mart.com has some of the best. Not over 500x500 though.

Otherwise, just use Google image search and check for use Images Showing = extra large.  Works sometimes

James77

Cool,
I will check out WallyWorld :)

justtaint

I was using a program called Album Art Downloader, it allowed me to pick which album art I wanted.  Nowadays I'm lazy and I use whatever Tag&Rename picks for me.

eist1

Buy.com also has all 500x500 images, very good quality. I use both Walmart and Buy.com

Barcrest

Don't forget in freebox you don't want the images to be much larger than 320 x 320 otherwise you might find it sluggish paging through albums.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

kizer

Amen. I spent a while reducing mine because they where to big. I did find a program that was basically command line that I drag and drop all my images on and it reduces the size down to 320x320. If anybody wants it remind me via PM.
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

andowhy

If you are after high quality covers have a look at http://www.allcdcovers.com/index.php - usually 1mb plus per image file.

Novalak

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

Microsoft tool, right click re size

you can highlight as many as you want also

on the point of 320x320, why so small? i use 500x500, your saying im speed is affected by this?

squirrellydw

if you have a fast PC probably not but if its sorta old yes.
Graphic creator of the original BnB, BnR, BnO and BnG Skin
Coffee is the man now

mfacer

is there a tool which would look up album covers automatically? maybe you point it to your albums (folders) and enter websites for it to lookup? (allcd, amazon, walmart etc)

Barcrest

Quote from: Novalak on June 24, 2008, 04:19:39 AM
on the point of 320x320, why so small? i use 500x500, your saying im speed is affected by this?

The speed degredation is due to the size of the image. Freebox has to load up and re-size 12 images so the smaller the filesize the better as this is 12 disc reads. I have found 320 x 320 to be a good comprimise of quality and mainting speed.

Jukebox Stats...

James77

andowhy,

Allcdcovers has some really nice scans, thanks.  I noticed that some of them are not 500x500, or 1000x1000, but rather 1200x1030, some odd sizes.  I wonder why that is?
  I am worried now that Freebox will be a little slow.  I will just have to make a test run of a few albums and see how it loads.
eist1, buy.com has nice scans too.

Thanks

Barcrest

Test it with large album covers and smaller covers. You will see it's quicker with smaller covers. It is not the fault of freebox just the fact it takes longer to load 12 big images as opposed to 12 smaller ones.

Jukebox Stats...

frosty

I have been coding a way around this, here it is in a nutshell

1) grab the highest quality art you can, drop it in your album folders.
2) use config 6 to build the database, put a check in "chache album art".
3) during the build, the config will put a thumbnail size image in a cache folder inside the freebox directory.
4) freebox can then pull the thumbnails from the cache folder for album pages, etc. and full sized image from the album folder for the track selection screen, now playing screen, etc.

This change is Dependant on the new database back end being integrated into freebox though.

Frosty