News:

Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Using Your IPod (and other Players) with Freebox (Including Album Art)

Started by eist1, March 12, 2008, 07:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eist1

If anyone is interested in using your IPod (and other Players) with Freebox, I got it working, and with the Album Art showing for Album covers. The trick is you need to load Rockbox http://www.rockbox.org/ on your IPod first because it uses a single folder on your IPod for all music (you need to set your IPod up as Disk Mode) and as you add albums to that folder it will scan your IPod drive and add any new albums to your IPod/Rockbox database. So you can just copy your Freebox folders to your Ipod and as long as the Album art is in each folder, you can point the Freebox Config3 to that folder on your IPod and get the music and album art in Freebox (I believe Rockbox uses embedded artwork for the IPod). The Rockbox app is also nice for the Ipod as it adds MANY games (including Pacman and Doom) to it and adds the functionality to many different formats. Just thought I'd let anyone know it's possible to do in Freebox. I have mentioned to Barry to allow multiple album libraries, so when the IPod is not attached you could point to main library, but when IPod attached could switch to IPod library. Also, if your IPod was attached in disk drive mode the Download function would be nice to download folders of music to the IPod while in disk drive mode (But it would need to put it in the correct Artist/Album folders to work with Freebox, but would work fine in Rockbox, as Rockbox uses ID3 Tags, so could use one folder in Rockbox for multiple songs/albums). So the ability to choose where the downloads go would need to be added to Freebox.

acejas

Great write up and I would like to add this will not work with 6th Generation ipods (80gb and 160gb)
and 2nd generation Nanos.

Im waiting until there is a 3rd party plugin/program that will work with these ipods before i buy one