Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

LeapinLew: Jukebox 2.0

Started by LeapinLew, November 02, 2008, 07:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeapinLew

I built this and made the original posts on BYOAC because I wanted to get as much exposure for Freebox as possible.

I wanted to post it here for you guys who don't get to BYOAC.

So I have been wanting to upgrade my jukebox that I built a little over 2 years ago. I was trying to decide if I was going to build one from scratch, or convert something. When I found a stand up Midway Touchmaster 7000 with a broken monitor for a very good price - I jumped on it.

I squirreled it away, and I've built quite a few projects waiting to work on this. Well, now's the time. For those of you who don't know what a stand up Midway touchmaster cabinet looks like, here it is:

This isn't my cabinet, but I failed to take a picture of it before I stated working on it.

Here is the first pic of my cabinet:

The plan is to drop in a new 19" monitor in the bottom and install a 12" LCD in the top section. I'm going to reuse the bezel and all the metal components. I'm going to cut new wood sides  with 3/4" Sandeply and use black laminate for the finish.

I started on it this weekend and was able to get the wood components cut and started laminating. I used a flush trim bit to cut out new sides.

And here it is put together:

Test fitting the marquee and bezel:

Laminated front:

The cool thing about using this cabinet as a template is all the decision work, such as the height of the screen, angle of the monitor, etc, is already done. I was also able to re-use the touchscreen overlay off the old monitor - which was a good find since those overlay's can be expensive.

I'm going to use Freebox since it rocks.

LeapinLew

I purchased a 19" Wells Gardner SVGA monitor to mount in this cabinet. I needed to transfer the new monitor to the old frame:

After some maneuvering, I managed to get it moved.

LeapinLew

Been slow moving on this one as I had to finish another project. I'm back on the jukebox and made some progress.

Here it is all rebuilt.

In the background, you can see my last jukebox that I'm replacing with this one.

It's built pretty solid. Glued and screwed, baby!

I mounted the T-molding, speaker grills, and test fitted everything:

This is an inside view of the speaker grills.

I'm using these black metal speaker grills on the inside and I have some large chrome ones to mount on the outside. I'm using 12" speaker grills and 10" Neon rings mounted inside the holes.

LeapinLew

Here is the marquee area almost done. I have a few decisions to make on how I'm going to finish it, but I'm sure I'll have something figured out soon.

It's a 12" 4:3 LCD. It's from a Point Of Sale (POS) system and I'm not at all impressed with it. I'd say POS stands for something else. Anyone know where I can get a decent 12" LCD? I considered a 15" widescreen LCD, but it's actually too big.

LeapinLew

Got the computer setup today. This should give you an idea of the screen size in the marquee area. 12" vs 19".

Spent nearly the whole day working on the top monitor mount. I still have some finishing work to do on it. I mounted the main monitor. Hopefully next weekend I'll be finishing up with it.

LeapinLew

All done! The biggest pain in the ass was the marquee/video window. Overall, it turned out pretty nice. I recommend this route for anyone else looking to do a jukebox. Finding a used megatouch without any boards is getting easier since they've phased out the CRT models in favor of the LCD ones.

So finishing pics:

Marquee/Video Window is on a 12" LCD. I originally had some issues with these LCD's, but after setting the MHZ to the proper amount (70MHZ) it displays just fine.

Here it is with a video playing. The video has a green tint to it (it's not the screen)

All thats left is to get the black and red skin working. I'm working Barry Barcrest and his team to get it.

Speaking of Freebox... it's an absolute rock solid, easy to use program. It comes VERY highly recommended by me. You can get it at www.freeboxjukebox.com. Good stuff.

For those of you curious, I used a 12" speaker grill and 10" red neon speaker rings to fit inside. It's a bit on the flashy side, but I think a jukebox needs to be flashy with some raz-a-ma-taz.

And thats going to do it for me for this year - I've already put the tools up. I only published a few projects on BYOAC this year since I didn't do too many innovations. If you'd like to see any more pics or anything, let me know. I'll be posting a youtube clip shortly.

LeapinLew

Excuse the blur in the beginning...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8V4owMT4XM

The only unfinished bits is the blue and black skin. I can't seem to get the 800x600 red and black to work. It's not a huge deal. No one notices really.

Thanks again Barry! This project wouldn't have been possible with Freebox!

Barcrest

I am hoping eist will update the 800x800 black and red skin. I have made some changes to the skintool that should enable him to bring the skins upto date with the current release.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

kizer

Looks good Lew

Mines not even close to yours. I basically stopped at a prototype box and well that is as far as I got with it.

I'm kind of partial to that design. ;)
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)