Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Feature Request: Request Feature!

Started by ScAtMaN, November 24, 2008, 03:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScAtMaN

When I finally get my juke up and running for parties I want to try and keep it upto date with new releases.
Now I envisage my partygoers  saying: "The jukebox is wicked man but you could really do with some *random artist here* that would be the bomb!"

Now I could keep a notepad and pen nearby and jot down all the requests but seeing as its the 21st Century could there be a way to have a requests screen, perhaps off from the search screen, where a user could type in there wants?  It could use the existing on-screen keyboard and just save it in some .txt file somewhere and every week/month I could take a look and pick the top ones to download.

Would this be something other people would find useful?

How easy Barry would this be to add?

Barcrest

Easiest way is to add a button that comes up when a search returns 0 results that says REQUEST TRACK  or something simular. Maybe the button could be there on the search results screen all the time i'm not sure. It's an easy thing to add, i would just need to know how you wanted it displayed.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

ScAtMaN

Hmmm... I think you are right, have it on the search results screen if its not found, that way people would not be requesting tracks that may already be on the system.

It would be great if this can be added, your a star!

While we are talking about the search screen is there a way to turn off the history list when typing in queries, as discussed here: http://www.freeboxjukebox.com/Forum/index.php?topic=1060.msg9805#msg9805

kizer

I think just a text file would be great. In my opinion it doesn't really need to be visable for everybody to view just the juke operator.

I've had the samething a few times when people have asked me for X
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

Novalak

problem is with the 0 results, what if you type a song which has 2 versions from 2 artists, you type in the song name and you get 1 result - but it aint the one you want

i.e Cats in the cradle

you want harry chapman but you get ugly kid joe

i think there just needs to be a button, i think its up to the owner to do a collation themselves

Barcrest

So you think i need to have a request track button on the same screen as the go search button or on the search results screen. Also I assume you want it displayed all the time...

Here is how i propose it,
Place it on the search results screen and have it visible all the time. When it is clicked it writes to a requests.txt with the date and time it was requested.

If that is how you guys want it that is what i will impliment in the next beta.

Jukebox Stats...

kizer

Would the user be able to type in their request? or would it be automatically filled in with what was originally searched and came back with 0 requests.
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

Novalak

i think it should be freeform text where they can type artist and album in which it then displays in the txt file as

[Timestamp] Artist - Album

Barcrest

For ease of implimentation it was going to just use the search string. Initially this is what i am going with, later it could be tailored.

Jukebox Stats...

Novalak

sure makes sense, although you either type in artist, title or album...

hard to find when there is only 1 of them...when there is 2 or more much easier to find

and i think the option should be displayed always as per my post above

Barcrest

I will display it all the time. It will be on the search results screen.

Jukebox Stats...

Novalak

Quote from: Barcrest on November 27, 2008, 06:33:52 AM
For ease of implimentation it was going to just use the search string. Initially this is what i am going with, later it could be tailored.

i think you missed what i meant

ie i search for song title of "smooth". Its not there, so i press request and it writes in the request file "Smooth"

How the hell do i know what the person meant?

ScAtMaN

Good point Novalak.  Perhaps we need at least an artist name and song name field box.
I agree we should have the button displayed all the time.

Barcrest

Quote from: Novalak on November 27, 2008, 03:09:17 PM

ie i search for song title of "smooth". Its not there, so i press request and it writes in the request file "Smooth"

Because it will write the Search type, search word, date and time.

Eg.
Title, Smooth, 25/11/08, 12:52am

I think adding extra input methods would make the thing appear to bloated.

Jukebox Stats...

Novalak

Quote from: Barcrest on November 27, 2008, 09:14:51 PM
Quote from: Novalak on November 27, 2008, 03:09:17 PM

Because it will write the Search type, search word, date and time.

Eg.
Title, Smooth, 25/11/08, 12:52am

I think adding extra input methods would make the thing appear to bloated.

you might be right

i mean, artist we can find...album will be a little hard, title will be close to impossible