Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Freebox Crashes Win2K Service Pack4

Started by jonfinpausa, April 25, 2007, 11:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonfinpausa

If you find that Freebox is randomly crashing and leaving you at the desktop with no start menu just start freebox back up and close freebox normally, this restores the start menu on the desktop.I have found if you unzip and run the Karaoke install for Karaoke support, located in the Freebox Directory this will solve the random crashing problem when Freebox is set to random play.I have been trouble shooting this problem for what seems to be a decade and the solution was accidently found when I decided to start playing with the karaoke features of Freebox.

We should try to get this in the tech notes some place.

Fish 

kizer

Ive been trying to keep notes of threads so I can update the online manual some. I admit Ive been slacking a bit for one reason or another, but I'll be all over it in the next day or two. This is the thread and please feel free to post links to threads you'd like to see included or heck direct into the thread. I want to get all of the hiding of PC stuff into it as well that you did a while back too.

http://www.freeboxjukebox.com/Forums/index.php?topic=25.0
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

jonfinpausa

Ahh take your time bro, I didnt mean to make work for anybody, I just didnt want everybodys time to be waisted.This bug was driving me crazy for a long time so I hope it doesnt get lost in the shuffle.

;)

kizer

Exactly and I didn't take it any other way. I know Barcrest is busy as all heck and thats why I volunteered a while back to get it going and keep it up. Like life we all get busy, but have to come back to what we started.  ;D
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

Jeff22

sweet, i've been having the random crashes for a long time as well.  I just downloaded the 2.2.18 update last night and ran it for 4 hours on random with no problems.  Previously it would crash after about an hour and half i couldn't pin point it to one song.

Try downloading the new version it seems to be fixed but i think it needs more testing.

Well i ran version 2.2.18 for 7 hours on random play and it was still going.

jonfinpausa

Woo Hoo !

Im glad someone else has experianced this problem with 2K SP4, I thought I was loosing my mind for awhile. ;)

Fish

Jeff22

yeah i'm running win2k pro with service pack 4.  Freebox would randomly crash on the Win2kpro machine and i was running the same version of the juke on an XP machine and it wouldn't ever crash. I'm not sure why it was doing that but it seems to be working fine now.

kizer

2K pro here with service pack 4 and its never crashed. I can run it for hours and hours and nothing. Stable as a rock.

Jeff22

hmm i wonder what the difference is.  I have a dedicated juke computer that has the OS and freebox on it.  The only other programs i'm running on it are the driver and support program for my touchscreen monitor and a linksys wireless card.  I built the computer only for freebox and nothing else, i put the wireless network on it so that i can transfer files between my main computer and jukebox computer.

I don't know why freebox was crashing. anyway i'm just glad it got sorted out on it's own.  I didn't try the karoake file thing but if i have the problem again i'll try that. 

Are you running a touchscreen on yours?  When i first set up the jukebox i was having a lot of trouble running the jukebox and the touchsreen but that has been sorted out as well.

jonfinpausa

I run all touch screens and had the crahing problem then discovered running the karaoke zip file to update the directx driver sorted out the crashes.

Fish

kizer

Im running an ELO touch screen, Firefox browser, Win2k with service pack 4, newest version of Freebox.

Jeff22

hmm that's really strange that you never had the crashing problem.  that's the same set up i have.  ELO touchscreen, win2k pro service pack 4.  I'm running the wireless card but that shouldn't have anything to do with freebox at all.

Did you ever have the crashing problem?  not even with older versions of freebox?  like i said the new version seems to be damn near perfect i haven't found any problems with it yet.

jonfinpausa

As I mentioned in the beginning of this thread I did have the problem, thats why I started the thread.The solution appeared to be installing directX support for karaoke files.
I have not seen the crashing behavior since I installed the karaoke support. ;)

Fish