Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Kizers Jeep Project

Started by kizer, April 30, 2007, 03:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kizer

Well it has sorta begun. Parts are being purchased and this is the beginning.

Well it looks like I actually get some money back from my taxes. Yeah I waited until the day of to do my taxes because I'm nuts. ;)

Ive been dieing to build a little PC to run a GPS system. I laid down some cash and well this is what It is.

-  Jetway J7F2WE2G-OC-PB
-  2.0 GHz 20 Watt VIA C7
-  100GB 2.5" Seagate SATA
-  512MB Kingston DDR2 PC4200/533MHz
-  Slim External Self Powering USB 2.0 Panasonic 8124b  DVD ROM/CD R/RW
-  80 Watt DC-DC
-  Automatic Startup/Shutdown Power Controller with Shutdown Delay
-  Miniature SiRf III USB GPS receiver

drive is insulated with medium density rubber grommets both above and below the mounting point.

When I get a monitor I plan on using these software packages for on and off trail us.
Road use http://www.inavcorp.com/products/iguidance3_qtour.html
Oddly enough the on road software is shown in a Palm pilot however I'm going to run the PC version, which is a lot larger. I used it on a buddy of mines laptop and holly crap it rocks. If you ever used Streets and Trips forget about it. This thing actually locks in your location.

Offroad use http://www.oziexplorer3.com/eng/preview.html
OziExplorer is interactive, it allows you to work, on your computer screen, with digital maps that you have purchased or scanned yourself.  By using these maps OziExplorer allows you to plan your trip by creating waypoints, routes and tracks on screen and upload these to your GPS.

Oddly enough the on road software is shown in a Palm pilot however I'm going to run the PC version, which is a lot larger. I used it on a buddy of mines laptop and holly crap it rocks. If you ever used Streets and Trips forget about it. This thing actually locks in your location.

As well Im planning on running the same software I use for my home touch screen Jukebox. http://www.freeboxjukebox.com
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

kizer

Welp its not really a writeup since I didn't take any photos of what I did simply because I thought it wouldn't work at first. ;) I might for my second version.

5/8 inch square tubing
Piece of crap shelving
1 24-inch 1/4-inch threaded rod
Hand full of 1-inch black screws
sPOD switch panel.
Black ABS plastic I had from a shelf 10 3/4-inches x 2 6-inches

Well I wanted a shelf because Ive been looking at over head consoles and honestly the price wasn't in my budget and I didn't need a locking box to hide my stuff. I needed a way to suspend my CB, Satelitte antenna for Sirius radio. I'm adding a computer for GPS and needed a method of suspending my 7-inch monitor and the GPS antenna, which will also play my MP3s via Freeboxjukebox.

Anyways heres some photos. Im sure somebody could come up with a way to use the factory footman loop to do something like it.

In the end I might take it all off and spray it black to hide the well ghettoness of it all. ;) Everything will bolt on top and I might place some more metal on top to make it less theft proof, but since my Jeep is garaged when its not on the trail. I think I spent roughly 20bux for the aluminum and threaded rod. The shelving is from a pile that was laying in the corner of my garage that I said someday I would do something with.

I suppose I could pick up some of that strapping that uses a screw driver to tighten it. For the life of me I can't remember what the strapping is called, but oh well for now.

This is the Jeep its going into. ;)
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

kizer

My little screen arrived a few days ago and today I just gave it a try. Its a 7-inch Lilliput touch screen monitor. Damn its small, but seems to work very well. The monitor I'm comparing  it to is a 15-inch ELO touch screen. I have my Jukebox software on the little guy

I had issues with the computer so I sent it back to the builder. The builder paid for all shipping and is rebuilding me another one and I can't wait. ;)

Barcrest

That's sweet, although i would display less covers on the small screen to make it easier to use. You might also want to show less tracks and make the labels larger so it's easier to press... With a small amount of tweaking the skin it should be easier to use on a screen of that size.

Anyway it's looking like a sweet build dude, well done.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

jonfinpausa

DOOD !!! That Rocks !!!  :o

Make sure you post up a list of the parts and cost, Im thinking of adding Freebox to my Mini Cooper which already has a touch screen and NAV.

Fish

Barcrest

Quote from: jonfinpausa on May 14, 2007, 10:47:34 AM
DOOD !!! That Rocks !!!  :o

Make sure you post up a list of the parts and cost, Im thinking of adding Freebox to my Mini Cooper which already has a touch screen and NAV.

Fish

Hmmm that would a BMW Mini Cooper right? As opposed to the ones made at the old Austin Rover Plant in Longbridge which is actually only a couple of miles from my house.... I used to own a metro 6R4, that was crazy mental but it never had a touchscreen jukebox in it :(
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

jonfinpausa

yes sir that would be correct ! Built in Oxford England and the Mini Cooper plant.

Here is a link to catch it in action, or just me showing off... LOL

http://home.jonsnet.net/burnout/

Fish

kizer

Yeah its going to have less albums, but I wanted to see what it looked like compaired to the bigger 15-inch next door.

Im just waiting for my new computer. I ordered a 2.0ghz and I was shipped a 1.5ghz. I sent back the 1.5 and just waiting for the 2.0 to arrive to begin playing. ;)