Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Can anyone help me out with this question

Started by Bondy, June 06, 2009, 10:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bondy

Hiya guys

Have a question i was hoping someone on the board could help me with, i was wondering how i could wire a car amp to my pc so i could run a sub and a set of 6 x 9's

I have searched google but havnt really been able to quite understand what to do im hoping someone can explain this step by step for me as im not to clever with stuff like this

thanks in advance to anyone who helps me
What Dont Kill Me Only Makes Me Stronger ..... !!

Barcrest

speak to smidsy he's done it on a few proteus conversions.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

Novalak

mate it is easy, and im doing this in my jukebox

What i recommend you do it search on youtube, they have a video showing it

i would give you the link but youtube is blocked at work

fordman

You need to follow a few steps:

1) You need a stand alone ATX power supply (300 watt or better for better results). I recommend this because the power is dedicated to your amp and not powering anything else. Some will tell you just to attach a wire from your computer power supply, but car amp's need alot of power. Also attaching the power from a computer gives you some harddrive, cd-drive or just bad grounding noises picked up and passed though the amp and you can really hear them loud.

Then take the power supply and follow the diagram below:

After you have done this, then take a wire from port 10 to the main 12V+ power port on the amp. Then take a jumper wire from the 12V+ on the amp to the Remote port on the amp. Run a wire from one of the empty COM ports (Negative or Ground) on the ATX power supply connector to the Ground port on the AMP. Wire the speakers up accordingly and there you have power up the amp. See Below:

Run the audio from your PC to the amp with one of these:

A 3.5mm plug to RCA Male cable. Plug in the RCA cable to the Low input on the Amp.

And there you have the sound you've been looking for. This has worked for me on 3 different projects!

I hope this helps!  :beer

Fordman

Barcrest

WOW Fordman, that's a sweet little guide there. I'm thinking of going that route the next time as running off the same PSU as the PC is generating a fair bit of nosie through the speakers as you said.

Jukebox Stats...

fordman

Here in the U.S.A. you can get a 400W ATX Power Supply new for $20.00 http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0255735 sometimes for even less if there is a rebate attached to it. Some get their panities in a wad by buying the cheaper power supply units, but for powering a car amp or to power a jukebox setup, these will do fine as the jukebox only needs to power the mobo, hard drive & fans. I dont have cd drives on my jukebox. I rip the music and tag as needed on my office PC then transfer the music!

Fordman

Woody

Ford,

You can also use the -12v pin on the power supply if you need more power, wire the -12v as ground to the amp unit, the speakers are wired as usual from the amp. You must be carefull that niether speaker wires touch chassis ground as a voltage potential exists from chassis ground to both leads one being negative the other positive. The amp chassis ground will have this same potential, the ground is now a floating ground and not chassis or earth ground.   

Woody

Barcrest

Floating ground, damn it's getting a bit over my head now.

Jukebox Stats...

fordman

Isnt a car 'technically' a floating ground?

Just asking!

Fordman