Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

My Work In Progress

Started by HolyDiver01, June 30, 2009, 05:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolyDiver01

I'm just kind of looking for a little input from you folks on my work in progress.

I'm biasing this off of cadis12 and Fordmans T.V./Printer stand jukebox. Now first off I think that this might be a little taller than theirs, which might make it a little easier to work with. I found this bad boy at The Salvation Army store for $35. Now I'm wondering do you think I'd be able to paint this??

For the monitor I found a NEC AccuSync LCD52V 15 " LCD Monitor Touch Screen 52V on eBay for $95 after shipping. Granted I have to de-case it. Has anyone had any experience with these monitors?

Currently it's connected to my HTPC and sitting on my left stereo speaker so far it has worked flawlessly. Also sorry I didn't have Freebox running for pic.

As for the computer I found a Dell OptiPlex GX260 with a Intel Pentium 4 2.0GHz processor on craigslist for $65. It only had 256mb Ram so I spent $20 to upgrade it to a gig off eBay.

I then went to Micro Center and spent about an hour listening to all of their P.C. speakers and took home the Altec Lansing VS4121 3-Piece Speaker System. After getting it home and listening to it and trying to tweak it I packed it back up and took it back. No matter what I tried it was always way too heavy on the bass and always seemed to be lacking when it came to vocals. I think my biggest problem has been that I've been running Freebox on my home stereo system. So I have very high expectations of the audio quality.

So back to eBay where I found a Sony STR-DE135 Stereo AM-FM Receiver for $47 after shipping. I'm waiting on this to arrive which is good because it allows me figure out my speaker situation. I'm leaning toward these Polk Audio Monitor 30. I got to listen to them at a local ABC Warehouse. They can't touch the price unfortunately so it looks like I'm going to have order them online. I'm still open to suggestions so please feel free to give me some recommendations. 

fordman

As for painting it, does the woodgrain & color match any of the other decor in the area you plan to use it?

I use the logitech X-240 speakers from Microcenter (or Officemax-Staples) usually $50.00 and I would say that those are the best 2.1 speakers on the market! Since your already at the Salvation army, sometimes you can find a decent set of speakers too.

I'm no help with that particular monitor!  ???

Those Optiplex's are nice and cheap all over Craigslist! They are usually out of an office enviroment so the hard drive was only use for the OS and not used for nothing else as they were networked. CD-RW never used and probably nicotine & smoke free!

Also, on a construction note, that cart looks like an old microwave stand, fill in the back completely with peg board for:
1) stability of the stand, those step by step pieces tend to get weak over the years of use!
2) so it can have air flow
3) Lets more sound out if you plan on using the area below the top for your speaker area!

:beer

Fordman

HolyDiver01

So first off thank you fordman for your recommendation about the Logitech X-240 speakers. I must say that the setup in the stores do not do them justice. Just wanted to share the finished product.

Drben

That looks sweet. good job! very neat and clean :)

fordman

I LIKE IT!  :beer

Fantastic job.

:beer

Fordman