Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

GENRE ICONS

Started by Barcrest, October 13, 2009, 08:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eist1

Coffee,

The issue with Genre's is that everybody has different ways of using their Genre's, like me, I use 70's Pop, 70's Rock. 80's Pop, 80's Rock, where some people may just put all 70's, 80's Pop under Pop, and 70's, 80's Rock under Rock. I would just let people get their own icons for each of their Genre's from the Flickr site, I got all of mine yesterday (you can see some of them on the screenshot above) I would just focus on doing the year buttons, as that will be used for everybody. I don't know what you think about the different background ideas for each set of years (1950-1959, 1960-1969, 1970-1979) but that might be an idea to go with. Let me know. If you want to come up with additional Genre buttons, that would be cool too, but may be more work as there are some pretty good ones on Flickr already.

Barcrest

I have a massive task ahead of me where i need to fix up 1000's of genres to try and get it down to around 30 genres. What my plan is so far is to leave the genre if it has a sensible one and only add genres to albums missing a genre. If a genre only has 1 album in it then i will rename the genre in that album to something sutible that has more albums in it but it's another massive task i am not sure i have time for.

Also something that struck me yesterday after i mocked up the genre screen were these 2 ideas....

Ideas:
1/ Have a different backdrop or even layout for GENRES, ARTISTS and YEARS.

2/ Have the option to set the filter screen to be the default screen when using the back buttons rather than the album screen.

Changes/Additions:
1/ Add a spin on this button to the genre screen which might be usefull if you have a lot of genres and could be used for an attract mode if you have the genre screen as the default screen.

These are just some thoughts i wanted to get out there.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

eist1

I just posted the links for the two Default skins that have been updated with the new Filter page with images on the 5.00.22 Beta Final Release page. I also have a link to a folder of all of the current Genre Images I have. Let me know how they look/work out

Cary_B

I tried the new skin and it seems to have a problem with overlapping images if you have more than can be shown on the screen at one time.  I have a screenshot if you want me to E-Mail it to you.

eist1

Yes if you could just post a pic that would be good. Are you talking about in the Genre section?

Cary_B

eist1

Cary,

I got your email with the image. I can't reproduce what you are seeing. I loaded it on my laptop too and it is working fine with both skins. Make sure you are running 5.0.22 Beta Final Release. And you may want to try a reinstall as it looks like a file has gotten corrupted, maybe try redownloading the new skins too. Let me know if it is still shoing up after that. Thanks

jukejohn

will they be a easy user way round for the likes of me
and to make lighter work i don't mind changing my genres
from say classic rock to rock or folk rock to folk to try and
match what ever is defaulted to or will you have to have
skinning skills

eist1

John,

You won't have to do anything other than generate your Genre's in the config while generating your Music database. When it's done open you Genres folder (in the E-Touch directory) and see what your .cvr files are named (ie. Rock.cvr, Folk.cvr) the .cvr's will be whatever your current Genre names are. Then all you need to do is find the image you like for each Genre, and name the .jpg the same name as the .cvr (ie. Rock.jpg, Folk.jpg) and put the .jpg files in the Genres folder with the .cvr's and the .jpg will show up in the Genre Filter with the image, so no skinning needed. I can't imagine there being a "Standard" Genre naming in E-Touch as everyone tags their Genre's a little different. All that is needed is renaming an image to the Genre (.cvr). Hope that helps.

jukejohn

great eist1 everything's not so scary anymore
that sounds cool :tommy

andowhy

Quote from: Barcrest on October 15, 2009, 04:24:00 PM
2/ Have the option to set the filter screen to be the default screen when using the back buttons rather than the album screen.

Barry,

This is exactly the question I was about to post, I was in a bar the other day that had a digital jukebox and it had this exact setup where the genre screen was teh default, and where you could then go into an artist search via another screen.

Would love to see this as an option.

ecbrad

Quote from: Barcrest on October 15, 2009, 04:24:00 PM

1/ Have a different backdrop or even layout for GENRES, ARTISTS and YEARS.

I love this idea!

Brad

fordman

Quote from: Cary_B on October 15, 2009, 06:38:13 PM
I tried the new skin and it seems to have a problem with overlapping images if you have more than can be shown on the screen at one time.  I have a screenshot if you want me to E-Mail it to you.

I believe I am having the same issue:

Any thoughts?

Fordman

eist1

Yes, I think I know what you are getting at, I have the same issue that I mentioned to Barry, what is happening is that if one of the frames doesn't have an image in it, it is still using the image from the previous page. That's not a skin issue, that's something to do with how E-Touch is currently working. Hopefully Barry will take a look at it. Let me know if that is what is happening. As long as the Genre has an image associated with it, it shows up fine. So on the last page, if you only have 2 Genres, those show up fine but the other boxes will be filled with the images from the previous page right? This looks to be an app issue, I will see if I can reproduce it on my side, but everything is working fine with mine. Looks like it may have something to do with the length of the name As both of you are having issues with long names like Now That's What I call... and it looks like it is only happening in the Arist sevtion, let me know because I have just been trying the Genre portion.

Note: I just installed this on my home jukebox (Completely deleted the E-Touch folder in Program Files) installed the latest E-Touch 5.00.22 Beta Final Released, re-generated my library and copied the updated default skins into the skins folder, copied my Genre images into the Genres folder and ran E-Touch. It is working fine for me (other than the covers copying to the next page if images aren't there, which Barry needs to look at) but I can't get the text to show up out of place. I have 37000 albums some with long names and they are showing up fine (Filtering by Genre or Artist). Can you try and delete the E-Touch folder and do a fresh install and see if that changes things? As This wouldn't be a skin issue anyway, but I'm sure Barry would like to know what may be causing this if is is an issue.

Barcrest

You will not have the issue with the images not being replaced with a blank if you have the imagenotfound.jpg in your genres folder. I thought i mentioned this in an earlier post?
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...