Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Need help with Zytronic Touch screen

Started by Pinball, November 22, 2009, 03:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinball

Has anyone here used a Zytronic Touch screen.  They are made in the UK. ELO does not have a Projective Capacitance(Through the Glass) model available in the USA any longer.

I have a door from an NSM Evolution with a Zytronic touchscreen installed. 

This was a kit that was produced for e-Cast to convert an NSM CD juke to a touch screen juke.  I have the door hooked up and I have e-cast running on my new XP system. I have a USB mouse and keyboard attached.

I cannot get the touchscreen to work. I have supplied 12 v to the connector and have attached a TrendNet USB to Serial Converter,
(TU-S9) to plug in the 9 hole serial cable from the touchscreen.

The adaptor package says    "Connect a RS -232 serial device such as a modem to a USB port" 

Easy installation w/ Plug and Play"

Supports XP

This says USB 1.1 compliant.  But it should be good for USB 2.0 ,   right???

Then the system said detecting new hardware, SERIAL MOUSE.

Initially the touch screen  kept having white boxes pop open all over the screen like when you right click the desk top.

I unplugged the USB to Serial adaptor and I can play the juke on the touchscreen monitor and use the mouse. I need to get this glitch resolved by Wed night hopefully.

There is some conflict  with this adaptor and the touch screen & mouse.

http://www.zytronic.co.uk/support/downloads

While I had my mouse plugged in I Installed the Trend Net UPDD    Universal Point Device Driver software. (ser to Usb  adptr)
It asked for a com port so I said com2.

I plugged in the TrendNet adaptor USB to my PC & Re-booted. I had White boxes jumping all over the screen.

I re-Installed the Trend Net UPDD    Universal Point Device Driver software. (ser to Usb  adptr) this time specifying Com1
And Re-booted.

Those  White boxes are not jumping all over the screen now. But the touch screen is still not working.

I spoke w/ an NSM tech last week who said to use the Serial driver from Zytronic (Zytouch).  I have tried both ways, serial and USB, but can't get this to work.

When I go into Universal Point Device Driver software (from TrendNet)

Under Status it says :  Controller Type   :  Zytronic  x-y  ,   State = Not Connected

Under Hardware it says   :

Connected to USB Port

ID= n/a, Port= n/a

Does that make sense or is that the issue??

(If this usb - serial adaptor is the big conflict, I could get one of those ribbon cables and try connecting it to the motherboard and hooking it up that way to a serial port). ???

Thanks,

Randy

jukejohn

i have messed with the zytronic over lay screens and they run on the serial cable so 5volt required
i had a terrible struggle with them and then found out you have to install software first and restart
and plug in after restart that solved it so uninstall the software and try again
might be worth a try

Pinball

JukeJohn:

It's funny that you should say that, because the field tech from e-cast as well as the tech from the e-Cast HQ both said that the wire coming off of the seriaol connector REQURED 12V   DC.

I am looking at the ZyTouch user manual and it says: " Controller Pwr requirements, 5V dc w/ + - 5% tolerance from an external regulated Power Supply"

Can the problem be that I am giving it 12 V instead of 5V??

I am using a video game power supply for the 12 volts to the Touch screen ,  I guess I can just use it to power that line from the 5v output instead.

I am us

jukejohn

yes just grab 5v from power supply
i ran around in circles with mine until i found out you install software first and then connect the cable and do a calibration with the software mine wasn't a complete screen just the zytouch overlay

Pinball

Been trying all night. The system does not see the touch screen as it should.  I"ve installed the drivers about 6 times tonight in every fashion, on-glass, off-glass, USB, Serial, etc...

On some of the installs it says to identify a com port and I selected different ports to try.

Afterwards, the device shows up on com port 7 one time, the last time I specified Com2 and it showed up on com 6.

I am using this TrendNet Usb to serial adaptor. 

I just got an old serial card from an old PC.   I can plug the ribbon cable into the com2 on the mother board and plug the serial cable from the Zytouch directly into that to see if it helps.

Question:

How do you know which way the plug goes on the mother board?  It looks like it can go either way, (there is no key on the connector). There is a red stripe on the one edge of the ribbon. My guess is that the stripe would go to the left towards where it says COM2.

Did the setup you had go directly to a serial port with a ribbon cable or did you have a USB adaptor like me ?

Do you know what the driver install catagories mean, ON-GLASS and OFF-GLASS?

My touch screen is behind the outer door glass. So you never touch the actual touch-screen. You touch the door glass in front of the touch screen only. 

Randy

Barcrest

Thoose com port extenders are not all compatible. If you look at the black plastic plug you will see an arrow on it or a triangle that goes to pin 1 which should labelled on the board.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

SlammerKenya

Hi all

I'm currently re-building a soundleasure device, and i'm having the same problem. Did anyone get a solution with this?

Mark Norville

Yes you have already ASKED that question TWICE now.

CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE FURTHER DETAILS???????????????????

What OPERATING SYSTEM are you trying to use?
What ZYTRONIC CONTROLLER have you got?

We need ANSWERS to this SIMPLE questions, before we can help.

You first posted the SAME QUESTION here http://www.freeboxjukebox.com/Forum/index.php?topic=6072.msg42486#msg42486

We have replied, but you have asked here now, this is not ping pong.
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

SlammerKenya

Hi All

Sorry I found a solution, i need to get the oldest installer for the UPDD setup for USB, the ones online were for somereason giving me only the serial ones.

In answer to your questions: Windows 7 ultimate
As far as the Zytronic controller it was the original 93-1 (no longer supported on mass)

Sorry about the double posting.

If anyone else is getting this issue I've got the original set up package now and could email it to them.

Regards Slammer

Mark Norville

Glad you got sorted. I think you will have some interest on that one, myself included. I have a zytronic controller and the software is hit and miss on if it works first time or not.

Regards

Mark
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

SlammerKenya

Click this link to download the setup file

http://www.datadisplay-group.com/fileadmin/treiber/Zytronic/Zytronic_Win7_Vista_XP_SP3__Driver_V4.1.10R.zip

works for most operating systems (upto and including 8 had to test it on my lap top before putting on the jukebox) but i  recommend win7 calibration for my wasn't the best.

Simple instructions:

1) Unplug all USB cables and other USB devices, (if you have a p2 mouse use it else wise unplug and navigate with the keyboard.
2) Download above link
3) Run set up program (make sure you select USB if you touch screen is USB or make sure you get the right serial port (V IMPORTANT)
4) Restart Computer (V important)
5) You will have a new Systray i con that looks like a finger dipping into a pool, if it has a red cross right click (you can plug your mouse in again) and click enable
6) Plug in you touch screen.
7) Run calabration... run it 3 or 4 times, just because it seems to learn better each time you run it (don't ask me why because it over rights the old pref files but the more you run it the better it gets
8) VIOLA your Zytronic XY is working.... P.s. i've not tried this with serial but i've been told you need to supply a 5v power to the touch screen and earth it, my electro skills fail there.

travishauch

Hello. I know this is a dated thread but Im hoping to get some help with my Zytronic XY touch screen from an NSM icon jukebox. I'm using UPDD on Windows 7 with serial over USB and can get it to recognize touch but it's the wrong orientation. When I move my finger left, the pointer goes up. When I move my finger up, the pointer goes right. It also only is moving the pointer in an area on the top right of the screen, like it's a smaller resolution. I tried recalibrating but it's not recognizing the presses because of the orientation issue I think. I tried adding a Rotate90 profile in UPDD which only made things worse. I tried portrait mode in Windows but that also rotated the touch screen. I cannot figure out what's going on.

If anyone could help it would be very much appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

jukejohn

using your mouse in settings make shure its set to display one might be worth resetting driver also in the settings

travishauch

Quote from: jukejohn on December 21, 2018, 11:39:12 AM
using your mouse in settings make shure its set to display one might be worth resetting driver also in the settings

I tried that as well with no luck. Any other ideas?

jukejohn

not really sounds like it may be faulty I have had a few zytronic screens screw up nothing you can do

it might be the controller pcb they do go faulty

only way to find out it take the monitor out and install it on a pc