Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Built my new e-Touch Jukebox wallbox for my home

Started by Pinball, February 01, 2010, 04:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinball

I wanted to share some pictures of the new e-Touch juke I built for my home.

The cabinet came from an NSM Digital Thunder CD box.

The door came from a e-Cast conversion kit I had.

Here is the box hanging in my rec room.

The next picture shows the NSM box before the components were added.

I had to cut out a hole for the upper exhaust fan.

I had to drill holes in the metal cabinet top to allow hot air to flow into the upper dome.

Then the air can vent out the vent out the top rear of the crown.

The lower section of the cabinet was gutted and I installed an intake fan to suck fresh air into the bottom of the unit.  This fan has green LEDs in it and it glows out the bottom of the unit in the dark at night.... Cool!

I removed the Original 3 Button switches under the NSM CD JUke and this is where I installed a set of RCA jacks (from Radio Shack) that I can connect 4 speakers and a sub-woofer.  (The sub-woofer is on order). 

I had to cut a square out of the back mounting panel to allow air from the rear exhaust fan to have a free exit from the back of the unit. This cut-out allows space between the rear
Of the juke and the wall.   A large round hole was cut in the rear of the cabinet right behind the exhaust fan. (This picture is before the round hole was cut in the metal). 

Here is the full view of the back of the cabinet with mount attched. This wooden panel is screwed to the wall, (the metal mounting bracket is between the other side of the wood panel and the back of the juke box).

The jukebox components include e-Touch software. The initial build of this unit was done using a Samson Servo 4060 Power amp. This is amp is being replaced with a Crown amp in the near future.  This was an amp we had on hand so it was installed to get the unit up and running.

The speakers right now are Bose 301 Series V direct reflecting loudspeakers. These will be upgraded when I get the new amp.

The current amp and speakers are great for the house right now, but we are looking to pump sound outside for our parties.

The box is loaded with over 900 CD's and a bunch of Music Videos.

The computer is a new Zotac system:

ZOTAC nForce 630i-ITX WiFi

Packing support for Intel® dual -core Socket LGA775 processor, the ZOTAC® nForce 630i-ITX WiFi is ready for all your processing demands. Paired with an NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7100 graphics core with support for DirectX 9 with Shader Model 4.0 support, the ZOTAC® nForce 630i-ITX WiFi is ready to meet your graphical demands as well.

Integrated 802.11b/g wireless enables the ZOTAC® nForce 630i-ITX WiFi to connect to wireless networks without installing additional and sometimes bulky wireless devices. The ZOTAC® nForce 630i-ITX WiFi also packs one PCI Express x1, two SATA 3.0 Gbps ports, one ATA133 port and 4GB of DDR2 memory for plenty of expansion room.

This it the PC in the tiny CHENBRO  ITX case sitting in front of the AMP.
The Chenbro case comes with a stand that allows it to be mounted on it's side.

The rack-mount type amp is mounted on standoffs I built up off the base to allow Airflow to come from the outside through the lower compartment intake fan, up through holes I cut and drilled in the main compartment floor tray, then pass through the amp itself.  The heat that exits the back and top of the amp then is sucked up to the to of the cabinet where it exits through vent holes or is expelled via the rear wall exhaust fan.   

A Power strip mounted on the interior wall is the power distribution center for all the components.

The cabinet has a lock on the side and the front door swings open for service.

Here is a shot of the front top of the crown on the unit.

Thanks to Barry for the greatest Jukebox software around!
(Now if I can only get him to add that "Play the entire album Next"  feature I've been waiting for....).

Also tons of thanks to Fordman and everyone else out here that have been so helpful in the process of implementing all the software and hardware component pieces I've been dealing with!

Everyday is a Party here now!  :beer

fordman

Pinball,

That is one fine looking jukebox! Fantastic!

Glad I could help along the way!

:beer :beer :beer

Fordman

Rob_Hendley

"(Now if I can only get him to add that "Play the entire album Next"  feature I've been waiting for....)"

Lol - see my post detailing a small feature request... Lazy bugger!

eist1

Pinball,

Great job on the jukebox!!  :beer If you know of any place to get another one of those e-cast conversion cabinets let me know... Since we're pretty much in the same neighborhood I could even pick it up :) Again great job, that's a jukebox my wife might actually allow me to put in the living room :).

Barcrest

Those cabs are fairly common in the UK. I really should put pics of mine up it's simular to that one but dual screen.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

jukejohn

i also do nsm conversions and this is a nice job

i have just converted a firebird thinking of sending pic to barry cant get the hang of these pic hosting
i have kept the original glass and used a touch through and a small screen were the cd mech was with graphics running :beer

hdakrucke

Pinball

JukeJohn - This conversion was done from an NSM Thunder CD wallbox.

I still have the door from that and am currently working on a replacement glass for it. Where are you located, in the UK?  The reason I ask is that we cannot get ELO monitors here in the USA with the Touch Through technology any longer. That is what is needed to utilize the existing NSM doors & glass.

John - What size touch through monitor did you use for the e-Touch software screen? How did it fit in the existing NSM window??

The e-Cast NSM conversions were built w/ a solid piece of glass in the front that had the artwork screened on it from behind. They used a Touch Through technology monitor.

I am building another door (out of the original NSM door),that will be made of tempered glass. It will have a hole cut in the front so you can reach through and touch the 17" ELO touch screen that will get mounted behind it. Since the top marquis of the original Thunder door has original artwork there, I am meeting with a digital arts guy tomorrow to get him to copy the original style Thunder art design onto the new tempered glass. The problem is that the original glass has Blue and mirrorred stripes. The glass guy says you can't temper mirrored glass, so the graphics guy needs to create a mirrored graphic to be applied from the rear side.  We will see how that will come out.

This is going to be pricey as the tempered door glass will cost $ 110- alone and I will find out hopefully tomorrow the cost on all the artwork.  (If this is out of line I was thinking of just doing all original artwork, that way I don't need tomatch the marquis and I can use plexi glass as oppossed to Tempured glass).  

Eist1- It is not an e-cast conversion cabinet, but just the conversion door. E-Cast sold amusement operators kits to east the conversion from NSM CD cabinets, (which this is), to e-Cast Touch screen systems.

The kits were about $ 2 K or so unless you got them on one of their  Specials, (which they often ran).  The kit had the replacement door, (which you see here), that came with the monitor and florescents.  There was also the CORE, which was the computer that ran their software. It had a hard drive loaded with a couple hundred CDs. These were protected so you needed to run their application to use thos files. (Too bad nobody ever created a "hack " for that or Touchtunes.

Anyhow, I had a new e-cast kit door left from my commercial "operator" days.  I did not have the Core , nor do I have the hard drive with the music. Thats why I bought the Zotac system.

I have checked all around and nobody in or area (Paradise) is running e-Cast.  Everyone is touchtunes here.  There are adds on e-bay all the time for e-cast and touchtunes boxes, but they are currently working systems that are tied to the e-cast or touchtunes networks.  You need a DEAD e-cast or Touchtunes box. That way you are only paying for the cabinet and door glass. (Again, be carefull as you can't get monitors w/ Touch Through the glass thechnology here any longer).

Or look for a DEAD NSM CD box. When I get this NSM Thunder door I am converting working, I will post and let folks know what it takes to do. There could be some economy on reproducing these artwork wise.

Randy      

Barcrest

I think the touch through tech is called projective touchscreen. Real nice screens but a lot more expensive than i am prepared to pay for.

Jukebox Stats...

eist1

Barcrest

Might be to do with FCC compliance. Not sure how the projective part works but if it's radio waves then that might be it.

Jukebox Stats...

jukejohn

they are expensive but i got this 15'overlay from ebay a couple of
years ago very cheap about £15 yes i was very looky but what a pain to set up also i just took a gamble
and paid £46 for 16 faulty 17' elo touch screens will hopefully get them in the week

i will get around to sending a pic

leeclark2612

Your box looks amazing! I could only dream of pulling off something that good...

There are a few manufacturers that use different ways of fitting the screen...

The through touch ones used by Sound Leisure use a pro-capacative overlay that reflects on the glass, and apparently its the overlay that costs the most - the LCD part is cheap to make...

For the ELO type screens the best way to mount is to have a board behind the glass with a cutout the depth of the screens plastic surround, this brings it pretty close to the front glass - you hardly notice the 'step' between the glass and the screen... That's the way my 15'' ELO screen is going to be mounted up to now...

There is one other manufacturer called 'pentranics' that make 19'' and 21'' touch screen LCD's that 'Bell Fruit' use in all their machines these days...it's also mounted like the ELO screen and is only USB based...it's in a ready to mount case too!

Barcrest

Lee you should try and get yourself a sound leisure sound surfer or even better a video surfer with dual screens. It's just a case or replacing the PC inside and you are good to go, i think you need an ipac for the coin mech I have not looked at how it is hooked up normally but there is definately a keyboard input.

Jukebox Stats...