Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

flac files

Started by jukejohn, June 19, 2010, 04:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jukejohn

anybody using etouch with flac file just want to know if it is ok with them and mainly
is it worth it

fordman

if Windows Media Player will play it (stand-alone), then it should be good to go with E-Touch.

I do believe WMP plays flac files.

Fordman

jukejohn

yes it does i just wonderd if the tags read ok and as i said is it worth the difference from 320kbs to flac i understand that flac is near as a cd but i use 256 to 320kbs with a sound blaster sound card which make it a very sharp sound would i gain a lot more using flac

Barcrest

Flac files tend to be bigger, maybe you could rip a CD and test. Personally i don't notice any differenece on my set up but you might.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

jukejohn

the way i set my mp3s is 224 to 320 kbs  i dont have any at 128
i try to get as much hi fidelity sound as i can possibly get so thats
why i use a external sound card as the standard on board audio is
pants
however if i crossed over to flac would it be worth all the conversion
work and can i still use my reg utills like mp3 gain i see taging is ok
just want best quality possible but dont want to find ive dropped a clanger

Barcrest

You would have to re-rip the tracks because converting the mp3 would probably loose quality if anything. Like i said try it with one album and see if it sounds better to you.

Jukebox Stats...

jukejohn

will do have you tried mp3 gain with flac

Barcrest

Quote from: jukejohn on June 20, 2010, 01:34:38 PM
will do have you tried mp3 gain with flac

I don't use flac i am happy with mp3 to be honest. You should try flac to see if you find it better quality.

Jukebox Stats...

jukejohn

heres what im wondering when you burn a cd from mp3 files the file is converted to a larger file [wave] and
this is noticeable when its played in a cd player much better then the mp3 file lots of fidelity sound
so if you convert a mp3 file to flac you should hear a similar difference me thinks

and yes i understand that the source file has to be good and you cant beat the source being the original cd
but like most i no longer have the cd but a very good rip of 256kbs or am i talking pants  ???

Cary_B

I doubt it.  MP3 compresses the files and looses quality.  FLAC doesn't.  I can't see how going from a lossy format to a lossless will work.  The information has already been lost.  You cant get it back.  The only way it would sound better is if the program used to play the files played one format better than the other, I would think.

Barcrest

Quote from: jukejohn on June 23, 2010, 04:01:06 PM
heres what im wondering when you burn a cd from mp3 files the file is converted to a larger file [wave] and
this is noticeable when its played in a cd player much better then the mp3 file lots of fidelity sound
so if you convert a mp3 file to flac you should hear a similar difference me think

When you burn a CD from an MP3 it doesn't sound any better. It is impossible because the extra information has been lost due to the compression, it cannot ever be retrieved. If you are thinking of converting the MP3's to flac they will sound the same and some of them might end up actually sounding worse. The only way you can see a gain is by ripping the original CD.

Jukebox Stats...

hdakrucke

Hello Everyone, I was just wondering the verdict on being able to play flac files? I have a few (20 or so) flac format albums that I have not been able to play. Is it just a setting issue? Thanks for any feed back.

Barcrest

If they play in media player then they should play in the jukebox, do they play in media player? If they do then try them with the latest V6 demo to see if they work with that.

Jukebox Stats...

James77

I have some flac files that play, but first you need to install support for windows media player to play them (at least I had to). 
Try

http://www.codeemporium.com/2009/11/26/convincing-flac-files-to-play-in-windows-media-player-12/

I have them setup without tags, and using the filename option to read them in E-Touch.  I also do this with .wav files (I use mostly .wav files, maybe someday I will convert to flac, but I really do not see the need now).