Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Touchscreen Help?

Started by 2wheelDuke, July 10, 2010, 04:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2wheelDuke

This question doesn't apply to Freebox/E-Touch really, but the hardware that I'm trying to use it on.

I picked up a used touchscreen on eBay and rebuilt an old Dell desktop that wasn't in use anymore.  It worked great that way for a few months.  I had to hunt online to track down the 3m Microtouch driver for the touch screen that Compaq used in the display, but that wasn't a very big hurdle.

Since then, it looks like the motherboard died on the Dell, I can't even get it to POST.

I picked up an Asus nettop to replace it (AR-1600), but have not been able to get the touchscreen working.  I picked up a usb to db9 adapter, installed the drivers, and everything was looking good, but the touchscreen doesn't work.

Device Mangler says that the device is working properly, but when I go to the resources tab, it shows that it's attempting to use I/O range FFFF-FFFF, which is already in use by the PCI bus.  I've tried changing the I/O range used by the touchscreen, but every possible option I've tried so far is in use by the PCI bus or something else.  The option to change the PCI bus's range is greyed out. 

I also tried installing the touchscreen on the old hand-me-down box I'm running in my MAME cabinet.  I figured maybe an old box with a native serial port would be more compatible, but I've had the same issue on that machine.

I'm using XP SP3 as the OS on both that I've tried.  I used to think my Google-fu was strong, but so far it has failed me in this case.

Has anyone run into this before?

fordman

Try this driver for the Serial to USB adapter to work:

http://www.ppcomponents.com/jukebox/HL-340.zip

This is the best driver I could find for any of my serial to USB's to work. I have one juke that has been working for over a year now with this driver with no issues.

Also, makesure the 3M Micotouch drivers are booting on startup. If not, throw a shortcut to the touch driver program in the startup folder to launch upon startup.

Fordman

2wheelDuke

I have to work all night, but I'll look into that after I get some sleep.

I'll also put up some screenshots of what I'm seeing in the device manager. 

2wheelDuke

I still had no luck. 

I got the bright idea to try working the old Dell over some more, and after some troubleshooting and re-seating components, I got it to POST and boot up.  With no config changes at all, the touchscreen just refuses to work, so I'm thinking that maybe the touchscreen controller gave up the ghost.  It works fine as a monitor, and the software says it sees it, but I get no inputs. 

I wound up returning the nettop before the window was up and just ate the 15% restocking fee.

I'll be looking for a touchsreen all-in-one computer to be the jukebox. 

I guess it'll be time to eBay the old touchscreen LCD or something.  Maybe somebody else is better than I am and can get it going. 

Barcrest

The USB adapter is probably your issue, try it on a PC with a serial port and you'll probably find it works fine.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

2wheelDuke

Actually I tried it on a computer with a built in serial port and had the same issue I did with the USB adapter.  I've given up on that monitor for now, and like I said, I may just try to sell it, maybe somebody else can make it work. 

ecbrad

If you manually change the resources it's using via the BIOS it should work no problem.

brad