Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Encryption Recrest

Started by Norman Marshall, September 15, 2010, 09:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norman Marshall

Hi Barry,
            Im hoping to be setting up an new business soon building and selling jukeboxes for the home, the only thing is the hierarchy of the music industry wont let me sell any music on in the jukes unless the music is encrypted, (to stop them being copied) is there any chance you could make etouch read the encrypted music files, i remember reading in a post a few weeks ago that you wouldnt really do this if there wasnt enough interest in it and i know there is only 2 of us interested in doing it, but for every juke i sell would be $25 in your back arse pocket mate, so will you please consider putting encryption support in etouch.
Dear God, Please bring back Bob Marley, In return you can have Justin Bieber. Amen

eist1

Looks like coffee might alreday be doing something similar using Trucrypt. Here's what he posted a few days ago

"Oh, I got the encryption sorted out. Truecrypt works great. Thanks for that one Dude. I ow you ...... again."

Might want to ask him what he's doing.

Barcrest

Also if you are selling jukeboxes you might find that legally you can't sell them with music on even if it is encrypted. I know things like a PRS licence cover pubs for playing recorded music and royalties are obtained that way but selling a juke loaded with music there ar eno royalties made so you might want to look into that. This is part of the reason the sooloos system is so expensive as all the music has to be paid for although i think you could probably buy all that music and build an equivelent player for far less than what they want.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

Norman Marshall

Thanks for that barry i will most certainly look into that, maybe prs will do a licence for domesic use as well as commercial

eist1,
       is trucrypt working ok with etouch?
Dear God, Please bring back Bob Marley, In return you can have Justin Bieber. Amen

Barcrest

Truecrypt does work to limit the drive to use on the pc that has the key, prs licence is only for public venues. There is no easy way for you to sell music and if you are in the U.S. you can pretty much forget about doing it legally at all.

Jukebox Stats...

Norman Marshall

In the uk barry, i see im gonna need to think bout this one (legally i mean)

coffee

Yes, truecrupt does work very well. The manuals is just a bit exhausting the read throught.

Barcrest

Quote from: GlennCarnell on September 16, 2010, 06:46:02 PM
In the uk barry, i see im gonna need to think bout this one (legally i mean)

For home use then you are really limited to free music from unsigned bands or the few tracks that are in the public domain.

Jukebox Stats...