Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Hidden .AppleDouble folders

Started by muzzakuzza, June 07, 2011, 06:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muzzakuzza

Im using a nas server for my music collection. When creating or updating database, Freebox also scans the hidden .AppleDouble folders which is a pain to always manually remove. Is there a way to stop Freebox scanning the hidden folders?

Mounting the NAS as smb or nfs (which would eliminate the creation of these resource forks) is not an option.

Barcrest

Don't even know what those folders are for? When using e-touch you could have the drive mapped where it doesn't have permission to access those bu tthat might throw up an error.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

muzzakuzza

Hi Barcrest,

Unfortunately when converting over to Apple osx, these folders and files are a part of the package. Apple uses these files as resource forks for the AFP. They are hidden on an apple platform but pop up everywhere on a PC sharing a drive with a mac. Because the mac does not have a decent tagging software like Tag&Rename, i am stuck with iTunes as a mp3 tag manager.

To cut a long story short, it would be nice if you could attach a small code into your Freebox Config Utilitiy to NOT look in any folders that are named ".AppleDouble"

Should you require a payment for this service rendered possible, it will most certainly be arranged.

After all, Time is money ;)

Barcrest

Quote from: muzzakuzza on June 10, 2011, 12:51:00 PM
To cut a long story short, it would be nice if you could attach a small code into your Freebox Config Utilitiy to NOT look in any folders that are named ".AppleDouble"

Should you require a payment for this service rendered possible, it will most certainly be arranged.

After all, Time is money ;)

Time is indeed money and so far this month I have made $65 so you have my interest sir. I will make a new beta release with this included for you tomorrow.  :beer

Jukebox Stats...

muzzakuzza

eist1

Wouldn't it just be easier to do a Search of the external drive letter (like D:) for .AppleDouble and when it finds all of the files/folders, just do a Select All and Delete? I'm not sure adding something like this to the Config would add much for many users.

muzzakuzza

This wasn't a request so that other users can benefit from, it was a personal request which i'm quite happy to pay for.

I don't think you will see or notice any change in the config.

No! it wouldn't be easier to do a search. As i mentioned previously i manage my collection on a network server from a mac, so you cannot simply seach for the .appledouble folders because you cannot see them. Even if you enable Show hidden files and folders on the mac, you wont be able to search for these folders nor delete them.

eist1

No problem, didn't realize you couldn't do it, I get rid of the folder.jpg and album.jpg's by doing the search and then delete, so thought you'd be able to do it. With E-Touch only running on PC's I thought it was a PC you were running it on, but I'm sure Barry wouldn't mind the $$$  ;D

muzzakuzza

You are right, the software is running on a PC but, it is enclose and no keyboard. Customised XP (hidden boot screens, Shell boot, etc). You turn it on and Freebox Jukebox is running. It makes sense to Manage externally

I could create an automated bat file on the PC that would do the job before it updates the database, but it would first need to change the permissions of these folders, then delete. This all adds to lengthen boot times when using a very large music collection.

Barcrest

Try this, it should do what you want.

Jukebox Stats...

muzzakuzza

You are a bloody legend.  This saves me a lot of heartache.

Please check your donations :))))

Thank you very much. Much appreciated.