Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Philco 40-180 Conversion

Started by Sparky23, March 27, 2012, 12:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparky23

I grabbed this at the end on someone's driveway before garbage day and decided to make a jukebox out of it. I tried to make it look like it was originally made this way. The top is made out of solid cherry and the rest of it I sanded down to bare wood and just restained it and 3 coats of semi-gloss. I have lots of pics of the build progress so if anyone wants to see something specific let me know I probably have the pics of it.

Specs:

15" ELO Touchscreen
Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Pentium 4
Turtle Beach Montego Soundcard
Custom Sound Activated LED Bar

Meph

Amazing job.  I really like the way your monitor fits in the cabinet.  I used a Philco 38-116 for my cabinet and the top layout was different.  What did you use to cut the hole for the monitor?  I really like the rear mount with no need to frame it in.

coffee

I just can't see these images and it's frustrating !!!
I'm logged into imageshack and I still can't see them.      ???

Barcrest

Looks nice, i always like these old radio conversions.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

jukejohn

thats nice well done great job  :beer

Sparky23

Meph I mocked up everything out of scrap before cutting the real wood because cherry isn't the cheapest stuff to buy. We used a jigsaw to cut a square and then routered the edges to fit right along the raised edge on the monitor frame. I will post a few more pics for you so you can see.

Meph

Nice, do you have a picture of what the face of that radio looked like before you put in the monitor?  I'm looking for some other style cabinets for a future project.  My source doesn't have another of the one that I used.

Sparky23

This what mine looked like exactly just not in as good of shape. I went with a lot more red color stain than the original brown. Pictures were taken on my phone so they aren't the greatest.

Meph

Ok I see what you did.  You cut the entire top piece off and replaced it as well as the angled piece.  You went with a deeper angle.  I like it.

Sparky23

Thanks.   :beer

Actually the top piece is just screwed down in a bunch of places (or atleast mine was) so I just unscrewed everything and with a little nudge here and there it came off completely. I'll post a pic with the complete top parts off for you.

Norman Marshall

I cant beleive you walked past a garden and found that waiting to be collected by the garbage truck, What a brilliant find dude and a brilliant job converting it  :beer
Dear God, Please bring back Bob Marley, In return you can have Justin Bieber. Amen

dermbrian

Nicest conversion I've ever seen.  Only thing I'd add would be some kind of period-appropriate surface protection for those flat areas at the top, because I'd surely be resting my cocktails there while choosing songs. 

I absolutely love to see vintage radios given a new life where they continue to be used for music and media.

Brian

Sparky23

dermbrian there is 4 coats of semi gloss all around but drinks is a no-no around the jukebox now.   ;)