Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Reinventing the wheel...right now mine is square in a world of circles

Started by broach, November 27, 2007, 10:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broach

Happy Holidays to all.   My thanks to Barry and other helpful individuals in a previous post that has my version 2 system functioning properly.  My system is working but has not been permanently installed.

I wanted to ask the collective wisdom for any input or suggestions from you folks who have expanded these systems to seemingly endless possibilities from an "end use" perspective. 

I realize and appreciate the functions of freebox as a jukebox as distinct from a media player.  In fact, Freebox attracted me initially because  I initially wanted a way to organize and play an extensive CD collection with a touchscreen device displaying the album covers, etc.  However, I wish to expand the use of my touchscreen well beyond those functions.  When I have looked at other poster's systems, I have found more of any emphasis on dedicated nack daddy jukeboxes.  However, my goal is use Freebox and its functions with other programs and smarthome functions. 

Specifically, I intend to install the touchscreen in a common area adjacent to the kitchen and media room and have the touchscreen serve multiple ends.   For example, in addition to the jukebox, I would like to be able to access email and a browser (for example to look up receipes online or to bug my wife for the latest find on ebay).  I would like to display archived photographs in the same manner as the electronic picture frames I paid a fortune for several Christmas's  ago.  While I use a remotely located receiver that serves double duty with home theater functions, I would like to control an FM tuner from the touchscreen in one tool.  Finally, I would like to access video feeds from two security camaras and cable television.  I have nearly all these functions peacefully but not harmoniously working together on my desktop sans the capture card for the security camaras which need composit video inputs or the FM tuner.  My desktop system has a Hauppage card, etc. so I can make this hogpog work with my present desktop system with lots of points and clicks between programs over a network with some really really really long cords for touchscreen control and video display.

Not to be redundant, I realize that Freebox is a component of such a system with no objective of doing more than one thing -- serving as a jukebox of my audio files.   It does not intend and will not change the temperature of my house, place my calls, get me the paper, etc.     However, I speculate that some of you are experimenting with smarthome features that employ some or all of these kinds of features in conjunction with Freebox?  Or for that matter, any suggestions or functions that I have perhaps not considered?  While brainstorming is nice and welcome, my hope and ambition is that someone has already done at least some of these things with some measure of success and can give me a list of hardware and software to investigate.

One last thing,  I have (more precisely, I will) locate my touchscreen on a wall adjacent to a media room so that in three or four years I have to go through this exercise with all my DVD movies I WILL BE READY and ahead of the curve with my very own video on demand system.  (Barry -- I hope that this will be on your agenda in a new future program when 1000 DVD movies can be efficiently stored on a harddrive).  I try to do this with a fancy shmancy multidevice remote and a Sony DVD carousel -- and I've not yet even started digitally recording broadcast programming to my computer.  One day I know all of this will be integrated.

In sum and substance, I would appreciate hearing what experience anyone has had integrating Freebox together with any other programs for this kind of functionality.  Any thoughts?

Barcrest

All i can say is... DVD's, rip em and store em on a 1TB drive.. If they are DIVX they come in aroun 700-800mb at decent watchable quality. Freebox supports this now view the video tab with some more improvements to the experience coming in the future such as expanded player controls.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

eist1

I think as of right now what you are asking for is beyond the scope of Freebox. For the features you are looking for you may want to look at the Linux based (free) program linuxmce www.linuxmce.com. It currently can play DVD's, Audio, DVR, control your security system, lighting, and is able to be used in multiple rooms via a touchscreen interface, and can be booted via netboot so an operating system does not even have to be on the PC.

broach

Barry and Eist1 -- Thank you both for very useful information.  I had not contemplted that Freebox had integrated or would be integrating such functions.  Eist1 -- I visited the link and have to admit I'm impressed with the Linux program you directed me to and its features.  However, it appears that there have been LOTS of issue with stability until a very recent version which apparently is still being vetted.  Have you any experience with this program?