Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

setup.exe not using 7z compression?

Started by spacefractal, March 01, 2007, 11:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spacefractal

I wich if you can use 7z as compression for your setup.exe installation (but still zip that exe down)? I also said about that on the arcadecontrols.com. 7Z is much more effectiv than zip, why I only use that for my software.

This (should) can spare about 50% of the download (setup.exe should been about 3mb, since I can compress freebox folder to that size). It may not sound very much, but if many download that, this can also spare some GB of traffic.

Barcrest

Yes but not everyone knows about 7zip it is easier to use winzip to prevent confusion.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

spacefractal

If you used that as apart of your installation, it would been totally invisable for the user. It simply because it used that as a compression for your files inside setup.exe.

This is why I really like INNO SETUP as my installation program:
It easy, very very good help document, have wizard for most comon installs app, and it create a exe for you. It of course even create a uninstall exe.

You could even upload exe to the server, since you dosent want to zip it down, since it allready compressed. It maybe only for easy download, you do that.

You should give that app as a try.