Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Music sounds garbly/echoey/muffled.....why?? <SOLVED, codec pack>

Started by fat-johnny, December 19, 2007, 04:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fat-johnny

Oh no.....I just downloaded the latest version of the release (3.0.25) and the latest version of the Black/Blue skin (4.4).  All this time, I had been messing around with Freebox on my laptop for general internet surfing and whatnot, with a limited library of music (maybe 1,000 songs)

I just installed the latest versions on my real jukebox.  Loaded up ALL my music, and got ready to put Freebox through its paces.  The very first song I tried sounded funny, like echoey and muffled at points.  Played a second song which I play a LOT, and know exactly what it sounds like.....same thing, kinda garbly/muffled/echoey.  Shut down Freebox, loaded up PCJB, and songs sound fine.  Played the song right outta Windows Media Player, sounds fine.  Launch Freebox again, try to play, same story.... kinda garbly/muffled/echoey.

Any ideas??

<update>  Just browsed through the forums, seems people were having problems with mp3 files that were encoded at Variable Bit Rate (VBR).  I think this may be my problem.  Found a recommendation for a software called "Audio Conversion Wizard".  Tried that on one album, still sounds the same.

Any ideas??
Thanks,
Fat-johnny

Ps.....I can send a song if anyone would like.  Try it on YOUR computer.

draginit

are those other programs you mention also running thru your real jukebox when they sound fine? it almost sounds like maybe a loose connection/cable or something more than any else..
Just when you thought it not possible....TwelveNinedy

fat-johnny

Yep, all on the same machine.

Fire up the jukebox PC
Launch Freebox.  Play the file "03 - Lyin' Eyes.mp3".  Sounds funny.  Close Freebox.
Launch PCJB.  Play the file "03 - Lyin' Eyes.mp3".  Sounds fine.  Close PCJB.
Launch WMP.  Play the file "03 - Lyin' Eyes.mp3".  Sounds fine.  Close WMP.
Launch Freebox.  Play the file "03 - Lyin' Eyes.mp3".  Sounds funny.  Close Freebox.

Use that software "Audio Conversion Wizard" to convert it to a Constant Bit Rate MP3 file.
Rebuild the libraries in PCJB and Freebox.

Repeat:
Launch PCJB.  Play the file "03 - Lyin' Eyes.mp3".  Sounds fine.  Close PCJB.
Launch WMP.  Play the file "03 - Lyin' Eyes.mp3".  Sounds fine.  Close WMP.

I'd like to refine my description.  It's not so much muffled/garbled.  Its like someone is scratching a record, or a dirty cassette tape......theres just "noise" in the background that floows the beat of the music.......but only with Freebox.

HELP!!!
fj

squirrellydw

how about trying an old version if you still have one?  Install it into a different directory.
Graphic creator of the original BnB, BnR, BnO and BnG Skin
Coffee is the man now

kremmit

I play VBR files all the time, haven't had an issue yet.  ???

Barcrest

Sounds like the issue is something is changed in FFDSHOW. Basically a codec issue... WMP and TPCJ use the normal codecs. Freebox uses DIRECTSHOW filters, FFDSHOW i think it's called has a tone of settings and my betting is those are changed. If you install the latest K-Lite codec pack on your jukebox and try that then you should find it's resolved. If not PM me...
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

fat-johnny

OK, some more updates.  Late last night, I had a revelation.  I had originally messed with Freebox on my laptop, and didn't notice any abnormal noises......but that is only using crappy laptop speakers.

So I surmised the situation, and came to the following revelation:  my "jukebox" PC works on a RCA Lyra (http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-audio-receivers-dars/rca-rd900w/4505-6470_7-20904842.html) for it's soundcard.  Basically, it's an external USB soundcard that sends the music wirelessly to my amplifier.  With that said, maybe I am having a issue with either the stereo, the USB soundcard, Freebox, or my PC.

So I took the laptop down the basement to the bar where the jukebox PC resides.  Made sure I was using 3.0.25 Freebox and 4.4 BB skin on both.  Copied the same mp3 file to both, and started them playing.

The jukebox PC is playing through the stereo speakers.  It sounds funky.
Unplugged USB cord (soundcard) from juke, plugged USB soundcard into laptop
Sound coming through stereo speakers in now crystal clear.
Unplugged USB cord (soundcard) from laptop, plugged USB into back into jukebox PC
Sound coming through stereo speakers in now scratchy and funky.

So....in conclusion, I give Freebox, the BB skin, my USB soundcard, patch cables, amplifier, and speakers all a clean bill of health.  Something is wrong with my PC setup, some kinda codec issue (like Barcrest says in his post above this) or driver issue or .dll issue or something.

Gonna try that codec pack Barry suggests.  If not, it's a format of the HD and fresh install of XP for me!

I'll keep you guys updated, and thanks for your help so far with this.
FJ

Barcrest

No worries dude, i hope you get it fixed with just the k-lite codec pack...

Jukebox Stats...

kizer

Its what I had to do a while back on my Windows2000 machine. Sounded like a robotic echo or something. I nearly gave up on Freebox may and I mean many versions ago and when I installed that codec pack. Blam sounded great.
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

fat-johnny

Codec pack indeed.  Installed the K-Lite codec pack, and now the music sounds great.  VBR or CBR, 128, 160, or 320......it all plays well and sounds good.

I think I remember the same, Kizer.  I know I tried Freebox before (for like a day), and had some sorta robotic echo or something as well.  That, along with the skin that wasn't so visually appealing, I threw Freebox into the Recycle Bin very quickly......

But now with the new B/B skin, and now that I got this codec issue resolved, Freebox looks like the chosen one!!

Thanks for your help on that one.
FJ

Barcrest

Yes i really do need to improve the included skin somehow...  :-\

Jukebox Stats...

squirrellydw

Graphic creator of the original BnB, BnR, BnO and BnG Skin
Coffee is the man now

kizer

Quote from: fat-johnny on December 20, 2007, 07:11:53 PM
Codec pack indeed.  Installed the K-Lite codec pack, and now the music sounds great.  VBR or CBR, 128, 160, or 320......it all plays well and sounds good.

I think I remember the same, Kizer.  I know I tried Freebox before (for like a day), and had some sorta robotic echo or something as well.  That, along with the skin that wasn't so visually appealing, I threw Freebox into the Recycle Bin very quickly......

But now with the new B/B skin, and now that I got this codec issue resolved, Freebox looks like the chosen one!!

Thanks for your help on that one.
FJ

Well I was a little more patient with Freebox. I posted up in the forum like you did and Barcrest said try this and that and of course I thought there is no way my system is messed up. Sure enough its one of 20 or so times hes corrected me in my ways. Damn UK'ers.  ;D
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)