Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Hangs on first start up

Started by toastyhamster, January 26, 2016, 10:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toastyhamster

It's a Zytouch driver, it doesn't work with Windows 7, tried it many times and even got in touch with the vendor who said it wouldn't work - even in compatibility mode.  The jukebox chassis is a Sound Storm, just changing the software (with a full OS reinstall) so I can add more tracks which the locked original software wouldn't allow.

There's one on ebay I think at the moment, quite a nice chassis and a big (high compression) library but they have a limited lifespan as eventually I'll be cannabilising old PCs to find hardware that still runs XP, or shoe horning an expensive new touchscreen into it.  Did have a NSM Firebird but the 100CD restriction eventually pushed me into digital.

Mark Norville

I have a zytouch driver for windows 7 if you private message me with your email address I can send them to you. It works but as I say I have to reboot mine sometimes at least twice but it does work.

You need to install the software without having the monitor installed, then install the monitor.

Regards

Mark
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

Barcrest

That looks like it is loading up but not being run as admin... Also if you have a stripped down tiny XP that might also be the problem, I know people have had issues with these custom windows builds. Does that one have WMP installed in it?
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

toastyhamster

It's admin, but I'll create another user and test it.

Probably doesn't have WMP on it, is that a requirement?  It's not really stripped down, it's just a basic XP build - usually I'd then upgrade the browsers and all the other stuff you need to run a desktop but as it's dedicated jukebox there was no need.  Happy to install whatever it needs, .Net etc. Just let me know.

Barcrest

By admin i mean right click the exe and select properties and then under compatibility set it to run as admin. It is nothing to do with the account you are logged in as.

Jukebox Stats...

Mark Norville

I've reported this post to admin now, Barry has been hacked, it is now Saturday afternoon and as you all know the boss does not make posts at the weekend, he is usually boozing lol
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

Barcrest

I was but this was before I went out.  :beer

Jukebox Stats...

Azlad

I had this exact same issue.  25,000 + tracks with windows XP SP3.  Like the original poster, first thought was "oh no, it can't handle that many tracks".  The "run as administrator" thing worked, so it obviously can.
Oh ye of little faith.
:)

Barcrest

I have over 250,000 tracks and it works without an issue.

Jukebox Stats...

Azlad

"Run as" works fine but I cannot find a way (in XP) of making it run as Administrator by default so I have to right click, select "run as" and then type in admin password.  Kind of defeats the object of having a touch screen jukebox :(

Looks like I'm going to have to upgrade to 7 but I don't have disc.  Ironic thing is, machine (second hand) had Windows 7 on it but I took it off because I prefer XP and now I can't get my new favourite jukebox software to run in it.

Bleeping computers! >:(

Mark Norville

I am not sure if this works on xp but it does on windows.

Right click the software you want to run as admin
Select properties
goto compatibility
select privilege level

It might be something else but here is from microgreed

To start a program as an administrator

In Windows Explorer, click the program executable file that you want to open.

Press SHIFT and hold, right-click the program icon, and then click Run as.

To log on using an Administrator account, click The following user.

In User name and Password, type the Administrator account name and password that you want to use.

Note

Use this procedure if you want to perform administrative tasks when you are logged on as a member of another group, such as Users or Power Users.

If you want to run a program as a domain administrator, in User name, type the name of the domain followed by the administrator account name. For example:

DomainName\AdministratorName

Use of Run as is not limited to Administrator accounts.

If you try to start a program, such as an MMC console or Control Panel item, from a network location using Run as, it could fail if the credentials used to connect to the network share are different from the credentials used to start the program. The credentials used to run the program might not be able to gain access to the same network share.

If Run as fails, the Secondary Logon service may not be running. For more information, click Related Topics.

You can also use Run as from the command prompt. For more information, click Related Topics.

The Secondary Logon service accepts only password authentication. If policies require smart card logon, then Run as will not work.

Azlad

Thanks but tried that (the first part).  There is no "privilege level" option in compatibility.

I can start it as administrator using the right click and entering the admin password but that only works that one time. 

I've spent about 3 hours going all over the internet trying to find a solution.  How crazy is it that you can run a program as the administrator but you can't set that program to run as the administrator by default!

Mark Norville

You could make a batch file to start etouch as admin

runas.exe /user:administrator c:\path\to\program.exe

create a text file, save as (all files) eTouch.bat

obviously change the path\to\ to where you have the eTouch installed, so in my case it will be

runas.exe /user:administrator c:\E-Touch Jukebox 9\etouch9.exe

Barry or one of the guys that run Windows XP will either be on later or in the morning and they might be able to help you better than I can as I am running Windows 7

Regards

Mark

Mark Norville

Azlad

Thanks Mark.

The bat file didn't work.  Just resulted in a command screen flashing up briefly and nothing else.

I had already tried the procedure at www.howtogeek.com but I thought I'd give it another try.  First part went on about enabling the administrator account which is disabled by default.  Of course, my administrator account password had changed (lord knows how!) so then I had to go to another site to find out how to reset it.  I was following the steps in that process to reset administrator password and I stumbled across a way of booting in to administrator mode without the need for password.  Now I have a shortcut to E-Touch saved to desk top of my administrator account and it works a treat  :)

I have copy and pasted the instructions from the second site so others having the same XP hanging, having to run as administrator, issue can try it and hopefully it will work for them too.

The only thing I am ever so slightly worried about is Windows is now auto booting me in to my administrator account and I've heard this is not a good idea. I don't intend adding any more programs to the PC and the music and video files I will add are to a USB external HDD, not main hard drive.  I'm never going to hook this up to the internet - it's stand alone PC inside my juke - so I'm not worried about it getting viruses via internet.  Anyone know if this is a real big issue (booting in as admin and using that admin account to run E-Touch)?  Is it a bit "Dr.Pepper"   i.e. what's the worst that could happen?

Anyways off to do some tagging now I got E-Touch to work in Windows XP with SP3.

Thanks for the support.  No doubt I will be asking for more in the future (and hopefully I can return the favour sometime)  :)

Andy

Instructions for setting XP up so that it logs you in as Administrator (so you can run e-touch without having to right click on the exe and selecting run as...:
First reboot Windows XP in safe mode by re-starting the computer and pressing F8 repeatedly as the computer starts up (after first screen (whatever it's called!) but before Windows symbol appears on screen

Once in safe mode click Start and then click Run

In the open box type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes - I have just used quotes to differentiate what you have to type

You will now have access to all the user accounts, including the administrators account and will be able to reset the lost password

Check the box that says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer

Click on your regular user name

Click reset password

If you want to enter a password for your regular user name you can do it or (just in case you're prone to forgetting passwords like I am!) tab through

Click OK

Uncheck box that says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"

Should bring up "Automatically Log On" screen. 

On this screen, to set it up so that you automatically log on as administrator, type in User name of "Administrator".  Tab through the Password and Confirm Password fields (type nothing in)

Click OK

You will be prompted to restart computer.

When computer restarts you should be automatically logged in as administrator

So create a shortcut to e-touch on the desktop and when you double click it, e-touch should open fine as you are running it as the administrator by default!