Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

SPASMODIC DUPLICATE QUEUE ITEMS WHEN I DON'T ALLOW ANY

Started by wwwombat, January 08, 2019, 02:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwwombat

SPASMODIC DUPLICATE QUEUE ITEMS WHEN I DON'T ALLOW ANY
Can't track down exactly why this sometime occurs for me so can't easily replicate.

The ALLOW DUPLICATES IN QUEUE option on the QUEUE SETTINGS tab is unchecked.

For the most part if I attempt to add a song to the queue, and it already exists in the queue, then it won't let me add it again until the first one is currently playing or has played (and thus removed itself from the queue).

However I have noticed as I am going through an entire year's chart entries, checking them and adding them to the queue to listen to, that sometimes a song will NOT recognise it is already in the queue and allow me to readd it. This happens somewhat infrequently but I reckon I did manage to get one song into the queue 3 or 4 times as it kept reappearing month after month.

From what I remember, when this does occur, the duplicate song's album art in the queue is NOT correct (and I don't think it's consistent as to what it is), yet when I click on it, it does resolve to the correct song and will eventually play (again) when its time comes.

I need to gather more empirical evidence on this but I don't know if there's any extra debugging information I can get access to... or whether anyone else has noticed this behaviour and has a theory as to why?

wwwombat

Still haven't got an inkling yet as to why this occurs but just noticed 2 associated things.

TTS sometimes announces the wrong title/artist (which is how I guess it appears visually in the queue) but then plays the correct song.

Also, as the queue is playing, I'll be navigating the track pages and when the song is about to play them occasionally it announces the song title/artist of the song page I'm currently viewing (instead of the real one) even though I haven't hit the button to add it to the queue (or do so at all). Again, the correct song actually ends up playing behind the scenes.

Not sure if you have any debug code that can be output for the queue feature to help track this down.

wwwombat

I just managed to capture some screen images of this about to happen in the upcoming queue where the wrong song/artist is displayed (it was showing "Julie Anne" by Kenny which was present way earlier in the queue correctly when it erroneously added it for the second time) BUT the folder of the correct artist is displayed (it was actually "Rock And Roll Music" by The Beach Boys).. .these were part of the 1976 monthly chart lists so I knew ahead of time what should be playing when.

When it came to play, the correct (Beach Boy) song was indeed played.

Not sure whether it's worth loading the screen grabs up though since it really doesn't shown anything extra than I've described. Once played, the correct picture/title/artist is shown in the PLAY HISTORY though.

Again, I can't yet find a consistent rhyme or reason why this happens and can't spot any similarities between any pairing of tracks that exhibit this. Some debug code would be appreciated.

Barcrest

This could be hard to track down and replicate but my guess is that there could be an error with the tags for these songs.

Check that ID3V1 and V2 tags match. I use the V2 tags but I have seen an issue with tracks where the V1 tag doesn't match and is sometime corrupt.
I would also suggest using the guide on here to check you do not have any corrupt mp3's.

If you have done both of the above and it is still doing this then I would say we have a bug. You can run E-Touch with the /d flag to get more debug information.

The best option might be, once you have these odd duplicates in the queue make sure you have save queue on exit set then exit the jukebox to windows and open the queue up in notepad and take a look at the entries and see what it has put for these erronous tracks. This might help me in tracking down what is going wrong.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

Mark Norville

The best way of getting around duplicates is being selective with your jukebox. Instead of uploading albums, like I have done in the past. When I get my juke back up, the chances are I will just use singles, do all the chart entries for an artist in a folder, and then maybe add extras from greatest hits albums.

ONE EXAMPLE ONLY OTHERS AVAILABLE I HAVE NOT USED THIS : https://www.easyduplicatefinder.com/mp3-duplicate-finder.html

A program such as this could help with any duplicates, if you do not want to go through your jukebox.

Regards

Mark
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

wwwombat

Mark... please don't get confused about what the issue is here.

I DON'T have duplicate songs on my system/in my database (well, just a couple but that was deliberate on my part i.e. Elton John and Kiki Dee both deliberately have the same "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" song in their respective folders. And these ones haven't been implicated in this process yet.) Seems like I structure my artist folder very similar to yourself, designing my own artist "Greatest Hits" folders.

Please re-read my posts. The SAME song is being readded to the queue when it shouldn't because of the option I have checked.

And when it is re-added, it shows invalid (seemingly random - but I believe it is pulling from other current queue records) display details in the queue yet ends up playing the correct song (but that still means I hear it more than once, when I shouldn't.)

I know you're trying to be helpful but, with all due respect, I think this solely rests with Barry for now to investigate this bit of code, ask for more testing from myself and possibly provide some extra debugging code if he can't immediately theorise what's happening when he looks at his code.

@Barry - tags etc. all good. Remember all of these "duplicate" songs in the queue end up playing fine (and the first shows the complete set of correct details.)

Re: The best option might be, once you have these odd duplicates in the queue make sure you have save queue on exit set then exit the jukebox to windows and open the queue up in notepad and take a look at the entries and see what it has put for these erroneous tracks. This might help me in tracking down what is going wrong.

Good idea... I'm sure I'll have some I can find in the queue today. It's inconsistent and infrequent but I usually get a few processing a year's chart entries.

wwwombat

Okay... it just so happens that I can see (within the E-Touch queue page) that the second song in the current queue is wrong as I work my way through the late 1976 charts.

Shut down E-Touch (I always save the queue) and had a look at the queue.upl and no surprise it has the "wrong" details (well, the mp3 and folder.jpg are correct but the mp3 information has been "stolen" from another song that I believe was in the queue earlier.)

The tags in both songs are correct - V1 tag = V2 tag - and both play fine in and out of E-Touch. I use Tag&Rename to initially tag all my songs from the filename/directory and then add in year/genre details later. I have it set to update the V1 tag when I save the v2 tag so, apart from any truncation possibly necessary for the V1 tag, they are identical. Truncation doesn't apply in this case.

folder.jpg/folder_small.jpg in each folder seem fine (I learnt long ago that some apps don't like progressive jpgs) and neither song has internal folder art (I am progressively adding "single" artwork to each song when I get enthused about it and can find some - you don't use it but other apps like SONOS do)

Always keep in mind this isn't a consistent error as far as I can see. I could choose exactly the same song, or pair of songs, at a later date and they'll work fine.

I see the format of your queue.upl file. Relevant section details for just this song are:-

j:\jukebox\B\Bay City Rollers_Bay City Rollers (#)\I Only Wanna Be With You_Bay City Rollers.mp3
Captain & Tennille
Lonely Night (Angel Faces)
Captain & Tennille (#)
UNKNOWN USER
Pop
j:\jukebox\Bay City Rollers_Bay City Rollers (#)\folder.jpg
3:18

But that just backs up what I'm seeing... all the mp3 tag information is from another song but the graphics and mp3 are from the truly desired song. Remember this song played earlier in the queue and had all the right information on that iteration. So I'm assuming you're storing this information in a separate temporary array and there's a muddle-up happening somewhere and only sometimes.

So we still need to nut out why it's writing that information (and why the queue search algorithm didn't recognise it already existed in the queue.) We need to catch this at the time the queue is searched for a duplicate and then gets written to it... I reckon I've tried the current debug options before but I couldn't see anything relevant in the output.

Barcrest

Is there a song change over happening at the same time this song is added?
How is the song added, are you using add all to queue from the track listing screen or adding an individual track?

If you are using add all to queue then it could be that has a bug, and it could be the bug is caused either by the now playing song changing as it is added to the queue or the way i am adding all to queue and processing the list.

If it is to do witht he song change over then I will need to swap a couple of variables around and I should be able to prevent it happening.

Jukebox Stats...

wwwombat

All of these occur when adding an individual song to the queue. I haven't validated the ADD ALL TO QUEUE and don't usually use it (I'll check this out in the future.)

I think it can happen wherever the current playing song is up to - not just at the start/end but I'll keep this in mind through the day.

As previously mentioned I have however noticed, but don't know if it's related, that sometimes when the songs are undergoing their crossfade / start of song that TTS announces the track/artist of the song that I have on my screen but HAVE NOT YET pressed the button to add it to the queue if I bother to at all (which made me wonder if you're sharing a temporary variable or two somewhere).

Barcrest

Quote from: wwwombat on January 24, 2019, 10:15:20 PM
As previously mentioned I have however noticed, but don't know if it's related, that sometimes when the songs are undergoing their crossfade / start of song that TTS announces the track/artist of the song that I have on my screen but HAVE NOT YET pressed the button to add it to the queue if I bother to at all (which made me wonder if you're sharing a temporary variable or two somewhere).

I have one set of variables that hold the tag data an this is where I think the issue lies with error. I will look at adding some specific variables for different things. This is a fair bit of work that I have never bothered with because it is like a perfect storm to encounter an issue. I will take a look over the weekend and make a new beta for you to try that hopefully will resolve these issues.

Jukebox Stats...