Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

SOME CHART ENTRIES DON'T RETURN THE EXACT SONG I WANT

Started by wwwombat, January 08, 2019, 02:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwwombat

SOME CHART ENTRIES DON'T RETURN THE EXACT SONG I WANT ("EXACT MATCH" ISN'T AN EXACT MATCH)
To quote George Orwell from "Animal Farm", "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

Doesn't really matter if EXACT MATCH is on or off, but sometimes there's different variations of the same song that chart in different regions, or someone does a cover of an original artist's song that just happens to feature that original artist. I'm still slowly validating every single song but here's a few chart entries on my system that I've found so far that don't throw up the desired song. Of course, all normal browsing/searching of the database gives the correct song.

• Rod Stewart : Da Ya Think I'm Sexy (UK 1978 NOV) returns N-Trance featuring Rod Stewart : Da Ya Think I'm Sexy
  • Queen : We Will Rock You (AUS 1978 FEB) returns Five featuring Queen : We Will Rock You
  • Kool & The Gang : Ladies' Night (UK 1979 NOV) returns Atomic Kitten featuring Kool & The Gang : Ladies' Night
  • Yes : Owner Of A Lonely Heart (USA 1984 FEB) returns Max Graham vs Yes : Owner Of A Lonely Heart
  • Band Aid : Do They Know It's Christmas (UK 1984 DEC) returns Band Aid 20 : Do They Know It's Christmas
  • The Proclaimers : I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) (AUS 1989 FEB) returns The Proclaimers featuring Brian Potter & Andy Pipkin : I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
  • U2 : One (AUS 1992 APR) returns   Mary J. Blige & U2 : One
  • Madonna : Music (UK 2000 AUG) returns Britney Spears featuring Madonna : Me Against The Music
  • Jennifer Lopez : Ain't It Funny   (UK 2002 MAR) returns Jennifer Lopez featuring Ja Rule & Cadillac Tah : Ain't It Funny (Murder Remix)
  • N-Sync : Girlfriend (AUS 2002 MAY) returns N-Sync featuring Nelly : Girlfriend
  • Katy Perry : E.T. (AUS 2011 FEB) returns Katy Perry featuring Kanye West : E.T.
  • Mariah Carey : All I Want For Christmas Is You (UK 2018 DEC) returns Mariah Carey & Justin Bieber : All I Want For Christmas Is You
  • Sia : Elastic Heart (AUS 2015 FEB) returns Sia featuring The Weeknd & Diplo : Elastic Heart
  • Sia : Cheap Thrills (AUS 2016 APR) returns Sia featuring Sean Paul : Cheap Thrills

Surely "EXACT MATCH" should be what it advertises to be - exact match.

ADDITIONAL WISHLIST ITEM - HANDLING "DOUBLE-SIDED" CHART ENTRIES
Now that I've said that, I'll put this "Wishlist" item here since it directly relates to the above issue.

I usually turn on "Exact Match" when checking my CHART files but then turn it off for actual execution - because that way any "double-sided" hits (i.e "Creedence Clearwater Revival","Up Around The Bend / Run Through The Jungle") actually gets the first song found since I believe you use the first 7 characters of possibly both track title and artist in your search string construction.

I know you have included the capability to have the individual month charts extend beyond 10 entries so I could put each song on a new line, but I prefer to keep them together so the "chart numbering" (1-10) is correct.

I also plan to abuse the current handling when it comes to EPs - identifying the best song on the EP and placing that before the / and the name of the EP after it. I'm not sure there's a better way to direct-link to an EP otherwise (which is technically a separate "album" on my system).

i.e. with EXACT MATCH on, nothing will resolve for these two entries:-

but with EXACT MATCH off, the first track of each will resolve, and the second one (if applicable) can be accessed by clicking through on the cover art to display the entire "album" track listing

I wonder if you would contemplate a change whereupon if a / is present in the chart information (be it artist or title... Lee Marvin / Clint Eastwood released a two track top-ten-charting single back in the day with different songs), AND exact match was on, that the search string would be set to all characters up to the last non-blank before the parentheses? (I say last non-blank since I like to put a space either side of the / for readability purposes)

This would also resolve the following sub-issue.

SHORT (< eight) TRACK TITLE "DOUBLE-SIDED" CHART ENTRIES
There is still a problem with "double-sided" entries and EXACT MATCH off if the desired (first) track name is < 8 characters or both are.

i.e. There's a 1995 UK chart entry for Supergrass where both track titles (Alright / Time) aren't long enough for your current approach. The above EXACT MATCH strip to last non-blank character before the / would resolve this.