Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

SOME SONGS ARE JUST NOT FOUND VIA CHARTS

Started by wwwombat, January 08, 2019, 02:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwwombat

SOME SONGS ARE JUST NOT FOUND VIA CHARTS
I haven't cracked yet exactly why the following files (so far) have NOT be found on my system when attempting a lookup via the CHARTS function. Thousands of other entries work fine.

They are in the ETouch database and I can get to them via normal browsing or searching mechanisms.

I have microscopically investigated both the tag information and the chart line and, apart from a few I did admittedly fat-finger (and correct), I cannot yet find out why these entries are not being found.

i.e. here's a relatively-recent entry that is in the USA 2017 JUNE charts. You can see the audio file (and I also have the video) exists within ETouch

and is selectable

but when I go in via the CHARTS function it doesn't "see" it even though I swear the entries are identical. Happens for both audio and video.

Doesn't matter if EXACT MATCH is on or off for these and therefore whether your "first 7 characters" thing comes into play - they're just not found and I can't yet figure out why. Do you perhaps do any "search from this point on" with some index value in the CHARTS lookup?

I know there's possibly ambiguous numbers/letters in the above example (but I believe all tags/nn.txt entries match) but the following is my current list of files (so far) this is occurring for me in case you see a commonality I cannot. The songs can be found and play fine within ETouch otherwise.

• Billy Idol : Eyes Without A Face (1984/07)
  • Five Star : System Addict (1986/02)
  • Mr. Mister : Kyrie (1986/03)
  • Tina Turner : Typical Male (1986/10)
  • Madonna : Justify My Love (1990/12)
  • Backstreet Boys : Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) (1997/01)
  • Oasis : D'You Know What I Mean (1997/07)
  • ATB : 9pm (Till I Come) (1999/06)
  • Oasis : Lyla (2005/06)
  • Baby Bash featuring T-Pain : Cyclone (2007/11)
  • Lil Uzi Vert : XO Tour Llif3 (2017/05)

*NB* The following is a cautionary note for "future me" and other users where the track doesn't even make it into the ETouch databse.

DON'T NAME SONGS WITH LEADING DOTS (OR ELLIPSIS) - TRAILING ARE OKAY (AS LONG AS THEY'RE NOT ON A FOLDER)
This isn't an error for you per se, just the way Windows works I guess so more a notation for anyone else who may name files similar.

I had 2 songs on the jukebox ("...Baby One More Time by Britney Spears" and "...Ready For It by Taylor Swift") that just would not appear in the database at all, unlike the above.

Eventually realized that the leading dots were probably being interpreted by Windows etc. as a CD DIRECTORY UP. But the real kicker, as far as ETouch seems to be concerned, is that naming them as such seemed to have turned on the HIDDEN attribute flag. I always have my Windows File Explorer to show ALL folders so took me ages to twig to it. Finding these files and turning off the HIDDEN attribute obviously allowed the next execution of ETouch config.exe to once again see them.

Mark Norville

Ok my solutions are pretty extreme, but these are what I would try

1) I would delete the databases and re import
2) I was thinking about 2 but woke up at 5am and am brain dead

Regards

Mark
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

Barcrest

I am guessing there are some odd characters in the MP3 tag. Check the ID3V2 tag is correct and sync it with the ID3V1 tag. I use tag and rename for this. There is a thred somewhere about scanning you library for invalid mp3 files.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

wwwombat

Thanks for the replies but
  • I've long been in the habit of deleting all databases files before using config10.exe to completely rebuild them
  • Believe me... I've checked the tags. There shouldn't be any way I get so many wrong and look at some of them... they're pretty simple. In fact, I've even manually retyped the filenames (to remove the possibility of strange characters), retagged them with Tag&Rename (I use a mask to pull the relevant details from my directory and filename) and then cut'n'pasted the details into the relevant chart file.

So, on a whim and a prayer, could I ask one of you (or anyone else who wants to have a crack) to either find one of these songs in your system (or just clone any other mp3 and name it accordingly), make sure the track artist/track title tags are updated and match one from my list and then find (I've given the first chart appearance it should exist in in the AUS, UK or USA charts if you have those on your system) or create say a dummy entry for FEB 2019 (02.txt) with this in it and see if you can duplicate my error.

I still think something more sinister is coming into play here.

wwwombat

sync it with the ID3V1

Hmmmm... I may quickly peek at this... Surely the ID3V2 tag is used if present though since V1 was never long enough for me and I'd have 100s/1000s of songs where the V1 one would just be truncated.

(update) My TAG&Rename preferences already specify to "always create/update ID3V1" when saving ID3V2 tag. And they appear identical.

wwwombat

HOLD UP!

I was typing up a chart entry with all these entries in it when maybe I HAVE spotted a commonality between them.

Every track listed starts with a different letter. Look at the 2nd letter in the track title. Usually it's a 'y' or some other letter ('u') that probably means it's the last song in its "letter" section.

Not sure how I can easily verify this but I now have a HUGE suspicion I'm suffering from some index being out by one or two, similar to the VIDEO Z bug I described (and also had in the audio section many years ago).

wwwombat

Probably a better way to do it but I quickly cobbled up a small DOS script to print all mp3 filenames out in my jukebox subfolders i.e.

for /f "tokens=*" %%A in ('dir /s /b *.mp3') do echo %%~nxA >> list.txt

(*NB* Can take a while to run, but need the for loop because the dir /a-d switch (to just display filenames) doesn't seem to work if you need to go through subdirectories)

Sorting the list.txt in UltraEdit allows me to seemingly validate that the files listed ARE the last in their letter section. In fact, I even found a new one - "Cher - Gypsys, Tramps And Thieves" that I discovered yesterday which follows the same pattern.

Creating my own dummy FEB 2019 02.txt member with these entries shows all AUDIO files not found.

The same chart entry run against videos correctly highlights all the ones I do have so this appears to affect audio only.

Hopefully that gives you something to go on Barry.

Looks like your (audio) indexing might be out by 1 unless top'n'tail songs of the entire set is throwing your logic off (i.e. the very first audio song, "alphabetically" I have on the jukebox is "! (The Song Formerly Known As" by Regurgitator followed by a few #titles (#Beautiful, #SELFIE, #thatPOWER). At the other audio end is either "Zorba's Dance" by Marcello Minerbi or, because of the way UltraEdit sorts - 3 lowercase-beginning titles (aNYway by Duck Sauce, iSpy by KYLE featuring Lil Yatchy and mOBSCENE by Marilyn Manson)).

Anyhoo, I'm sure you can find files on your system to test against now you know you're looking for the last song title in each "letter" section.