Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Config runs slow on SSDs!

Started by Risim, February 25, 2020, 07:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Risim

Anyone have feedback on this.  I bought a big enough ssd to have my music db and OS on the same drive.  I love it etouch pages really fast and scrolling animation work smoother but when I run config to update my db it freezes every once and awhile.  I know the music db is fine and config runs without issue on regular drives.  In my opinion it seems the drive scans the music so fast the config has to catch up but I no expert.  Any Ideas?

Mark Norville

You could potentially be looking at a dodgy SSD drive at worse case scenario.

I think that Barry has set up on a SSD before, and I have as well come to think of it. Well at least my jukebox was on SSD but the music on standard drives.

You would need one hell of a SSD to have operating and music files on and they are reasonably newish the 1 tb drives at an affordable cost.

The only way that you could check it, is using another SSD and less music files, and keep increasing.

You could do that with your larger SSD just import a few at a time, until all set up.

Are you running windows 10? A lot of problems on that as well by all accounts, updates being pulled etc.

Regards

Mark
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

Barcrest

I have only ever used the SSD for the O/S not for storing music due to the cost, my music library is about 3gb. The only time I have seen the config stick is when there have been corrupt MP3's. There is a guide on here how to scan and fix your library with some free tools. I would suggest that as it does sound like a couple of corrupt tags in files.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

Risim

Quote from: Mark Norville on February 26, 2020, 05:32:05 AM
Are you running windows 10? A lot of problems on that as well by all accounts, updates being pulled etc.
No sir, I still run win 7 on my jukes but my trial pc is win 10.  The error occurs on both os.  thanks for the reply :beer[quote

author=Barcrest link=topic=6443.msg45062#msg45062 date=1582709398]
I have only ever used the SSD for the O/S not for storing music due to the cost, my music library is about 3gb. The only time I have seen the config stick is when there have been corrupt MP3's. There is a guide on here how to scan and fix your library with some free tools. I would suggest that as it does sound like a couple of corrupt tags in files.
[/quote]

I have done the clean up of corrupt mp3 in know its not the music db.  May be its the ssd like mark suggested but I have 4 ssds and config pauses in all of them.  I had to buy eternal hds and put the music on that drive and it works perfectly.  Like I said it seems like the files scroll by too fast for the config and it is always tryng to catch up.
If you have a ssd transfer like 5-10gigs of music on it and run config you should see what I mean.

Mark Norville

The problem could just be the age of the software and the programming language itself.

SSD's were not around when the programming language came out, and it was a balls up from microgreed. It was the programming language of the devil. I started on visual basic in 1999 - 2000. I spent £100 on books to program in visual basic, I ended up writing my own lottery generator. I put it on a disk for my ex's work mate, he tried it and it came up with virus warning.

Sadly they never done anything to alter that problem, which is why we see people asking in relation to viruses.

I was running etouch on a SSD, and standard hard drives, and it would sometimes run a bit slow, especially if importing a large library.

In the end it would get there, however, I would stay clear of 10 unless you are using that for external jukebox operations, I think you are a commercial operator, so you might have to use 10 now.

Regards

Mark
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

jukejohn

I have run etouch using SSDs with no problems at all using various brands of SSDs

is it maybe the brand of your SSD

do you have something set wrong in bios maybe set bios to default settings you would be surprised what a difference that can make

is it possible to try it out the drive on another motherboard or pc to see if the results are the same

a matter of elimination will sort it

Risim

Quote from: Mark Norville on February 28, 2020, 06:30:36 PM
In the end it would get there, however, I would stay clear of 10 unless you are using that for external jukebox operations, I think you are a commercial operator, so you might have to use 10 now.
I don't understand Mark?

Quote from: jukejohn on February 28, 2020, 08:21:21 PM
I have run etouch using SSDs with no problems at all using various brands of SSDs

is it maybe the brand of your SSD

do you have something set wrong in bios maybe set bios to default settings you would be surprised what a difference that can make

Brand is Western Digital. Have you ran it with your music db also on the drive?   I have tried it on a different mobo, also erase the music db , but I haven't checked the bios...  I will need to google that I do not know what I will be looking for.

Mark Norville

You are a commercial operator so using windows 10 might be better for you with continued virus support.

However, I cannot stand 10 it is useless, but in some respects you run less of a risk of being hacked so you might be forced into using 10 for your operating system.

For home use I am sticking to windows 7. The only computer I might have to upgrade at some point would be my arcade machine.

Risim

Ahhh ok now I understand.  I don't use internet on my jukeboxes so for win 7 its good enough for now.  I don't think any commercial user is using win 10, I may be wrong.  From what I understand win 7 is more stable for etouch again may be wrong. :beer

Mark Norville

Yep better on older systems such as xp and win 7.

As long as systems are offline, then no issues with viruses. However, I had one that I stupidly installed, which took over my boot menu, took over chrome and started buying robotic vacuum cleaners from amazon.

Infected my whole network, and two formats later and new email addresses I am back ok, I still have to test another two computers but hopefully as they were not connected they might be ok.

I was greedy and tried installing a plex server that was supposed to be full version.

Barcrest

I use 7 on the dev machine but i have e-touch running on windows 10 and windows 8 machines without a problem. The key is not installing in program files and to make sure all exe's are run as administrator.

I will copy some music to an SSD and run a test tonight, I don't think it is how the config is programmed as that will read in tags as quick as it can. When I have seen it pause it is usually on the same file and it indicated some sort of mis-match/tag error.

If you look at the album it is hanging on try and re-sync the idV1 and idV2 tags to that album and the next album on the drive and run it again.

Jukebox Stats...

Norman Marshall

Am i missing something here,,,I've got etouch installed in program files on windows 7 on the C drive..along with karaoke software and Visual effects software and touchscreen software plus software updates On another HDD i have my music database and on another HDD i have my karaoke database, everything running fine...No hick ups No nothing, everything is running as i want it to...what am i missing???
Dear God, Please bring back Bob Marley, In return you can have Justin Bieber. Amen

Risim

Quote from: Barcrest on March 03, 2020, 12:04:52 PM
If you look at the album it is hanging on try and re-sync the idV1 and idV2 tags to that album and the next album on the drive and run it again.
That is the thing it does not always hang on the same album.

Barcrest

Quote from: GlennCarnell on March 03, 2020, 10:20:06 PM
Am i missing something here,,,I've got etouch installed in program files on windows 7 on the C drive..along with karaoke software and Visual effects software and touchscreen software plus software updates On another HDD i have my music database and on another HDD i have my karaoke database, everything running fine...No hick ups No nothing, everything is running as i want it to...what am i missing???

Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft so it isn't safe having it connected to the internet.

After XP Microsoft changed how programs access the drive especially under program files. This has caused issues for some people which is why I suggest running from somewhere like C:\E-Touch\ and always running the exe's as administrator.

Jukebox Stats...

Norman Marshall

My juke isn't connected to the net but i think its time it was because downloading from YouTube is becoming a rite ball ache, not to mention renaming and tagging them, i also think its time for an upgrade to win 10, mite even replace the hardware with new...but then if its not broken...why fix it..
Dear God, Please bring back Bob Marley, In return you can have Justin Bieber. Amen