News:

Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Do people store their music by artists last name?

Started by James77, March 19, 2008, 02:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James77

Hi,
I was wondering what most people do.

Currently I store my music like this:

Amy Winehouse/Back To Black/

When using Freebox to browse the covers, Amy Winehouse would be under Amy, not Winehouse.  I am debating on reversing my artists (Winehouse,Amy/Back To Black).  This would organize them correctly in Freebox, but it would displayed backwards ( I guess that would be ok, I was just wondering what other people do.)

Thanks,
James

Barcrest

Freebox doesn't use the directory structure to organise the music it uses the tags. So if you want Amy Winehouse to appear under Winehouse then you would need to alter that artist tag to be Winehouse, Amy.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

James77

Barry,
I know, its just when I use the beta tagger it pulls from the directory structure.  I was just wondering if most people do with amy winehouse or winehouse, amy.

Thanks,
James

kizer

I normally do first name then last name. Primarly because the Album covers are printed up that way. The only thing I reverse is the "The" in the title.
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

casper

I have all mine first name and then last name and any artists with the at the start i removed altogether in tag and rename infact the only artists with the at the start is The The.

James77

I wonder if it would be possible to have all of our files tagged winehouse, amy   who, the  etc..  and have Freebox sort it that way, but display it amy winehouse, the who, etc...

Maybe if Freebox noticed a comma in the name, it would reverse it.  That way amy winehouse would be under winehouse, but it would be displayed amy winehouse.  Hmm...

Oh, and what do you guys do with compilations?   Do you put all the Christmas albums under Christmas, soundtracts under soundtracks, etc...  Or do you do it some other way. The only negative I see is that "christmas" and "compilations" would be up front in the browsing, and you would have to skip though all those when you look for songs.  I guess the best way would be to use Genre's, or possibly put them at the very end your collection.

Barcrest

I leave my various albums as Various Artists, they are all grouped at the end. I do however tag the genre tag for christmas as christmas and i can filter by that if i need to.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...