Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Jukebox Crashing

Started by Cary_B, May 23, 2008, 03:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cary_B

Barry, would it be possible to have an option to make a log of the songs played in random mode? Just a text file I could access would be fine.

I am still having a problem with the jukebox crashing while playing in random mode, some times after just a few hours, sometimes after 20 or more hours.  I think it has to do with one or more bad MP3 files, but am not sure which one(s).  Trying to track them down is driving me nuts. 

If this is possible, could you make it log the song when it starts playing, so when I check the log, I can see what song was playing when it crashed?

If this isn't possible, does anyone know of a GOOD program to check MP3 files for their compatibily with this program?  I am using Tag&Rename now, and I thought it was the best.  But I guess it could be to do with the encoding itself.  All the MP3s in the database now were ripped with EAC/Lame, I think. (I got rid of the crap I encoded with Itunes, that was definitaly a problem).

Cary_B

OK, scratch that. There already is a log file of random songs, I missed it, as I was looking for a .txt file, not a .cvr file.

Anyway, that didn't help. I tried the file it was on when it crashed, and it played fine when I played it. Not sure what is causing the crash yet.

kizer

I wonder if the file that is crashing it plays first then records? Meaning it hasn't finished playing before it writes it to that file.
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

spudgunman

try running with config6, I put a bunch of loggin for failed tags and such (a lot of fix with WMA)

otherwise I did have a post at one point to add the "random play" to the recent play list feature request some posts back.

Cary_B

Quote from: kizer on May 23, 2008, 08:05:02 PM
I wonder if the file that is crashing it plays first then records? Meaning it hasn't finished playing before it writes it to that file.

From what I can tell, it picks a song, adds it to the list, then plays it.  I checked it by letting it start playing, then shut down, then checking the log. The song playing was already in the log file.

As for config 6, I am using the one that came with current demo.  I will download config 6 and try it.

squirrellydw

try searching the forum on here, I had the same problem and I think it was because there was a bmp file in the folder.  If there is delete it
Graphic creator of the original BnB, BnR, BnO and BnG Skin
Coffee is the man now

Cary_B

Thanks, I checked that. Had ONE .bmp file in the whole directory.  Also found one word file and got rid of it also. Will see if that helps.

Also, does anyone know of any characters/special characters in file names that the jukebox chokes on currently? I have been cleaning tags for a week now, and anything that looks hinky I am renaming just to be safe. What a process. About 6000 mp3s so far, and loading about 20 to 30 new cd's every day.  Still about 200 to go.

Barcrest

Getting all your tags sorted will be worth it in the long run as other apps and devices rely on good tags. If you transfer any of your songs to an mp3 player or phone you'll be glad you had the correct tags.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

spudgunman

Cary_B

Thanks, I tried MediaMonky, but I still like Tag&Rename.  I think it does an excellent job of tagging.  What I am really looking for is a program to actually scan the MP3 files, and look for bad encoding. Although I use Lame/EAC, I figure that encoding 1000's, if not 10's of 1000's of files will give a bad encode now and then.  I just want to be sure that is not the cause of my crashing.

In the meantime, I am going to try TinyXP this week, and see if that helps.

spudgunman

well you cant fix it all.

FJB crash if WMP will, so check your media on WMP if it isnt crashing but FJB is then send a copy of the media to someone so they can debug what is going wrong.

otherwise FJB will crash on album art or tag data, each of which I hope that my work on config6 is finding and logging the errors and fixing where it can but mostly log so you can fix it.

in FJB (5) (all assumptions at this point) frosty and I will work with B. to read all the data from the database and not the file. So all crashing is the result of our coding and not the file (cant help the WMA issue)

thats the thought anyway.

FJB4 is what it is, I have 50k tracks and none kill out the media player for reasons of encoding.

if your concerned about the functionality in a commercial market I might suggest you harden XP and make a kiosk following all the rules of that method of user/OS use mainly removing explorer as the shell in the case of FJB as you can then just hide the keyboard and use a T/S

Barcrest

I assume you are running the latest media player (Version 11) and have the latest codecs installed (K-Lite Codec Pack). Just a thought

Jukebox Stats...

Cary_B

Ok, updated the latest Media Player/Codecs. (Forgot to do that when I re-installed WinXP, this needs to be in a fact somewhere.)

Got rid of 95 percent of the problems, but I think my basic problem stems from this:
When I found a couple of errors in my tags, I fixed them, then rebuilt my database.  The only problem is it seems to rebuild on top of the old one, so some of the errors remained.  What all files are created/modified when a database is built, so I can delete them and start 100 percent fresh?

Also, in config 4 (I think) I am still getting the problem when I change "THE" to the end of an Artist (EX: The Who becomes Who, The.  It is still giving me Who                                       ,THe) So I had changed back to config 3.  This is probably the rest of my problems.

Is the new config coming out soon, or should I just quit using the "Change to end of name" feature for now?

spudgunman

well config5 should fix your problems with that.

as for config6 I have monday morning off work and will spend a bit of time adding error logs and such for alpha testing in the public.

Barcrest

AH swapping the name around in that newer config looks like the extra spaces are not being stripped. I can look at that for you, although i am hoping we will have a usable config 6 soon.

Jukebox Stats...