Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Another Project

Started by kizer, August 26, 2008, 08:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kizer

I don't have time for this one either, but I decided to take on another project. It will probably rot in my garage if it ever makes it because of all the junk in it. ;)

Heres the Craigslist Ad.

65 chevy 1/2 ton, 250 6 -cyl 3 on the tree. pretty straight, good tires, collecter plates. drive it to hell and back...15-18 mpg. trade for motorbike.

I traded it for $400 because I don't own a motorbike.

Welp its not pretty, but its mine. ;) A buddy came with me and gave me the thumbs up. He actually drove it home since the front brakes are shot and I've never driven a 3 on the tree before. He took off on one side street up a hill and well I couldn't catch him if I tried in his Jeep.

Looking around there is some work ahead of me. I think looking it over in the drive way after we brought it home I don't think there is one piece of sheet metal that doesn't have a dent or a hole in it. Looks like I'm going to learn how to weld if I like it or not. ;) If Rust is a Cancer this thing is for sure on the Terminally Ill list.

Here are some shots. It was with my camera phone so yes they suck, but its what I have for now. Hopefully I can make some room in the garage and I'll start tearing it apart as time allows.

What I do know:
Looks like a straight 6
3speed on the column and shifts well
Smokes at start up, but doesn't seem to when you get on it.
Windows rollup and down pretty easily
Lights work, however some of the running lights and blinkers seem to have a mind of their own
Horn works
Wood bed
Doors don't squeak or crack when you open and close them
Engine has a leak on top
Windshield wipers work
Starts right up after a few cranks
Clutch appears to engage high up near the top - Adjustable? We will see
Brakes are shot up front. Grind, Grind when you use them.
Blinkers don't appear to work
Frame appears to be straight because it doesn't looks sideways going down the road from behind.

All in all its going to be a project truck. I'm going to learn how to weld, paint and I'm sure I'm going to learn the proper way to fill in holes using the proper amount of bondo. ;) I know most will not use it, but I don't have an endless supply of liquid Metal laying around.

I still have access to another truck so there will be some part stealing. Like the hood and a few other parts. Its going to be a who has the better of the two for starters.
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

Barcrest

surprised dragnit hasn't posted... looks cool dude
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

kizer

Welp brought it in the garage recently and pulled a 1970 Beetle out that I kept saying some day I would work on. It went to a good home where the guy wanted to tear it apart and rebuild it for his 10year old Daughter.

Did a photo shoot around looking for damage and just a general reminder for later how far its come. Or a reminder of how long it sat looking like that before I get anything done. hahahaha
http://s398.photobucket.com/albums/pp64/links4jeeps_chevy/02_rot/
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

kizer

I was super happy to get the front and rear lights working. Its amazing what poking around with the wiring can fix. I've always loved the lights on the hood and I was happier than heck to see them come on and work like they are supposed to.

draginit

hey,  that should b a fun project u got goin.. have you gotten any further with it? You DO plan on dropping right!? haha i like workin on them older trucks but that ones a bit too new for my style.  ;)   
-im stuck in the middle of a move to arizona right now, jumpin from room to room between family, and havnt had a job in over a month, so aall my stuff is in storage and i havnt had time to visit here or work on my 54' or jukebox either....sheesh, life can b rough sometimes ya know!

welp good luck with this truck, but dont b goin and finishing it b4 i finish mine lol

and i cant wait to get my jukebox back out of storage, i miss it now.. broken or not! :'(
Just when you thought it not possible....TwelveNinedy

kizer

Got start somewhere so I did. The wife kicked my outside and said we where leaving in 15minutes. So I took a little dead blow hammer and beat up some rotten wood. Sure I'm sure I have tons more I could be working on, but hey I want to take the bed off and start working in the rear down to the frame and then I'll start working forward.

Needless to say I have a lot of little metal strips that need to be pulled out because they are rusted beyond repair, but the bed supports are fine along with the main bed sections.

Now I just have to break out the PB blaster and start working on all the fittings so I can get things apart. Man its going to be a pain in the ass, but I think it will be fun at the same time

kizer

No big updates, but started pulling more of the bed out. Man I had no idea the bed was a giant erector set. 8 bazillion bolts, but hey I'm having fun so far. Used my new Saw Zaw in the middle just because I could ;) Just pulled out the bed strips and hit the bed with some Rustoleum spray paint just to hold it over until I can start stripping, which hopefully will be in the new few months. But I'm going to try and tackle the frame and suspension components some before playing with body panels.

Told you guys I was a photo freak.

kizer

Just layed out some money to buy some Por15 and that doesn't arrive until next week, but my plans are to strip off all the paint under the bed and including the frame and the lower bed supports and Por15 and coat with Chasis black.

As for the over all look yeah its going to get a static drop meaning drop spindles in the front and some type of drop in the rear along with bags so I can adjust as I see fit. I'm not thinking its going to sit on frame, but its going to be lower than stock.

As for Vintage yeah I've always liked the 55-57 era, but I've also liked the 63-66. I just knew that when I found this for $400 it was a steal and I had to give it some effort. ;)

This is more or less my offical thread/blog for the truck. I just figured why not stir up some yacking here too. ;)
http://www.links4jeeps.com/forum/index.php?topic=8541.0

kizer

Welp yesterday was my Birthday so my present to myself and well work was to take it off. They just happen to believe in paid Birthday leave so I took it.

I decided to take the bed off and do some cleaning on the frame since I need to because hopefully I'll be able to paint the frame under the bed next week before I man up and tackle real work. You know looking for rust and taking big body parts off.

Anyways I got creative and used my engine hoist and some motor cycle straps to lift the bed off after using a cutting wheel on my 4-inch grinder to cut off the bolts holding the bed to the frame. Oh yeah the wife wasn't to impressed coming home finding me using the lawn furniture to support the bed, but hey it was my Birthday so she forgave me some. ;)

Wife says it looks retarded because of the big ass front end and the tiny looking rear end. I of course reassured here that its supposed to look that way because if didn't look retarded everybody would be doing it. hahahaha

I took the power washer to it and hit every possible nook and cranny on the frame behind the cab. I wanted every loose piece to be removed so when I hit it will a stripping wheel next weekend there isn't HUGE chunks of crap everywhere. Its going to be bad enough with the flying surface rust. After power washing it I let the truck sit outside all after noon so any water would evaporate and or just drip off.

After its little visit outside I backed the truck in to the garage and used the same motor cycle straps suspended the bed from the ceiling and lowered it back on to the frame. For now its just going to sit there until I get the frame stripped and painted. As well I made sure I had a support beam running across several trusses so my roof wouldn't buckle and well hurt things. I used two straps on each connection so they would be longer. I could literally raise it up to the ceiling or lay it on the ground. I just wanted a little flexibility. Of course its just a temp hoist not intended to hold up the bed for any lengthy period. Just so I can back in or out and then use the lovely lawn furniture.

I took a ton of photos of the frame just looking for problems. I know I have to replace my bushings on my trailing arms aka control arms as well as the pan hard bar aka track bar. Also I have to look at the shocks, springs and the U-joints. This truck has a long drive shaft that is split in two so I have to service 3 sets of U-joints and a central support that holds up the 3rd U-joint.
http://s398.photobucket.com/albums/pp64/links4jeeps_chevy/13_bed/

kizer

Well my POR15 arrived and between dodging the wifes Honey Do lists and my 3year old I was able to spend some time in the garage.

As we can tell here the surface was well nasty and needed some cleaning. I took a flapper wheel and more or less pulled off all the grime and loose stuff. It it wasn't loose or flakey I just scuffed it up some to give POR15 something to stick to. I was truely surprised to see actual paint under all that crap.

Following the instructions from POR15 they recommend using a cleaning solution which to me sorta smelt like Simple Green and floor wax stripper mixed together. After a rise and then followed by an etching solution followed by another rinse this is what the results where. I of course dried it and let it sit for a few more minutes not indicated in this photo of course. ;)

Grabbed a paint brush and gave it a few strokes. This stuff really lays on pretty easily and they say its self leveling and they are not kidding.

Little side shot of the surface. For some reason my flash turned the surface grey and really exagerated the roughness inside the frame on the drivers side.

Another coat is needed of the base paint then I'm going to hit the frame with Chasis black, pull the coils, shocks and track bar and hit under them. Replace bushings on the control arms, trackbar and relace.

I've thought about hitting the control arms front and rear along with the rear axle with a metal color that they have, but haven't decided as of yet. Either way its all getting hit with the base coat just to keep it painted and well less prone to rust.

I also started locating all of the fastners to reattach the bed. I'm going to replace evertying with with Stainless Steel to make it easier to put things back together and in the future to take things apart. Also I've decided to pickup one of those Factory Assembly Manuals so I can see how things are "supposed" to go back together. ;)

Barcrest

Jukebox Stats...

Chaggy78

Cool looking truck! Spray it all black and it will look well mean!  8)

kizer

Thanks guys. I just started this thread to give the guys that well have other intrests than their Jukes something to look at. Well I also figured that others might do their own little side project shows too.

Yeah I'm just taking it slow and working on it when I can. Money/Time allowing. I figure Ill protect the frame and then goto town on the rest of the body when I can or when I have the money. I figure if the frame doesn't rust away then I'm one step closer to keeping it alive. ;)

I haven't really decided on colors yet, but this one really has me excited.

However I don't plan on having the center cap so I can show off my 6-lugs and chome grease cap, but I do like the red wheels. ;)

Barcrest

That truck looks sweet, i like mat black and red. How about black with flames  ;)

Jukebox Stats...

kizer

Don't know as of yet what the paint is going to be. Its going to be old school thats for sure. I'm trying to avoid the bright and shinny finishes. The only thing that this thing will have shinning is the lights and the chrome front bumper and grill.

Well OK, maybe the mirrors and the door handles as well as the filler neck for the gas tank located in the cab unless I shave them off and/or relocate the gas tank to the rear.