News:

Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

New config3 with working update button...

Started by Barcrest, April 25, 2007, 08:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

netcat

Thanks bro.

I will try these on my real jukebox today.

will report back

netcat

sorry still much problems

I am not complaining just reporting back

libraries mixing
error when generating Video library first
the inability to delete more than one album at a time

netcat

nothing seems to work with play now button nor karaoke, video or music

anyone else notice this.

I think it my be pertinent to put a checklist together of features that we test  when barcrest releases a new version.

this would not only allow us to thouroughly test new versions but also help barry pinpoint when different features stop working to co-relate thin to the changes he has made.

I love Freebox

Barry you are the Absolute best.

jonfinpausa

Thats a good Idea Netcat.

I think we should make a thread in the public forum so all can read and maybe contribute.

what do you think?

Barcrest

Well i can't even replicate the errors you mention.... None of them, so i don't really know what to do about them. Sorry i wasn't around on the weekend i didn't get my job and spent the weekend downing large quantities of newcastle brown
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

netcat

Hi Barry.

Please, Please do not take offense to any of the following observations or sugestions, they are intended solely to make your application better and happier users.

I believe this is what needs to take place in order for Freebox to be consistently reliable.

*     Assemble a comprehensive list of Features
*     Assemble a comprehensive list of Beta testers willing to dedicate necessary time to
       testing these features
*     Concentrate on pinpointing and correcting bugs as a primary goal
*     Establish when and under what circumstances new features will be added
       (Bribe/donation, major feature uproar by the jukebox community)
*     All tests should be conducted in an organized manner and testing information logged
       for future reference
*     New features should be properly documented
*     Whenever possible we should avoid "feature creep" in favor of bug correcting

(FEATURE CREEP) http://searchcio.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid19_gci860179,00.html

kizer

I completely agree on the feature creep.

What I fear and I've always voiced is bloat is bad. An app should not be full of so many features that well make it unusable. Ive watched the ram usage increase slowly as new options and fixes are added. Yes its needed an understood, but lets not kill an awesome thing

New features should be properly documented
Amen. I started and took on the manual, but sometimes it gets hard when the app changes and well sometimes I cant even keep up. I'd love to work on it some more and if anybody would like to help please PM me and lets do it.
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

netcat

Thanks for the support Kizer, we are still awaitimg feedback from Barry, obviously how we proceed is up to him.

I am deffinetly in and will be happy to help in any way I can as long as its within reason.

Barcrest

Well i always try and fix bugs as a priority over adding new features and the config needed a re-write. The old config 2 was just too slow making the update usless on large libraries. Now it is as fast as doing a generate and so it is complete i don't see this as a new feature but bug fixing... Apparently there are still bug with it even though i can't replicate them.

With regard to new features i am quite mercinary and will add something if i am offered money... Usually only if it is something i think will benefit the project in some way but offer me enough and i'll make it play space invaders for you. I didn't get my job and as such money is even more a priority, sorry fellas. If you feel there is to much bloat stick with an earlier version. There are several older versions that are perfectly stable and i have them all at home should anyone require an earlier release, you only have to mail me.

The reason it's taking so long to get a release out is my home life is falling in around me right now so i am having to deal with that first. Also with the new Network / Client operation i am moving the coin settings out of freebox and into the coin module so i am having to re-code that. The network / Client operation has always been my goal since i started and i really want to get this working. Behind the scenes i have been tidying up a lot of code and removing old procedures etc Not every change is visible even though i might have spent hours if not days on it.

I am more than happy for you guys to set something up to track and manage bugs etc i have a private thred i try and keep track of them on... Here is what i have in my sort of todo list thred...

Quote from: Barcrest on February 26, 2007, 11:08:57 AM
High Priority
Removed credit file when credits module is closed if it exists...
Fix up history screen to use a random access file and make a tool to view it.
Skint tool album cover labels
Fix the config3 Issues (See Thred).
make a config ini that saves settings
Skintool Volume Buttons
Add adjustment settings for the volume buttons

Medium Priority
a key press to detect door open
add differnt case for key press
Change textbox into a label on the search screen.
ALL GENRES in genre bar is screwy
Add option to not allow duplicates but still charge, increased revenue.
Animated GIF's on top 20 screen...
Save top20 file each week and start a fresh so you can see movers....

Just an idea. Can't you get the queue to display the time each track will play at. For example "xyz" will play at 21h13. I've seen it on another programme I've used in the past. I think that a customer will use the "play next" or "play now" function more if he can see at what times tracks will play.
Again, it's just an idea, no pressure.

Low Priority
Fix up all other skins and upload to kizers FTP
Support for zip files for the karaoke.
Fix installer to remove all files

Wish List
CD Burning
Add advertisments to second screen.

Reported BUGS

1-when now playing after 500 secs pops up,if you click on the empty cd it crashes freebox

Thanks for fixing the Attract Mode options that weren't saving, but there is a bug with Alpabetical Order option causing immediate crash "Runtime Error 0". I don't use this option but the bug is there.

The genre bar is working properly but could you look at the background color or is there a art file associated with the background that I can't see. The buttons on the genre screen are not moveable as well.

When removng a song from the queue.  If I select a song and remove it no problem.
If I click on remove again without selecting a song I get the Runtime Error 0.
Wondering if any one else experienced this.  Version 2217.
Great program.  No other problems that I've come accross.

Sorry for the long ramble i just wanted to try and let you know where things are going right now. I do appriciate your help in anyway, Kizers manual is awsome but i feel he has less time than i do...

Anyway i should be around tonight if anyone want's to hook up on MSN to see if we can formulate a plan of action. I will also try and get a feature list sorted. I thought i inclueded one in the release but even if i did that is out of date now. Your lucky i even keep a what's new change log LOL I didn't when i first started. hehehe i soon realised i needed one, the same with my todo list thred i keep on here to try and keep track.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

kizer

Barcrest please do not think I do not like the new features. I was just saying when you add more and more some apps get so bloated with 15ways to accomplish the same thing it makes the app rather useless because it eats so much. Believe me I'm running the newest version and love it and do not see that happening, but I will continue in the future to mention it just to keep you on your toes. ;)

As for the manual Ive spent the last few days scanning around the board looking for things to include and will get them included this week for sure. My voicing my need for help if anybody wanted it was self kick in the butt to get moving.
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

jonfinpausa

Sorry Guys I have been a little pre-occupied with parties and termites, darned little creatures.

I think the project is great and Barry you are doing a bang up job.I could be doing more to promote and sell jukeboxs to get generate some income for you I have just been busy in other areas of the company..Sorry;(

We are looking at different promotion ideas now and with eist1 being a skin master it would seem we can fit a jukebox into just about any americans dream rec room or game room.The commercial market has me concerned with ASCAP license, money acceptor integrations, and the such so I think we will target home use first.The rental units are out once a month but its not enough revenue to help with the promotion cost.The rental units are just a way to get the jukebox infront of people in hopes they will buy one for their house.

Hey Barry I have pleanty of server space and bandwidth if you woul like to use some for a Freebox repository,as a matter of fact I will soon even have a 1U server available as I am replacing my 1U P3 with a P4, a P3 is pleanty for WAN server with internet access.Let me know.

Keep up the good work man

Fish