Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Dual Monitor Setup Problems

Started by alarsuel, May 14, 2011, 02:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Risim

I'm game but I think the best way is I'll send you the money you buy have it shipped to your adress. :beer

Barcrest

Quote from: alemar02 on May 23, 2011, 04:08:42 PM
I'm game but I think the best way is I'll send you the money you buy have it shipped to your adress. :beer

This is ok but i wasn't sure what one I would need. Are they all the same and you are seeing the issue with any USB type adapter. Also I need to confirm you are seeing the issue on XP and these work with XP.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

alarsuel

I got mine on craigslist for 20 bucks.  I know These work on XP and Vista, as that is what I've tried.  I'll throw a few bucks in, too whenever the plan is finalized.  Hell, I can even ship you the one I'm using.  It isn't any use to me until you can play with it anyway.

Risim

Quote from: Barcrest on May 23, 2011, 04:19:09 PM
This is ok but i wasn't sure what one I would need. Are they all the same and you are seeing the issue with any USB type adapter. Also I need to confirm you are seeing the issue on XP and these work with XP.
I dont have one at all but I need to purchase them.  On all my jukeboxes I'll have to use and extrernal video card.  So after you get this one setup right I'll have to then buy the same brand in bulk.  I was looking at one I think the brand was IOGear or something.
Another thing is I will need to convert these from what ever output there output is in (dvi, vga preffered) into rca, b/c in a bar sometimes tvs are really far away and dvi cables are extremely expensive.  I will like coffee's insight or tips on bar setups.

Risim

Quote from: alarsuel on May 23, 2011, 05:51:33 PM
I got mine on craigslist for 20 bucks.  I know These work on XP and Vista, as that is what I've tried.  I'll throw a few bucks in, too whenever the plan is finalized.  Hell, I can even ship you the one I'm using.  It isn't any use to me until you can play with it anyway.
Which brand is it?  Do you reccomend it?

Barcrest

Here in the UK the are run over composite video usually from the SVIDEO output on the main graphics card which is why I have never had to test the USB VGA adapters or even use them. To be fair I don't know why no one else is just feeding it from the SVIDEO output or the second DVI/VGA connector.

Jukebox Stats...

coffee

QuoteTo be fair I don't know why no one else is just feeding it from the SVIDEO output or the second DVI/VGA connector.
A lot of monitors come with only VGA support. Until now graphics cards came with VGA and/or DVI-I/A and to make matters worse, S-Video and Composite Video connections was stopped about a year ago. You don't get graphics cards with S-Video or composite Video anymore.
Now you will notice that DVI-I/A is also slowly phased out and will be replaced with DVI-D which is a fully digital out, no more analog signal on DVI for the future.
So if you want to connect an analog TV to your jukebox you ran into a problem if you have only one analog output available and you are using a VGA input monitor so more people will ask for this as it is the cheapest and easiest way to solve this with a external USB graphics card.

Risim

I have yet seen a external video card with s-video output.  I was thinking of getting one with a vga output and then buy a vga to rca/s-video adapter.   So far I think this will be the best way money wise.  All of my locations already have hd flat screens ,so resolution shouldn't be a promblem, and they are screaming for videos.

alarsuel

Barcrest:
The reason I use one is that I have a HP touchsmart all in one.  The computer and the touchscreen are together.  Unfortunately these CPU's only come with a mini vga output.  That is the ONLY way to output video.  These mini vga cables are proprietary to HP and impossible to find anywhere (I don't think they make them anymore).  They were only used for a few models of touchsmarts and HP mini laptops, but now the laptops have regular vga output.  Anyway, these mini vga ports are different than the mac mini vga ports where the cables are readily available.  I can't figure out any other way to output video to my flatscreen for karaoke lyrics.  My tv has many other options for input (component, composite, dvi, hdmi, etc), but the usb/vga adapter seemed like the only solution.

alemar02:
The adapter I have is USB/VGA.  I didn't get it here, but I'm 99% sure this is the same model I have:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Monitor-External-Adapter-USB2VGAE2/dp/B002FJQXXC

It seems to work fine, but I haven't played with it much.  My only real use for it is E Touch, so after verifying that I could expand my desktop onto it and trying to get E Touch to recognize it I didn't really put it through too many paces.

Barcrest

Quote from: coffee on May 23, 2011, 08:16:09 PM
QuoteTo be fair I don't know why no one else is just feeding it from the SVIDEO output or the second DVI/VGA connector.
A lot of monitors come with only VGA support. Until now graphics cards came with VGA and/or DVI-I/A and to make matters worse, S-Video and Composite Video connections was stopped about a year ago. You don't get graphics cards with S-Video or composite Video anymore.
Now you will notice that DVI-I/A is also slowly phased out and will be replaced with DVI-D which is a fully digital out, no more analog signal on DVI for the future.
So if you want to connect an analog TV to your jukebox you ran into a problem if you have only one analog output available and you are using a VGA input monitor so more people will ask for this as it is the cheapest and easiest way to solve this with a external USB graphics card.

OK, fair enough. I will have to have a play with one then and see if i can see why it doesn't work.

Jukebox Stats...

alarsuel

Any movement on this?  Still want an adapter sent to you?

Norman Marshall

My brother-in-law has a HP Touchsmart and his has a 15 pin vga on the side of it, Does yours and have you tried using this port for your second monitor, I'm sure you'll be able to extend your desktop using this vga port
Dear God, Please bring back Bob Marley, In return you can have Justin Bieber. Amen

bzpilot

Quote from: alarsuel on May 31, 2011, 07:01:40 AM

After reading this thread, is there any reason you just can't use the second screen on the Monitor 3 setting?

This is the way I've been using it with an internal dual output video card for a couple years now.  Touchscreen set as Monitor 1, Secondary Screen as Monitor 3, and Monitor 2 not used.  All works fine.

Maybe I'm missing something with this thread, but I think a lot of us use the dual monitor setup this way.

Norman Marshall

Quote from: bzpilot on May 31, 2011, 11:13:17 AM
Any movement on this?  Still want an adapter sent to you?

After reading this thread, is there any reason you just can't use the second screen on the Monitor 3 setting?

This is the way I've been using it with an internal dual output video card for a couple years now.  Touchscreen set as Monitor 1, Secondary Screen as Monitor 3, and Monitor 2 not used.  All works fine.

Maybe I'm missing something with this thread, but I think a lot of us use the dual monitor setup this way.
Thats how my juke is set up and i have no problems at all but this guy has a HP touchsmart so having a pci express card installed isnt that simple because there isnt any support for adding internal hardware
Dear God, Please bring back Bob Marley, In return you can have Justin Bieber. Amen

coffee

Quote from: GlennCarnell on May 31, 2011, 11:17:05 AM
Quote from: bzpilot on May 31, 2011, 11:13:17 AM

This is the way I've been using it with an internal dual output video card for a couple years now.  Touchscreen set as Monitor 1, Secondary Screen as Monitor 3, and Monitor 2 not used.  All works fine.

Thats how mine is set up and i have no problems at all
This may be a driver related issue. I'll have to play with the drivers and see what I can find.
It's just strange that everything works normal but E-Touch don't pick up the second monitor if it is a USB eXTERNAL gRAPHICS CARD. ???