Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Wall mount jukebox

Started by squirrellydw, October 09, 2007, 01:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirrellydw

I have finally started building my wall mounted jukebox, here are some pictures, nothing to exciting yet.  The computer will be in another room.  I hope to have most of it done by the end of next week.  The hard part is going to be bending the wood around the curves on the top and bottom.

[attachment deleted by admin due to disc space requirements]
Graphic creator of the original BnB, BnR, BnO and BnG Skin
Coffee is the man now

draginit

looks good so far. ;) what type of wood are you using, MDF? you could put two flat pieces to each corner and sand them round as needed to match. just an idea.

-so you are going to send the video of freebox wirelessy to the wallmount monitor? does that work for touchscreen? i have not tried this but think that would solve a lot of my problems for my rebuild.

-take lots of pics, i'll be curios to see what you use for the corners and i'll be following your build closely, your about a week ahead of me for building my wallmount due to parts.
Just when you thought it not possible....TwelveNinedy

Beeks

I know you can by MDF that allows it to be bent round etc ,  its like an MDF sheet but has chunks cut out to make it flexible to ur needs, ask at your local centre  i know its availble  Hope that helps
"He who has most toys wins"  And i am winning :D

squirrellydw

It's not MDF it's 7 ply plywood finished on both sides.  Plywood is a lot lighter than MDF thats why I choose it.  I did see that MDF stuff that you can bend but they don't have it at my local HD, going to check a few other places to.  I like this stuff http://www.kerfkore.com/  When it's all done it will be laminated black.

The jukebox will be wired, I will be cutting a hole in the back panel and in the wall.  Then I am going to use a long VGA and serial cable to connect it to the computer. 
Coffee is the man now

draginit

Quote from: squirrellydw on October 09, 2007, 01:58:43 PM
The jukebox will be wired, I will be cutting a hole in the back panel and in the wall.  Then I am going to use a long VGA and serial cable to connect it to the computer. 

nice, that will be clean looking, what about running the power chords into the wall too(hardwire maybe). that would give an almost picture frame style look.
-have you figured out how your going to mount it exactly? any type of reinforcement support on the back of the box? this has been a concern of mine for my build..quite a bit of weight.  what are you going to do?

squirrellydw

As for the power I am going to do one of two things.  Either install a new outlet in the drop ceiling where you can't see it or run an extension cable to it.  I think I am going to try the extension cable first, just easier.

As for mounting it, it is getting screwed into the wall if all goes as plan.  My basement is finished and where I plan to mount it there are two studs there, sorta.  The studs are only 1x3 so I hope it will hold,  I think it will with four screws going into it.  The back of the jukebox is 3/4 plywood so thats not a problem.
Coffee is the man now

squirrellydw

OK, here is another quick update.  A friend found some "wiggle wood" where he works at and gave me some.  I just cut it to size and now I am clamping it down.  I haven't glued it yet or anything, just seeing if I can get it bent into shape a little.  It is bent about as much as it can be I think.  I am going to try the top piece tomorrow and see how that goes.  If everything works out OK I should be able to start laminating it in a few days.

Coffee is the man now

squirrellydw

Bigger picture

Coffee is the man now

draginit

wiggle wood? never heard of it. is it similar to the other stuff you linked too? looks like its the right stuff for the job tho.

squirrellydw

the other stuff is more expensive.   I never heard of "wiggle wood" either until yesterday.  I will let you know in a day or two how it works.
Coffee is the man now

squirrellydw

I just glued the sides, top and bottom to the back.  I think the top and bottom pieces will make it easier to hold the "wiggle wood" in place.  Tomorrow I will work on bending the top and bottom "wiggle wood".  The first piece you saw was a quick test piece.  I hope to glue and screw them into place on Monday.

Coffee is the man now

squirrellydw

Just a few more pics, I started gluing it today.  I only glued the bottom half, the rest I hope to finish tomorrow.  You can also see I cut two middle pieces to help hold the wiggle wood down.

Coffee is the man now

squirrellydw

two more, the bottom one shows the wiggle wood bent

Coffee is the man now

squirrellydw

I was able to get everything glued, sanded and the whole cut for the monitor today.  It looks really nice, wiggle wood is great for bending.  I will try to take some pics tomorrow, the wife has the camera at a Tori Amos concert  ::)  Now I need to decide if I am going to laminate or paint this one.

I am thinking of making another almost like it but not angled.
Coffee is the man now

squirrellydw

OK, time for some more updates.  I have decided not to use this one and make a new one.  The wife likes the look of it all being squared so that is what I am doing since it is kinda for her.  So if anyone is interested in this one I will sell it to you for $60 plus shipping, monitor not included.  I will post pictures of the new one soon.

Coffee is the man now