Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Working up ideas on a new project.

Started by TeamTEOR, November 07, 2007, 01:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeamTEOR

Hello everyone,

My name is Tom, and a few of you might know or have seen one of my projects on a MAME forum. As I am getting ready to finish up my Mame cabinet I have been listening to music in it since the speakers are all mounted and the music is being played through my Zune. Doing this for a few afternoons gave me a great idea to make a Jukebox as well for my home office. 

I came across this software, and the cool stuff for it. After looking at a couple of the other projects here it has inspired me to try my own project. (Before I go any further, Yes, I will be donating to the software writer as well, it is the right thing to do.)

I want something that can sit in a corner, so my idea is to make a 5 sided diamond shaped enclosure, but I am open to other ideas that are possible. I do have a decent computer to use, if I recall it is a 1.8ghz with about 1gb of ram and a decent 3D video card, hard drive space is not an issure, they are cheap enough these days. To add into this mix is a 5.1 surround sound system. The plan was to put the sub woofer port in the front and the satellites on the sides. The top was to be angled some so that it would look like a kiosk when you walked up (I am hoping for a 15-17" touch screen for that spot). Then above it will be a 15-17" LCD for videos, with that LED setup above it.

I am not sure how all of this dual video and LED screen work together just yet, but I look forward towards finding out. If anyone can chime with any other ideas I would be willing to hear them out.

Thanks everyone!
Tom (Scottsdale, AZ)

draginit

hey tom, it sounds like your spot on with your ideas for the build. i like how you decided to incorparate it into the corner. am i reading that right? talk about maximizing your space! be sure to check out the touch screen thread. there are some good deals floating around at the moment for the large ones!
-i thought i would have trouble figuring out all the multi features this program has to offer too at first , but you;ll find its really quick and easy to set up. barry has gone out of his way to make this thing extremely user friendly and with kizers online manual you cant go wrong!
-i'll be eager to see how this build unfolds and BTW AZ rules! hehe, i get to move back there june next year.
Just when you thought it not possible....TwelveNinedy

Barcrest

You might not want 2 screens in one cabinet. I fend the second screen for music videos works better if it's elsewhere. That way the person selecting the songs doesn't get in the way of the video. On my system i use the TV out and display it on a television. You can do this using a video sender so you don't actually need any cables running to the TV.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

netcat

Hey Tom Make sure to check out my Arcade Cab it is one of two prototypes in the workd (that U know of) capable of sending display simultaneously to two serial devices (in my case an LED and an LCD)

http://www.780tech.com/arcade/

Barcrest

Quote from: netcat on November 07, 2007, 11:25:11 PM
Hey Tom Make sure to check out my Arcade Cab it is one of two prototypes in the workd (that U know of) capable of sending display simultaneously to two serial devices (in my case an LED and an LCD)

http://www.780tech.com/arcade/

Where did you get that LCD? Also does it work like a beta brite?
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

TeamTEOR

Well, here is an update. The PC is just about complete, I need to install the main storage drive and then I am all set. Due to problems with the 1.8ghz machine I will be using a 1.3ghz AMD Duron, 256mb of ram, AGP 3D video card, with about 600gb of storage running on bare-bones Windows XP build. I picked up on eBay a NEC 15 inch touchscreen LCD monitor and that is already working really nice for working the OS.  I'll be installing Freebox tonight or tomorrow on it. Once thats all tested I'll start to lay out the wood. I think that this project is going to stay single monitor unless I can make the idea in my head look nicer with 2 screens. I do have a 17 inch LCD that I could use for videos, or info. I just have none of that stuff in my collection at present. I am still having the ever present problem with getting my MP3s tagged and album art to work. Most of my stuff is supposed to have the album art embedded, so I'll check Freebox setting to see if I am missing something.

Thanks again for help and ideas.
Tom

draginit

remember to put the album art as its own jpeg in each album folder no more than 320x320 for optimal performance as i think embed artwork may cause problems.....i look for the thread.
Just when you thought it not possible....TwelveNinedy

Thatoneguydavid

yeah,  embedded artwork does cause problems.  im my case there were songs that would play partially or not at all.  when i removed the album art the problems went way.

TeamTEOR

God, thats not going to be an easy feat.... I bet that I'll need to re-encode all of that music to remove all of the embedded artwork.

Thatoneguydavid

you can remove all of the art work at once with itunes.

- add all of your jukebox music to the itunes lib.
      note: you can remove them when you are done if you maintain 2 libraries like i do. Sort your                    itunes library by "date added" and delete the tracks when you are done removing the artwork

- select all of your jukebox tracks, -right click -get info -delete the artwork -hit OK

this will delete all of the embedded art work in you jukebox files. 

as far as getting the new artwork.  that is a job  but most of it is on amazon. (this is the time consuming part) i only had like 600 albums so it did not take that long.  usually about 30 sec per album once i got an efficient set of steps figured going.  i just did it a little at a time while i was chilling on the couch watch'n Seinfeld.