Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Billboard Monthly Charts

Started by aetpilot, October 20, 2021, 03:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aetpilot

I have a data base of the weekly Top 100 billboard charts from August 1958 until May 29, 2021.  I have written code to convert into to the txt files for the E-Touch history files.  Before I finish this project I would like some input.  The database uses the artist and song title per Billboard.   The song title per billboard is all caps.

My plan is to convert the song title (try to adhere to) to the Chicago Manual of Style Capitalization Rules.
     1.  Capitalize the first and the last word.
     2.  Capitalize nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs (including phrasal verbs such as "play with"), adverbs, and subordinate conjunctions.
     3.  Lowercase articles (a, an, the), coordinating conjunctions, and prepositions (regardless of length).
     4.  Lowercase the second word after a hyphenated prefix (e.g., Mid-, Anti-, Super-, etc.) in compound modifiers (e.g., Mid-year, Anti-hero, etc.).
     5.  Lowercase the 'to' in an infinitive (e.g., I Want to Play Guitar).

As far as artist goes my plan is to:

1.  Convert "The Artist" to "Artist, The"
     2.  Change all "And" to lower case "and" while leaving "The" capitalized.  (Ex: Bobby "Boris" Pickett and The Crypt-Kickers).  Although it can be argued that "and" should sometimes be capitalized as in "Ruby And The Romantics".
     3.  I would also change the double quotes used to single as this has caused me some problems.  Bobby 'Boris' Pickett and The Crypt-Kickers.

Some Artists will just have to be manually changed.  For example 1973's Friend and A Lover by "The Partridge Family Starring Shirley Jones Featuring David Cassidy".
Other problems are Billboard uses "The 4 Seasons" and "The Four Seasons"
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.  Maybe most will not care, but I have spent a lot of time building a music library of Billboards Top 100 and would like to try to get this right.

Barcrest

Your plan sounds solid to me.  :beer
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...