Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

LeapinLew: Jukebox

Started by LeapinLew, May 31, 2008, 06:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeapinLew

Hey all! I'm a longtime user of Freebox and wanted to post my jukebox project here. This is my 2nd jukebox, and the first one was such a hit that my wife commandeered it for the family room. This one will be used for my smaller gameroom I'm currently building. I purchased a arcade machine a while back and the guy gave me a broken megatouch:

I just about threw this thing away on a half dozen different occasions. I ended up coming up with a plan and gutting it:

I'm going to use a 15" LCD Touchscreen for the interface, and an older laptop to run Freebox. The monitor won't fit within the existing frame. So I cut some new sides with a bit larger profile.

Here I traced out the new design on a piece of plywood.

I gave'em a test fit. At this point, I wasn't sure if I liked how it was looking, but decided to press on:

The holes are meant to be speaker holes, but I also plan on using some small neon rings.

I mounted the monitor on some plywood:

I laminated the sides, and spray painted all the metal parts:

The assembly of this went rather quickly. I don't have many pictures. The whole build only took a few days. Freebox is so easy to use and setup. I already had my music properly tagged and ready to go, so getting freebox to work only took a few minutes. I'm using a set of 2.1 computer speakers from Logitech.

Here are the finished pics:

As always... Thanks a ton Barry. If it weren't for Freebox, I'm sure the cool factor on these projects wouldn't be nearly as high without your quality work.

Barcrest

That is one sweet looking bartop juke you have got going on there lew... Damn i wish i could make cool stuff like that.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

netcat

I agree looks AWESOME !

any plans or technical specifications? parts used? sources?

it would be work writting a lil article it is VERY nice

squirrellydw

very nice, looks great with that skin
Graphic creator of the original BnB, BnR, BnO and BnG Skin
Coffee is the man now

Barcrest

You should write that up as an article for game room, don't forget to mention freebox ;)

Jukebox Stats...

LeapinLew

The skin is actually what drove me to the color choices. The new skins are awesome.

I don't really work with plans.... sort of make it up as I go.

The sound coming out of it is real good, but not as good as a large 2.1 speaker setup. It's perfect for it's application. The neons gave me the biggest trouble when doing the wiring. I'm not entirely sure I like all of them. I may get rid of them and just use a nice fan grill on the sides. We'll see...

Thanks for the kind words. Like I said, working with freebox is what does it for me. I have another jukebox being built now that I plan on using to replace my first one.

Barcrest

What app did you use on your first jukebox? Also any chance on you doing a write up for kev on one of these? Would be nice to get mentioned in the mag (Hell i would get a subsrciption then :p) even though i doubt it would bring me any more users...

Jukebox Stats...

kizer

You can use the Skin Editor to remove the spaces of the buttons you are not using to tiddy it a little bit.
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

eist1

Lew,

Could you by chance get some rough measurements from the front, top and sides of the bartop jukebox? This would be very interesting to try. Would be nice to have it moveable. Thanks

netcat

I agree this is one of my favorite countertop unit I woudl REALLY like to build something similar

Bondy

Very nice setup you have there i actually really like the neon's either side of the juke i think it helps give it that wow factor not that it needs anymore of a wow factor that is cool
What Dont Kill Me Only Makes Me Stronger ..... !!