Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

GENRE ICONS

Started by Barcrest, October 13, 2009, 08:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coffee

Quote from: eist1 on October 15, 2009, 03:31:39 PM
Coffee,

The issue with Genre's is that everybody has different ways of using their Genre's, like me, I use 70's Pop, 70's Rock. 80's Pop, 80's Rock, where some people may just put all 70's, 80's Pop under Pop, and 70's, 80's Rock under Rock. I would just let people get their own icons for each of their Genre's from the Flickr site, I got all of mine yesterday (you can see some of them on the screenshot above) I would just focus on doing the year buttons, as that will be used for everybody. I don't know what you think about the different background ideas for each set of years (1950-1959, 1960-1969, 1970-1979) but that might be an idea to go with. Let me know. If you want to come up with additional Genre buttons, that would be cool too, but may be more work as there are some pretty good ones on Flickr already.

Hi Eist

I now have a clearer picture of how all the genre stuff works. I never used the filter or genre option but I've clearly missed a lot.
So, as I understand it, you need year buttons say from 1970, 1971, 1973, .......1979 etc. for each decade but each decade need to have a different background image in the square button or do you need one button saying 1970-1979?
What size do you have in mind for these buttons in terms of pixels?
I have even more work now to get all my tags sorted. :D ;D

Coffee

Barcrest

Quote from: coffee on October 16, 2009, 11:03:07 AM

Coffee

Tell me about, 70% of mine are missing year or genre and i have been slowly going through sorting them. Good thing is i cn go into a genre and see what albums are there and use that as a reference fo what i need to fix up it will be a long job though taking up more time i don't have LOL.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

coffee

Quote from: Barcrest on October 16, 2009, 11:33:09 AM
Quote from: coffee on October 16, 2009, 11:03:07 AM

Coffee

Tell me about, 70% of mine are missing year or genre and i have been slowly going through sorting them. Good thing is i cn go into a genre and see what albums are there and use that as a reference fo what i need to fix up it will be a long job though taking up more time i don't have LOL.

Dude, I've never used the "search by" functions. I have to tell you that it is so cool.

eist1

Coffee,

Every year would need it's own image from 1950-2012 (just like what is in the skin image folder). Here is something I was thinking about for year decade

Obviously with some better text, but I just wanted to show an example. Those images are 170x170, so they could be used in the Filter section and could be blown up more or shrunk and still look good. Let me know what you think, I'm sure you will come up with something pretty cool.

eist1

Barry,

Having the ImageNotFound.jpg in the Genre folder works for Genre's that don't have an image, but if you page through all of your Genre's and on the last page if you only have 2 Genre's the 2 will show the correct image, but the other 22 boxes will have the image from the previous page in them (should be blank boxes). The boxes are not showing as empty.

coffee

Hi Eist

Here is the first samples of what I have in mind. I tried to create something to match most skins.

Coffee

eist1

Coffee,

Yes really cool...Can there be a black outline around the numbers? It may make the numbers look better. But I think it is definetely what would look nice. Others may have some input.

coffee

I can also give the numbers a black shadow and make the background lighter.

eist1

Yes, that looks better... Thanks for working on it. Can these also be made without the gray border around it? That way they can be dropped into a skin that already has a border.

Barcrest

Jukebox Stats...

coffee

Here's a sample without the border.

Barcrest

Damn that icon looks fantastic. Hardest part i think wil be finding images for the background of each on. Don't forget coffee these images are going to be JPG not GIF so they cannot have transparency. It might work better if the cornes are quared off.

Jukebox Stats...

coffee

Hi Barry

See the overlaping text at the sides. It seems like a skintool bug.
In the skintool you can set the genre images to 24 but 28 show up in the skintool. Then if you start up freebox you have 28 text lines but only 24 images. That is what is causing the problem.
Another bug I see is when you select "filter by genre artist year" everything is fine when you select "by genre" but if you after that select by artist or year , the genre images stays in the screen. I don't know if it is me or a bug.

Coffee

coffee

OK , to solve the genre issue I increased the number of genres from 24 to 28.

Barcrest

That is odd because if you see the image i posted up when i first hacked the default skin i was able to restrict them and didn't get the bug. I have already fixed the bug where images don't dissappear or clear as they should so that switch from the genres to artist or years will also be fixed. I will make a new beta tomorrow however i still have a couple of bugs i want to fix so it depends on what i can get done tomorrow.

Jukebox Stats...