Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

IR remote control of Freebox

Started by justtaint, August 22, 2007, 04:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justtaint

Is this possible?  I want to hook up my jukebox to my whole house audio (Russound CAV6.6).  I know multiple output zones aren't yet supported but is IR control?  All I need for now is basic functions like "Next Song/Video"  If its possible, what would I need?

Thanks

Barcrest

You need a remote that sends keypresses ideally.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

justtaint

I would like to use either of my Harmony remotes (628 and 670), but I'd be willing to purchase yet another remote if that's what it takes.

justtaint

Forgot to add I also have a Microsoft MCE remote (jukebox is running Windows XP MCE)

justtaint

To answer my own question...I started looking at http://www.lirc.org/ which led me to http://winlirc.sourceforge.net/
I have a few of the supported IR receivers, the previously mentioned Windows Media Center Remote, an ATI AIW remote, a bluetooth mobile phone, a few RC's from TV cards.  I'll have to check if any of them use a serial interface.

I'll update this thread with my research in case anyone can benefit from it.

Barcrest

i have mailed a guy that does software that turns the remote info into key pressess. his software is $15 i asked if we could get a discount.

Jukebox Stats...

netcat

I agree that would be nice, I know currently some commercial jukebox vendors have the ability to take over their jukebox and perform different functions like credits, skip, volume etc etc with a remote.

good idea

justtaint

My first attempt is going to be
I'm just a newbie when it comes to these things, so I'm not sure what to expect when I actually get to that point.  I'll have to further research what Barcrest means when he says "You need a remote that sends keypresses ideally."  I'm hoping Girder will take care of that.

I'm also looking into http://www.eventghost.org/wiki/EventGhost:About#Requirements

Barcrest

if you look in freebox options you will see you control most of freebox with a keyboard. You ideally want the buttons on a remote to send these key presses, this will allow you fairly good control of freebox.

Girder - AFAIK uses screen regions that you set and the buttons emulate mouse clicks in thoose regions.

Jukebox Stats...

justtaint

I think I'm on the right track with EventGhost+MCE remote.  I can get EventGhost to send the FWD button on the remote as any keypress I want.  The trouble I'm having is enabling Freebox to accept keypresses of any kind. 

I'm using Freebox V 2.1.16 (I couldn't get the new V 3.0.0 RC4 to install), and I have keypresses enabled in the settings.  I'm trying it with both the MCE remote and a wireless keyboard hooked up to the PC and neither is working.  Kinda hard to figure out if EG+MCE is working if I can't even get a keyboard to work.

Any thoughts?

justtaint

The error I get when trying to install the new RC4 is "this application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found.  Reinstalling the application may fix the problem"

justtaint

I rebooted and now I get "component MSCAL.OCX or one of its dependencies not correctly registered; a file is missing or invalid" when I try to install RC4

justtaint

Quote from: justtaint on August 24, 2007, 01:44:00 AM
I rebooted and now I get "component MSCAL.OCX or one of its dependencies not correctly registered; a file is missing or invalid" when I try to install RC4

took care of that by following these directions

http://www.fontstuff.com/mailbag/qvba01.htm

Barcrest

i guess i should start bundling those files in the installer.

Jukebox Stats...

justtaint

After having to download a couple of files and reboot the PC a couple of times I was able to get IR remote control of Freebox working.  I upgraded to V3.0 and everything is working great.

For the life of me I couldn't get Freebox to recognize the "i" keystroke, but "0" (zero) worked just fine.  I'm now able to boot up Freebox by remote and hit next track as well.

To summarize:
I'm using EventGhost
Microsoft MCE Remote (with IR blaster)
Russound CAV6.6 Receiver
Russound Uno-S1 and S2 keypads (for IR passthru)

All I have working so far is "Next Track" but I suppose I could get just about anything I want to work.