News:

Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

E-Bay Listing - A potential DIY project..

Started by berrywell, January 27, 2017, 09:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barcrest

Quote from: berrywell on February 13, 2017, 03:53:48 PM
Quote from: Barcrest on February 13, 2017, 11:36:24 AM
My Video Surfer is probably even heavier which is why it is in the garage doing nothing  :downer

I've got a horrible feeling that's where my Juke cab is going to end up as well.. :-\

I think the way to go is just use a touchscreen computer or a large touchscreen wall mounted running off a windows on a stick pc like the intel stick. I have been more than happy with tablet.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

berrywell

Quote from: Barcrest on February 15, 2017, 12:38:57 PM
I think the way to go is just use a touchscreen computer or a large touchscreen wall mounted running off a windows on a stick pc like the intel stick. I have been more than happy with tablet.

Yeah, I'm now really wishing I followed Mark's idea of mounting a widescreen touch monitor vertically and made my jukebox like that. I even looked at the SFF PC's that can be mounted off the VESA mount on the back of the monitor & still allow for wall mounting.

Mark Norville

The problem with a monitor though, is that it looks like a monitor, even if you use some woodworking skills, it probably would not look the same as a cabinet.

Which is why I tried to wrap the monitor, so it did not look as such.

As I say though, if you have brick, please remember that these are in pubs in most places, so if they can do it, so can you guys.

I did see a video once of a bloke installing a sound leisure if I can find it shall post it, he was doing an installation on his own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_mE6tkQIAc
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

berrywell

Thanks for the YouTube link Mark, I've just had a nose at it.

I don't think that the Juke Cab that I've got can be split in two like that, if it could, then that would make life a lot easier to work on it.
I shall have a nose later to see if it's possible.

Cletus

Does ANYBODY ever get their perfect cabinet finished - ever???

I found some old 'photo kiosks' (like used to be in supermarkets for printing photos) on a local auction site, and managed to get two, one for myself and one for a friend. Great size, it will sit on a table top or bar and still be accessible. Only a small touch screen (about 17") but fairly easy to carry around and set up at a friends place, for parties. The PC has HDMI out for 2nd monitor, and I'm now fitting Wi-Fi & Bluetooth cards to it to make 'visiting' connections even easier. I have a friend who is experimenting with hydro film dipping, so he did the front cover in flames, with panels in a checker plate design to break it up. I'm really wrapped at how it came out! One day I'll figure how to upload to 'you tube' and show off!
     The new project is more home-based: a 23" touch mounted in our pantry entry (just off the kitchen: I told the wife that she can look up recipes on it so have full permission!!); a PC hidden in my server area, and hopefully use the 55" TV in the kitchen/dining area for the 2nd monitor. we always have music on in the house, and we're all missing the previous juke setup, so this is the next step.

Always one more project to do!!!

Mark Norville

I personally would not use a second monitor, especially in a kitchen, and especially not a 55 inch. Unless you have a massive kitchen then a 55-inch tv will seem overkill. A jukebox will soon be obsolete in most areas of the house, with the invention of smart homes and smart devices such as the amazon echo, google home and Nvidia spot.

Jukebox will be for man caves only. Why touch when you can speak? The future is already here today, future plan your ideas, and it will save a lot of time and expense in the long run.

Regards

Mark
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

Barcrest

Quote from: Mark Norville on February 17, 2017, 09:14:01 AM
I personally would not use a second monitor, especially in a kitchen, and especially not a 55 inch. Unless you have a massive kitchen then a 55-inch tv will seem overkill. A jukebox will soon be obsolete in most areas of the house, with the invention of smart homes and smart devices such as the amazon echo, google home and Nvidia spot.

Jukebox will be for man caves only. Why touch when you can speak? The future is already here today, future plan your ideas, and it will save a lot of time and expense in the long run.

Regards

Mark

I don't think so yet.... Yeah they are less popular but people are settling for something easy to set up. Take spotify, yeah it's OK if you pay for it but the free version you  might as well have the radio on. A jukebox gives you much more than that especially when you have people over. Amazon echo, play my playlist.. Yeah nice but doesn't work so well if you want people queuing up their songs. Also the second screen for the muisic videos is the real benefit, it's far cooler than just playing a bunch of mp3's.

The thing is getting E-touch to work with voice command probably isn't that hard but i really don't see anyone wanting that.

Jukebox Stats...

Cletus

Yes Mark; a big kitchen! To expand:  I'm in Australia, so a big house , and the kitchen is kitchen & dining room (in Australia, we don't even have our laundry in the kitchen!). Our kitchen is sort of the central point of the house, so even though I've got a theatre room where all the good sound system is, we have the music going whilst we're doing... everything. It's rare for me to just sit and listen. And I love being able to hit a playlist, and know that I'll hear my sort of music; no ads, no repeats (I hate commercial radio), no bulls&it.

The TV is already in the kitchen and I ran extra HDMI whilst installing, so it's ready to go. Just working on the PC for it now....

Definitely need a juke in a man-cave; I'm still running SK jukebox there, but once I get the new touchscreen then I'll look at upgrading there (the man-cave is in my shed, so not part of the house).

Whew, that's my life story, almost!!!!

Barcrest

Quote from: Cletus on February 18, 2017, 01:48:48 AM
we have the music going whilst we're doing... everything. It's rare for me to just sit and listen. And I love being able to hit a playlist, and know that I'll hear my sort of music; no ads, no repeats (I hate commercial radio), no bulls&it.

This is how i pretty much use mine, I have a large local library so I use the E-Touch DJ feature. Pick a track and let it pick other related tracks to ensure i get a nice random mix of what I should like. If it strays from that I just pick another track..

Jukebox Stats...

berrywell

Well, another little update on this...

Tonight I've decided to have another play with this heavy, heavy monster sound.

I have a small MINIX PC, about the size of a cigarette packet lying around. Then I got thinking that this would be perfect to go inside the Juke Cab as it's extremely light and small, plus is powerful enough for just playing music files. The big worry was that it's running Windows 10.
With nothing to lose I plugged in a HDMI to VGA cable converter (as the MINIX PC only has HDMI out) and a USB to serial converter as for obvious reasons, it doesn't have a serial port. I then connected up the monitor in the Juke cab to the PC.
Well after 10 minutes of messing around with different drivers, unbelievably, the touchscreen started working with Windows 10.  The drivers came from Sound Leisures own website.

So, If anyone is thinking of getting one of these cabinets, I can confirm first hand, they work with both Windows 7 & Windows 10.

The downside for me though, is that I've discovered about half inch (probably about 15mm) around the edge of the screen, the touch just won't work. I assume this is a fault of the touch screen rather than a driver issue. I will have to have a dig around on the internet tomorrow to see if it's a known fault, an easy fix or I just have to make some 'narrower skins' for my cab.

Oh well, what's given with one hand, is taken with another....  :-\

Mark Norville

The commercial jukebox screens are never 100% if you look at a lot of pub skins, they are away from the edges.

berrywell

Quote from: Mark Norville on February 21, 2017, 10:01:57 PM
The commercial jukebox screens are never 100% if you look at a lot of pub skins, they are away from the edges.

Hi Mark,

Yeah, after I wrote the above last night, I investigated several Sound Leisure skins that come with these style cabinets. You're quite correct, they don't tend to go right up to the edges or if they do, they tend to have a massive button which can still be pressed away from the 'dead zone'.

Looks like I'm going to have to alter some of my 1024x768 skins to get them to work on my cab, which is a bit of a sod really as the amount of screen real estate on this resolutions is at a premium.

Mark Norville

Quote from: berrywell on February 22, 2017, 08:43:47 AM
Quote from: Mark Norville on February 21, 2017, 10:01:57 PM

I investigated several Sound Leisure skins that come with these style cabinets. You're quite correct

I had to leave the I am quite correct, just to prove that I am correct sometimes lol

However, this post is to get you thinking outside of the box on skinning. COPY THEIR FOOKING SKINS.

You have a cabinet which looks like the real deal, now make a skin that looks the real deal as well.

Regards

Mark

berrywell

Quote from: Mark Norville on February 22, 2017, 01:18:56 PM

I had to leave the I am quite correct, just to prove that I am correct sometimes lol

However, this post is to get you thinking outside of the box on skinning. COPY THEIR FOOKING SKINS.

You have a cabinet which looks like the real deal, now make a skin that looks the real deal as well.

Regards

Mark

Oh My God, looks like I was caught off guard when I replied to your message, admitting you're quite right, what was I thinking????? :P  ;D :D ;) lol

All joking aside though, it looks like I am going to have to come up with a slightly different designed skin for my cabinet.

Mark Norville

Honestly have a look at the skins that they have and copy one of them to hell. You will never please all of the people, e.g me as I do not use that resolution. It is easy to copy for the majority of the things, but when you come to history and other stuff like that, you have to start making that part up as they don't have that on commercial jukeboxes.

I am sat here like a twat (Nothing new) just waiting for Amazon to deliver my SSD's then I can start getting back on track, I know what I want to do, but implementing it is going to be harder with folder naming.

My plan of attack is

Top 100 singles (replacing karaoke) this will be the main screen
Top 100 albums background if someone wants a song not charted
Top 100 music videos

2017 start from the new year, and catch up
1980 to 2000s my favourite decades so might start there, then do other decades later

Then work on other Countries.

Probably have to spend a few thousand  on new computers or servers to get all of that, but I want it all. Fook it I am just going to buy the BBC, they already have all the albums and singles ever released.