Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Freebox Config V5 TEST

Started by Barcrest, March 30, 2008, 11:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thatoneguydavid

i agree.  i think this makes the most sense.   for example if i made a "mix tape" for some one i would probably save the tracks in a folder with a valuable name. (unless i was making a play list in some software package)

fat-johnny

Quote from: frosty on April 03, 2008, 01:32:06 AM
OK, found and fixed the bugs mentioned.

Now I need some help from you folks regarding compilations.

Right now a compilation is defined as a single directory with more than one track
where the track artists differ.  what comes next is where I need the help.

in the case above,  we can use any of the following for the "artist"
1) the album name
2) the folder name
3) "various artists"

Here is where it gets sticky.
when you have a directory with a mix of tracks from different artists and albums the track artists AND the track albums differ.
in this case we can only use the following for "artist"
1) the folder name
2) "various artists"

What do we use for the album name in this case?

Thanks for the help

Frosty

In a folder, if all the "Artist" fields in the tags are different, What about using a different field in the ID3 tag, such as the "Album Artist" or "Orchestra" or something to populate the Freebox field of "Artist" ??

In my tags, if I have a whole album of Madonna, the "Artist" is Madpnna, and the "Album Artist" is blank.

If I have a album by various people, like the album "Greatest Hits of the 80's", I have tagged each song with it's proper "Artist" like Rick Springfield, Madonna, Phil Collins, etc.., and the "Album" for these is "Greatest Hits of the 80's".  Then, I fill the "Album Artist" field with the name "Various Artists".

This would be helpful when there are albums that I always want to appear at the top of my library.  They all have different track names, and different artists, but I would make the "album Artist" tag to equal "!!! Fat Johnny's Favorites !!!" or "### My Favorites ###".  The ! or # would put them to the top alphabetically, and then they would always appear as the top album in my library, and not get mixed in with the rest of the "Various Artists".

This is also helpful with Soundtracks.  I make the "Album Artist" equal "Soundtrack", and all soundtracks all appear together under the artist of SOundtrack, not mixed in with the rest of the various artists.  I guess it is a very good way to differentiate between the diffeent types of albums that may have mixed artists on them.

What are your thoughts?
FJ

frosty

I like the idea, but with some reservations.

Right now freebox is pulling tags data  from mp3, wma, mp4, m4a, and tag files, each with its own tagging format.  I would need to find a tag that is common to all these formats, and the beta tagger would need some coding to add the "album Artist" tag.

Assuming the above can be tackled, I would still need a fall back in case the "album artist" tag isn't populated.

For now I'll just use the folder name and look into adding the "album artist" tag

Thunderball

Sounds great - IMHO, the 'Album Artist' tag probably isn't that widely used anyway, and would have a lot of us scrambling to 'fix up' our tags (again)--

spudgunman

Quote from: Thatoneguydavid on March 31, 2008, 05:03:44 PM
i cant run config 5.  it tells me there is a missing DLL and that the file type is unregistered.  any suggestions?

MSSTDFMT is the missing DLL

spudgunman

at about 25% on the bar i get runtime 6 overflow dont know if your loading up the current playlists, I have 50k tracks

this is when i use the current records database, if i delete and start over i dont get the error but still working on importing data.. i got a brodcast flag = 1 error on a track or two? whats that.

BTW great work on revamping the tool this was my major reason for not switching to this application.

spudgunman

Quote from: Thunderball on March 31, 2008, 09:10:14 PM
Config 5 locks up if I click on another window while it's running - have to go to the task manager to end it. When it did run all the way, it locked up and sent this to the error log:
3/31/2008 3/31/2008 4:08:04 PM: Error in DB_Generate, Invalid property value 55

i notice similar behavior says its locked up but watching disk access and its still working on files and parsing them but the application seems to be unable to handle might add in a do while to your loop so that processes can run in the background

spudgunman

while running a import on my large collection I got 27951 on loaded tracks and got a error DB_Generate "file allready open" 46. the application seems to then have had a internal lock as I couldnt debug out or tickle memory to get it to do anything. guessing the loop crashed but not sure as its not running away.

also it parses WMA files with Error: Type mismatch

spudgunman

should put all this in one post but better for reply to have a few.

after my crash on file in use, something happened and now app wont open with a run time on invalid property value. it changed something unknown (i couldnt trace it)

i then deleted v4 folder and reinstalled

same runtime on config5 load

i then imported some mp3 with config3 saved out

loaded config5 and its working again. not sure whats up as i saw no registery writing in place with your app

Barcrest

For various artists i just had a check that the artist name hadn't changed for that album and if it did i just tagged it as various artists. This is the way it should work in V5 config as well. I was away all weekend so i have not had the chance to look into this properly.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

d78

Quote from: draginit on April 02, 2008, 11:30:31 PM
mine too says missing dll file. (msstdfmt.dll) and its in my freebox folder.  redownloaded,  and same thing.

Same thing here.

spudgunman

is there any new builds that we can download? also is there any SVN yes for code for the main app to keep on top of the fixes?

Barcrest

Updated config 5.0.2 see the release notes txt.

Download

If you grab the latest V4 release i have included this file.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

spudgunman

i forget if you donate do you get up-to date builds of the application?

(since it cant handle my music load yet i haven't started using this application, just testing it out) but seems like your on track to getting the application more polished.

spudgunman

i just added 52k tracks and it didnt overflow!

there was some buffer errors from I assume problem tags but this is the first time I was able to add files with no crashing.

==

some issue I have found..

when I remove a album there is no indication it was removed (might add a a"working" text.box) also i must click the creation tools button to reload the list with the removed content (I would expect this to be a auto reload of the list when its removed)

also I cant select multiple items in the list box (by holding ctl)