Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

IDEAL JUKEBOX SETUP (according to Tony)

Started by netcat, May 07, 2007, 04:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

netcat

IDEAL JUKEBOX SETUP         (ver 1.0)
By: Tony Jimenez         May 06, 2007

Look for TinyXP Ver. 06                                             Use GOOGLE, Download, unzip & create an original CD
install Tiny XP (requires original cd of XP SP2)                Boot from CD select Option 4
Install drivers corresponding to your  hardware               (Wireless NIC & Touch screen are extra handy)
Turn OFF Windows Firewall                                         Properties of Local Area Connection, Advanced
Turn remote access ON                                             Control panel, System, Remote (TAB)
Set up Windows for best performance                          Control panel, System, Advanced, Performance,
                                                                            Adjust for best performance
Adjustments to Windows Virtual Memory                       DO NOT adjust let Windows manage it
If you wish to interact with the jukebox use                  REMOTE ADMINISTRATOR (www.radmin.com)
Install Tony's Big Beefy mouse pointer                          http://www.780tech.com/Cursor.cur
Set up an administrator password                                Control Panel, User Accounts
Make Windows type in password for you                       START, RUN, type: control userpasswords2
Download install WINRAR                                            http://www.rarlabs.com/
Download Install & configure BOOTSKIN                        http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/
Download Install & configure OBJECTDOC                      http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/
Download Install & configure WINAMP                           http://www.winamp.com/
Download Install & configure FREEBOX                          http://www.juketastic.com/
Get rid of Windows explorer interface                           Use REGEDIT (at your own risk!)

Steps to modify your registry to boot to Objectdock instead of explorer

RUN:                       REGEDIT
Follow path:             [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
Look for key             SHELL
Modify value:            C:\Program Files\Stardock\ObjectDock\ObjectDock.exe"

Note: I originally intended for PC to load OBJECTDOCK as a service and boot directly to Freebox thus proviing the OBJECTDOCK interface when exiting Freebox, so far however I have not been succesfull in making  OBJECTDOCK run as a service, so I have PC booting to OOBJECTDOCK and from there you must select FREEBOX (as shown in figure 2)

If you wish PC to boot directly to freebox replace above green line with:

Modify value:            C:\Program Files\Freebox V2\freebox.exe

(Figure 1) This is what my jukebox looks like when it is booting

(Figure 2) This is what my jukebox PC looks like once fully booted

Once everything is set and done your entire installation should be less than 1 GB and you jukebox should run much, much faster

coffee

Thanks, it looks great. I'll have a look at it.

coffee

Hi Netcat

I got tinyxp and it makes a huge differents. The biggest differents is in speed, everything is so much faster and it look and "feels" nice too. A friend had it and he did the install as well.

Thanks Netcat

squirrellydw

how much faster is it?  Where do you notice the differece at??
Graphic creator of the original BnB, BnR, BnO and BnG Skin
Coffee is the man now

netcat

your entire system will run much faster you will notice speed increase everywhere, you have never seen windows run this fast before

Read this quote about tinyXP I found on the Internet

"This TinyXP not only runs fast, but takes up only 400Mb total space on your system hard drive. Thats the "WINDOWS" folder, "Documents and settings" and "Program Files." By using only 40Mb of RAM, this allows your PC to run fast, I mean VERY fast!"

I have created a ghost image which should work on anyones PC that is all setup and ready to go as per my screenshots above, if anyone wants to give it a go let me know entre siz is (396MB)

coffee

All I can add is that it is deffinatly the way to go. It a huge differents.

kizer

Ive installed TinyXP in the past and yes its fast. The only thing I didn't like about it is the DHCP was stripped out of it so if your using DHCP or running a Wireless card it will not find an IP address on its own. I was going to use it on my Jeep computer so I could find wireless connections at hotspots, but without DHCP it wouldn't assign an IP address.

Unless of course the version of TinyXP you have does have DHCP support?
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

netcat

There was 1 release some time ago with DHCP stripped

this is no longer the case

my machine has a wireless nic and obtains IP via DHCP

The author does mention however he has stripped support for laptop computers (not sure how), then again he said office wouldnt run and I got that working fine.

squirrellydw

Quote from: netcat on May 25, 2007, 09:48:28 PM

I have created a ghost image which should work on anyones PC that is all setup and ready to go as per my screenshots above, if anyone wants to give it a go let me know entre siz is (396MB)

I will try it, how do I get it?
Coffee is the man now

netcat

Got image ready on webserver.

email me for address tony @ 780tech . com

squirrellydw

email sent

couple questions

do I still need to download tinyxp, if not do I just burn the image to a CD and install it that way?

once it is setup what updates should I download from MS?

Thanks
Coffee is the man now

kizer

Ok, heres my opinion on the updates from Microsoft. If you do not need them I would not download them. TinyXP, MiniXP and lord only knows how many others are out there. What happens is when you load them up they are a chopped down version of the OS typically generated from Nlite. When you visit the update site it looks at your OS and says hey you are missing this and that and installs it. Sorta defeats the purpose if you know what I mean. If you are looking for a specific update it wouldn't be a problem, but becareful because you might install things that are simply going to load on startup slowing things down. If you install anthing that requires the .NET framework you are going to have to look for "login automatically" in google because when you install the .NET framework it creates a user and disables the auto login stuff, which really rocks because it speeds things up and you dont have to use a login. Looking for that will help you. Looks like its already at the top of this thread.  "Make Windows type in password for you START, RUN, type: control userpasswords2"

I went from a machine that was a standard install of XP and it took 2minutes to load on a 1ghz machine to around 53seconds.

My 2ghz machine running TinyXP rev 06 takes around 33seconds from the intial power on button to sitting waiting for you to click on something.

You could also look into using hibernation instead of shutting down and starting which would speed things up tons, but its just a matter of going against the norm. ;)
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

squirrellydw

thanks, now I just need to find a copy of ghost.  I have it some where
Coffee is the man now

netcat

netcat

havent hear d back from you squirel how did this project go ?