News:

Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

E-Bay Listing - A potential DIY project..

Started by berrywell, January 27, 2017, 09:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Norville

I would say straight away that 500 gig is far too low for storage unless you are being very tight on what you want.

I transferred 2 unlimited almost discography and that was 1 gig plus so unless you very selective on what you want then 500 gigs is just not enough, I am currently on 3 2 TB hard drives 1.81 useable. I have one for music videos, one for albums and then the other for singles.

I was pulling my hair out all day as I was trying to get everything how I wanted it, which was to try and download every album and single since the dawn of time, yet some albums are not available, and you could be there for God knows how long sorting stuff out.

Also the fact that eTouch does not have any special facility to make each weeks releases stand out, I am literally tagging an album, and then I have been playing with files to folder so I can take an album, put each track into it's own folder, then rename the file so that the song title is the album title, and then saving the cover file in the folders, beats messing around.

I am not sure how I am going to manage music videos yet, but I know that I want to go through the charts to get as many as possible, but then I might just leave those in artist folders.

However, I am digressing a bit now but 500 gigs YUCK.

Go big or go home ;)
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

jukejohn

I only use 500gb did use larger ones but no point as I found anything bigger I was putting all sorts of shite on that
never got played
so I stripped back for quality instead of quantity as I live on my own so its mainly for me and my flavours

only use video and mp3s no karaoke

but one day might do a flac jukebox and up my drive to 1tb

Mark Norville

Flac is probably a waste of time being honest unless your hearing is 100% most people cannot notice any difference between the two apart from file size. Always a good idea to listen to an mp3 and then flac and then see if you can notice a difference.

Also with flac, you will get fewer albums or songs unless you rip yourself.

I am playing with using karaoke for singles, mainly because I always wanted a singles box, so I have the singles/karaoke as my main launch but at the moment that could change, as just trying to decide what I really want.

I don't know why I bother, to be honest as I very rarely listen to music, it is just a boys toy for me, and a bit of flash if ever have company.

At the moment I am trying Plex for my movies rather than kodi, so trying to have everything on three computers, anyway back to movie, and carry on downloading lol
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

berrywell

Mark, I'm only using 500GB initially as I happen to have a spare one lying around. Using this just saves me laying out more capital than I need to at the moment as I do have quite a few other (non-jukebox) bills to currently pay.

I do plan to have two large HDD in the Juke, one with audio and the other having video. It's just a case of taking one step at a time for me as I have charged right in, in the past & ended up spending more than necessary on things that I didn't really need.
I'm currently trying to get by on things that I have lying around, getting to see how things work and then sitting down & working out what I actually need and upgrading as necessary.

Mark Norville

I hear you sooner spend your money on women and booze and jukebox comes second, tut tut ;)

berrywell

Quote from: Mark Norville on March 03, 2017, 09:08:18 AM
I hear you sooner spend your money on women and booze and jukebox comes second, tut tut ;)

Well, I didn't like to say  ;D 8) :D

jukejohn

yes mark your right about mp3/flac comparison which I've tested many times but in general
my 55 year old ears couldn't tell the difference on newer tracks but could however  on older
stuff mainly 60s/70s tracks had more punch and depth

anyhow this idea as been in my head for about 5 years so probably wont happen

how's the portrait skin any joy mate

Mark Norville

I now have all four PC's up and running, I just need to find the last version of the skin that I was working on, I transferred two across today but have others on the other hard drives so I will have a look at them and see where I am.

I have not done any skinning or tagging since last year so need to catch up again.

I might have a look this weekend as just trying to get everything up and running again as all on minimal at the moment as been doing fresh installs on SSD's.

Once I get back into it again then it should not take too long, famous last words, but now that I have my final set ups, I really want to finish.

Regards

Mark

jukejohn

sounds like you suffer the same syndrome as me starting on one project then jump to another and another
then I realise I've got 3 jukes to Finnish and a kodi project using dvb-s

so determined to finish kodi project this weekend and a costumers juke

hopefully  ::)

Barcrest

I used a pc that has a power on when mains is connected option in the bios. Not sure if any do that now as it isn't something i have looked for since putting the pc in the video surfer.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

jukejohn

I used that method when I did pub jukes in the past using mini xp tried it with windows 7 but ended up with boot errors

Mark Norville

Quote from: Barcrest on March 04, 2017, 02:05:40 PM
I used a pc that has a power on when mains is connected option in the bios. Not sure if any do that now as it isn't something i have looked for since putting the pc in the video surfer.

I just tried this now as thinking about putting my arcade PC back in the cabinet today. Sadly it was not what I wanted, I switched it off at the switch and then pulled the cable out and it did restart however it wanted to check if Windows is buggered so that might do more harm than good to the hard drive.

I was hoping that it done what the PC that I had done which was even when I hit the shut down button, it would instantly reboot itself sadly it just shut off.

Still the option is there, incase of a power failure, but you would need to hit a key board just so that it does not go into recovery mode.

Barcrest

Quote from: Mark Norville on March 06, 2017, 11:03:35 AM
Quote from: Barcrest on March 04, 2017, 02:05:40 PM

I just tried this now as thinking about putting my arcade PC back in the cabinet today. Sadly it was not what I wanted, I switched it off at the switch and then pulled the cable out and it did restart however it wanted to check if Windows is buggered so that might do more harm than good to the hard drive.

I was hoping that it done what the PC that I had done which was even when I hit the shut down button, it would instantly reboot itself sadly it just shut off.

Still the option is there, incase of a power failure, but you would need to hit a key board just so that it does not go into recovery mode.

You still need to shut the pc down correctly which is why I added the shutdown pc option to e-touch. You could of course automate that with a UPS if you really wanted to.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

berrywell

As my Jukebox never came with a PC, which I'm currently building, does anyone know what size PC case these units take?

I've purchased a cheap HP* SFF PC off eBay but annoyingly even this is far too big to sit on the empty shelf I assume is for the PC. The motherboard inside the PC is tiny though and would fit in but I'm unsure whether it's safe to place the internals of the PC in the Juke without them being in a PC case.

* even though it's a HP PC, I have performed a clean install of windows on a brand new SSD, there are no longer any HP bloatware on it now.

Mark Norville

Firstly they do not come with cases, they are just a mobo attached to the frame that would be where you should look first.