Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Fish's Jukebox

Started by jonfinpausa, April 03, 2007, 10:41:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kizer

I know its one of those out there projects because of time and well "little" things in our life, but are you thinking of two versions? One being server/client or is it going to be an addon or maybe a plugin to a stand alone?

Im only asking because after a while a program can only get so big before its memory usage in some cases gets labled as bloat because of all the features added that nobody uses. I myself would tinker with it, but wouldn't use it a lot, but on the other hand guys with Pubs and bars and heck future customers would.

Would I like to see this on the market? Oh yeah, I think it would simply rock.
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

jonfinpausa

It will Rock and I would love the be the US distributer for the product.

Im workin on the Jukebox sales, if they go over well you might just have a job Barry  ;D

Lets see what happens.

Barcrest

Basically all it involves is a change to how the queue works... There will be a setting in the app to run it in client or server mode and just some settings to point to the server drive. It all sounds simple but changing how the queue works is going to take time.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

jonfinpausa

Thats ok Bro, you keep making the software better and Ill work on getting the Jukeboxs to the market.I already Boss and Touch Tunes under control, they want the commercial pay per song market and we can take some of that business with a ASCAP license which is 400.00 per year per unit, but I dont want to challange that market yet.I would rather see people put them in their homes for personal use.
I have the price down pretty good now so its just a matter of marketing.

I have 2 rental units that are pretty much booked out most weekends and that is the best advertising I can get.People are at partys and functions and see the touch screen jukeboxs and want one for themselves or at least want to rent one for their partys.

My website traffic goes up every Sunday after the jukeboxs have been out on rental.

jonfinpausa

Microsoft is driving the price of the jukebox up 135.00 per Jukebox due to licenses for the OS.
I can save maybe 10 or 15 bucks using WEPOS but I'm not sure its worth it.

I have a email into MS now and Im waiting for their response to licenses for an OS that is embedded just for a jukebox application.I have not heard back but i think they will prolly tell me to get stuffed unless I want 1000 licenses or more to start.Thats why Im looking at a possible different OS solution.Heck we only need Sound and Video and maybe networking.It would be great to just embed the entire package into one solution leaving what space is left on the hard drive for the music/video librarys.Its cheaper at the moment to leave as it is and pay MS the license until jukebox sales are abundent.

Im working on it !

Fish

kizer

Ok, I have one for you. How are you addressing the royalities for putting music in your Jukeboxes and renting them?

For example if I play a song off the Blink182 album aren't they going to want a cut because your using their song at a party and making money? Or is it because you own all the albums in the jukebox because you are using one copy and the box with the original copy goes with?

Anyways Im just asking to ask not to put out your fire because I think its a killer idea myself. You could practically call it "DiGiTal deJAY" or something of the sorts. Heck maybe I should build another thats light weight and tote it around. hahaha
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

jonfinpausa

Well Kizer royalities are only paid to artist if the customer is paying to listen to that song.I could purchase a ASCAP license for 400.00 per year per Jukebox if i wanted the customer to pay for each song being played or I want to collect an extra dollar to play the song now.

When I rent a jukebox,the customer is renting the equipment to play the music and make the sound, not for each song which is being played.Bill exceptors are not even connected in the rental units.Now one might argue how many copies of the music I have verses the number fo jukeboxs I have rented at one time.Example, if I have two jukeboxs out on the same day and the same time I should have 2 copies of each song that is on the jukeboxs providing that album and song was played at the same time on each jukebox.

Our attorneys say, for anyone to sue us they would have to prove we dont have 2 copies of the song and that song was played at the same time on the same day.So if an artist lawyer can prove that, then maybe he would be able to file a suit, but most likely we would be ask to purchase a second or third CD.But they would have to prove all the above first.

Fish

Barcrest

There are changes coming in the next version of freebox where if you don't have a commercial licence you get a big warningscreen on boot up for a minute stating it's only for home use and it will have my email address on it and offer a reward for anyone paying to use the software. If you have a licence file than you won't see this....  This is part of my lock down.

Jukebox Stats...

jonfinpausa

cool beans Barry, Its about time you get some of these guys to start paying up.

Fish

kizer

Egads. Now my bootup time will take a lot longer. bahahahaha

Well I suppose if it needs it, it needs it.  ???

coffee

Hi Barry

Personaly I would use a banner on the main screen. It wouldn't be a problem to set your display to switch on after 2 minutes or so after the splash screen is gone. With a banner there is no easy way around it.
Well you could try and stick a peace of paper over it.   ;D

Coffee

Barcrest

Ok, the nag screen is not going down to well... How do i stop people using this for profit without paying me? Suggestions please.

Jukebox Stats...

jonfinpausa

hmmmmm, you could limit how many albums or make it count how many times freebox
played and then pop-up a thanks for trying Freebox message and make the program close.

Dont compile that module of the code for those versions available to people who have donated.
This would also let you go back and add it to all the other versions if you wanted to

fish

jonfinpausa

hey Barry,

you know there is no way to delete albums with the new config3 file in the latest version?

kizer

Quote from: Barcrest on April 19, 2007, 11:01:04 PM
Ok, the nag screen is not going down to well... How do i stop people using this for profit without paying me? Suggestions please.

I like coffees suggestion. Maybe a banner or some kind of image or whatever that sits at the top left of the program that says thank you for using Freeboxjukebox URL here and after a minute or some determined time it can fade away or a splash screen that is timed delay. I personally dont mind waiting a minute or whatever is reasonable to use it. I think it should however say "Thank you for using Freeboxjukebox http://www.freeboxjukebox.com. This application is not intended for Commerical use.

Is it possible to code the app so no matter what version is installed it runs with whatever method you choose and a file or key can be installed in the directory to disable it for the commerical "Paid" users? Ive donated a few bucks and I often know splash screens or nag screens are for freeware typically, but in this case those without donations are limited to less features.